• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Playing in the rain

Cruz Duck

Bogey Member
I signed up for my first dg tournament about 2 weeks ago. The tournament occurs this Saturday. I looked at the weather forecast and it shows rain all week through the weekend. Not especially cold (mid 50's) but rain nonetheless. I have played in drizzly conditions, but never full on rain, so I am looking for advice on playing in the rain.

I am not expecting to play great. It is my first tournament and I don't plan to pay attention to my score. I just want to have fun. However, I want to be comfortable and I don't want to play too bad.

1) I was told that star and champion plastics get more slippery than dx and pro. Thus it is better to throw dx and pro in the rain. Agree/Disagree?

2) I assume extra towels, hat, umbrella, raincoat, anything else I should think about?

3) I usually play in trail runners, would hiking boots be better? The course is mostly woods and meadows. If it really rains all week, there will be some mud. The trail runners have goretex uppers and vibram soles, but I have not tested them in rainy conditions.

4) I assume most throws will be standstill or one step. My guess is that a run up is not a good idea in slippery situations? Maybe on teepads?

It really won't be too much different minus toweling the disc off more. Make sure you pack the extra towels in a ziplock. Also expect the field to shoot 3-5 shots worse than normal.

optowesome said:
It really won't be too much different minus toweling the disc off more. Make sure you pack the extra towels in a ziplock. Also expect the field to shoot 3-5 shots worse than normal.

multiple small towels (like a dozen) in ziplock bags. 6 first round, 6 second round, 3 holes per towel. if it's really pouring wear the right gear and consider an umbrella, although you'll be soaked anyway.

cruz duck said:
My guess is that a run up is not a good idea in slippery situations?
You should play this one by ear. It would be a blessing in disguise if you were not allowed to run up imo.

The boots might throw your whole foot aspect off but with little to no run up this may be moot. If this is a multiple round tourny bring them both. Maybe take a walk (because I bet you're like me and will get there 2 hours early on the first tourny) in your TRs and judge how they do and bring extra socks.

I should have mentioned that it is a one round fund raiser.

I like the idea of taking both pairs of shoes and trying both out.

TOWELS. take as many as you fit in your bag. I had the mistake of only bringing two and that didn't go so well. It doesn't matter what plastic you have if its covered in water :)

I always put my throwing hand under my shirt (by my stomach) while we were walking or waiting on others to throw. That usually helped with not having to towel off my hand. Probably not a ground breaking tip, but I found it useful.

We had an alt course made for the tournament I played in so the Tee's were just grass. However, if you have concrete tee's putting a towel at the end of the tee for better traction for your plant foot isn't a bad idea.

An umbrella can be useful if you want to carry it around. A lot of players set it over their bag with they were throwing so the rain wouldn't get on them. Not sure how useful that is since you're carrying around your bag anyways, but could help.

I would make sure your hands are dry. Get some dry hand stuff (the tacky, paste type stuff that drys out your hands). It's super cheap for a bottle. Then just worry about keeping your discs as dry as possible.

lots of towels like others have said. When I played in a tourney with rain I took a garbage back and poked my quad straps through the bag. Kept my bag dry and all my discs from getting wet. It was raining hard enough I had to wear a rain suit but I was too Hot with that on. If you have a nice waterproof shell that would be good.

Paintball1084 said:
When I played in a tourney with rain I took a garbage back and poked my quad straps through the bag. Kept my bag dry and all my discs from getting wet.

Awesome idea that I have never thought of!!

Thank you for that

disc junkie said:
Paintball1084 said:
When I played in a tourney with rain I took a garbage back and poked my quad straps through the bag. Kept my bag dry and all my discs from getting wet.

Awesome idea that I have never thought of!!

Thank you for that

I am glad i can help, If I didn't have a rain suit on I would think the bag would make the rain run into my back but it worked well with the rain suit. I could even get my discs out the hole in the bag that was at the bottom!!!

One thing that hasn't been mentioned about using an umbrella is the break it provides from being pounded on by the rain. Sure, you're going to be wet regardless, if it is raining hard, but being able to get out of the direct hits for a while really helps w/ attitude and perseverance (especially if its gonna be in the 50s. I have a feeling that is gonna be cold if you're wet (highly advise bringing a rain jacket and rain pants))

Get a hot chick to go with you and hold the umbrella, while wearing a shirt whose wetness will distract the other players.

Otherwise, the other suggestions are good. Make sure you have dry towels, socks, and shoes to spare, and that you can dry off your hands at will. A good rain jacket w/hood is also nice.

