• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Plant foot

ambiguous said:
Heel pivot gives me a lot more power.

I believe Blake has told me this as well, but I have NO idea how in the world you guys pivot on the heel. Whenever I've tried it, I end up just throwing the disc almost straight up.

I really think that it's one of those mechanics that you learn in another sport and transfer intuitively. I never played baseball and to me it seems similar to the look a player has when he swings for the fences (although I believe Blake said it's not really the same motion, the heel does pivot in a similar fashion).

For me it's balls of my feet all the way, like it or not.

kcantrell:

yah, you should feel like you are kinda moving forward pretty fast. stepping through your pivot with your back leg is key.

however, you should be in full control until well after the disc is out of your hand.

Blake (et al),
I usually keep good control but this comes with a price and that is that sometimes my plant foot seems to be stuck to the pad and I torque my plant knee. I have tried to keep my plant leg bent more and that seems to help but it also makes it harder to feel when my center of gravity is in the right spot at the hit and I end up throwing on an unintended line. So, I think a bent plant leg is desirable for many reasons (you have said as much I believe in at least a few articles) but my question is how bent? In looking at the videos on your site here it is clear that the good players are not standing straight up at the hit and it looks to me like during the pull through, just before the hit, their center of gravity is just behind their plant foot (and moving forward obviously). Do I have this about right? The short of it is that I have been doing the x-step for about a year now and I still haven't added much distance to my drives. This is timing primarily I know but I am one of those "at the 360' plateau" players and I have thrown 390-400' but not consistently. I think I will try to make a video and post that because it is very difficult to convey via text.
Kurt Cantrell