In my experience keeping the discs and your throwing hand as dry as possible is key to everything. When your grip is gone, so is your distance and consistency. I've seen 1000 rated guys DNF due to this, so I cannot stress this enough.

The other guys have already pointed out the most important points. I'll recap them and add the little extra advice I have.

1) warm/dry your hand by putting on you skin when walking
2) bring extra towels. Also keep them dry! I recommend putting them in watertight/plastic bags. They are of no use to you if the end up wet.
3) use the umbrella to keep you discs dry. Use a good raincoat to keep yourself dry.
4) Expect the rounds to take drastically longer time. I spent 6 hours on a tournament round once this year. If you don't mind carrying a chair, then this could really save you when you have to wait a lot.
5) have a look at your bag. Is there anything you can do to make it more waterresistant? My old innova DISCarrier easily got soaked from the bottom up. Therefore I put plasticbags in the bottom of it.
6) The choice of plastics makes a difference in grip. However, sticking to the discs you know is more important. If those are Z plastic, then work harder to keep them dry.
7) Test out the foot grip before you start. Also expect the grip to change after 50 other guys have played the hole you're about to play.

You could also have a look at this nice little video from a rain heavy tournament I played.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6GGa6aTnWQ

I play in the rain quite abit. Rain or shine I will play. I like the towels in the zip lock bag thingy. I usually just go out bare-bonez when its raining. 5 discs, my bag, 2 towels, and my car keys. If its real heavy I might not play but usually its ok for me.

Water proof pants helped me last winter. It was nice because I could sit anywhere and not get soaked.

Keep in mind that when you play, if you carry what's recommended, you're:

Dressed in rain pants/jacket, warm clothes underneath, disc golf bag, umbrella, seat, extra towels and your drink. It's a pain in the ass walking around with all that crap. you have to put it all down, throw, pick it all back up, etc.

Not saying don't take it, but be mentally prepared for the road show. Remember, everybody should be drying their discs before they throw and after they pick up. Everything will take longer.

I'd recommend some nice warm socks, boots and waterproof gear (pants/top) so that **you** stay dry. You can hang out all day if you stay warm and dry, but once you get wet, it just blows. What you have to avoid is the mental fatigue and the thoughts of "F** it, I just want to get it over with and go home."

I've had rain set for the weekend and it's cleared up or been random showers, so be prepared to either carry stuff with you that you'd planned on wearing, or to actually wear it.

Think about the course and the discs you'll use, scale back where you can so you have less to carry. Pack your bag with whatever you're going to take a day or two before you leave so you know everything will fit and you know what the weight will be.

There's another good thread about this same subject if you can find it.

Last rainy tourney I played, someone on my card was hanging their towels from the struts of the umbrella. I tried it, it does keep them dry for just a little while longer.

chiggins said:
Last rainy tourney I played, someone on my card was hanging their towels from the struts of the umbrella. I tried it, it does keep them dry for just a little while longer.

I do that and use that towell just for my hands.

others have mentioned most of the good tips, but the following seems logical, but most dont think about it anyway and that is: Dont use your throwing hand to pick up the wet discs. Use your off-hand to handle all wet discs.

In addition to all the above good advice, the most critical piece of rain equipment I have is my 3-legged stool. Not for me; for my bag. Unless your bag is waterproof, it'll soak up water every time you set it on the ground, in the mud or on wet grass. Then it transfers to the contents and your back, as well as weighs the bag down. A decent stool is $6 at Dick's, a quality one is $20-25 at REI or DG sellers ($6 one has lasted me just fine).

Another change I make is taking off the quads and putting on a single shoulder strap. One reason is the padding gets wet and sops into both shoulders, but the main reason is with quads the bag is behind you and harder to keep covered with the umbrella. Rain often runs off the umbrella into the bag. With a shortened single strap I can carry my bag under my arm, easily covered by the umbrella. It's also a lot easier to set the stool and drop the bag on it while still under the umbrella. I have to kind of sling the bag to the side with quads and lean over to set it on the stool.

Thanks for all of the great advice.

They are now saying "consistent, light rainfall through the weekend". If true, I am not so worried about getting soaked. But I am still concerned about keeping my discs dry and my feet dry. Even if the rainfall is light, the grass will still be wet and there will be mud.

Anyway, I will take extra towels (in ziplocked bags), take warm socks and take an umbrella. I will take both my trail runners and boots. Also, a stool will come in handy. I will work on keeping my throwing hand dry (I like the idea of picking up discs with my offhand.)

I have a good rain jacket, but it doesn't seem real flexible. I am worried that it will greatly affect my throws. I will probably take it and throw a few test throws.

Latest posts