• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Post pics of your Disc Dog

my dog made the local news:

http://www.thehour.com/a-day-at-the-park/image_5a64da98-28bf-11e4-8b46-001a4bcf6878.html

53f52b30cdc88.image.jpg

^the photographer was actually pretty demanding..lol... he requested about 6 different shots and I had to throw that floppy dog disc (that weighs like 100g) at different angles to get the "proper lighting". he even requested things like "can you curve it towards me? ok ok, now can you curve it away from me?"

It was like a high pressure/tournament disc throwing situation. hyzers/anhyzers and dead straight shots on demand!

lol...I was lucky that my dog was so motivated to catch. he snagged every throw (even the planned high ones that required him to jump 6ft in the air.

my dog made the local news:

http://www.thehour.com/a-day-at-the-park/image_5a64da98-28bf-11e4-8b46-001a4bcf6878.html

53f52b30cdc88.image.jpg

^the photographer was actually pretty demanding..lol... he requested about 6 different shots and I had to throw that floppy dog disc (that weighs like 100g) at different angles to get the "proper lighting". he even requested things like "can you curve it towards me? ok ok, now can you curve it away from me?"

It was like a high pressure/tournament disc throwing situation. hyzers/anhyzers and dead straight shots on demand!

lol...I was lucky that my dog was so motivated to catch. he snagged every throw (even the planned high ones that required him to jump 6ft in the air.

Obviously you love your heeler; I'm looking into dog breeds for a late spring addition to my lonely new place. One of my high school friends had a blue heeler, I LOVED that dog, stayed with them for a summer internship and spent a LOT of time with that dog.

He had a LOT of energy --- does yours run you down? i.e. do you have to spend an excessive amount of time to burning off his energy? Don't get me wrong, I will DEFINITELY play with my dog a LOT, just asking the pertinent questions.

I've owned a couple fantastic golden retrievers, but the soon-to-be-ex-wife took them with her, and wouldn't be right to split them. Great disc dogs and great energy, but I want a little something different this time.

Met a vizsla puppy yesterday, melted my heart, and may be right up my alley.

. . . Met a vizsla puppy yesterday, melted my heart, and may be right up my alley.

Vizlas are very cool dogs. If I get a purebred, that's my next dog. The only thing I have heard against Vizlas is that they are not big fans of the cold. And, like any other dog worthy of the name, they will drive you nuts for the first couple of years.

My sweet Callie going up for a standard Frisbee. She was awesome with my putting practice, we went into the woods every day and she would fetch my Wizards so softly she never left any teeth marks. She knew which were here Frisbees and which were my discs, and which ones she could chew and not :)

Start at 15:17 for a few minutes of Grits highlights, Wes's awesome chocolate, championship blood but he's let her get all fat and happy. She has the time of her life every time at Stoney Hill(and who doesn't?).

And finally my brother's golden lab pups covering their first year. Awesome brother and sister combo, named Clarence and Alabama(his wife named them after the main characters from True Romance). Quite a few other pups make cameos. You can also see them "ring the bell" to go outside, something all of our dogs have learned very quickly.

Obviously you love your heeler; I'm looking into dog breeds for a late spring addition to my lonely new place. One of my high school friends had a blue heeler, I LOVED that dog, stayed with them for a summer internship and spent a LOT of time with that dog.

He had a LOT of energy --- does yours run you down? i.e. do you have to spend an excessive amount of time to burning off his energy? Don't get me wrong, I will DEFINITELY play with my dog a LOT, just asking the pertinent questions.

I've owned a couple fantastic golden retrievers, but the soon-to-be-ex-wife took them with her, and wouldn't be right to split them. Great disc dogs and great energy, but I want a little something different this time.

Met a vizsla puppy yesterday, melted my heart, and may be right up my alley.

juw9oU0.gif

as a puppy my ACD/Blue Heeler was a bit of a hell raiser until his first year. biting our heels/calves/barking at us and herding people/other dogs while biting heels and shriek barking. I was overwhelmed with how much energy this dog had. we did do all sorts of puppy socialization classes (because my wife and I lived in brooklyn at the time) he was always near other dogs and parks/streets were cramped.

everything he did from crossing the street, to going down stairs, giving him a treat/toy/food we made him earn it by sitting, down, or hand targeting.

we moved to CT last year and now 5min away from a 30acre dog park and it was a lot easier to exercise him. the way I work them [my two dogs] is by either playing fetch with a chuck it (i used to play baseball so I was so snobbish about using a chuckit, but now i admit its a godsend).

The disc catching happened organically because my dog would just stare mesmerized at other dogs (usually boarder collies) catching discs so I tried it out and it happened pretty quick. By happenstance I was also starting out playing disc golf so it works out perfectly - i can practice hyzer flipping, flicking, turnovers, ect with the surprisingly overstable 80g aerobie dogobie discs with both my dogs.

I do work them at least 45min to well over an hour pretty much 6 days a week with the disc or ball. Its a pain with the schedule -I'll get up at 4:30-5am to get in a good quality hour of hard exercise with both dogs- if my wife can't get them to the park in the afternoon.

The funny part is that they both treat it like a job all business in getting their ball/disc workout in quick for the first 30min then they'll take a quick break to run around and chase birds/other dogs/wrestle or swim in the gross marina overflow lake. Then back to catching for another 20-30min until they know its time to get home.

A shot of my puppy's mom, my parents' golden retriever. She is technically my dog too, but I was forced to leave her behind when I moved out. This one is a phenomenal underwater swimmer and if you throw a rock into a body of water, she will retrieve the exact rock. Uncanny.
9765_680827262024380_2047687328447948464_n.jpg

Vizlas are very cool dogs. If I get a purebred, that's my next dog. The only thing I have heard against Vizlas is that they are not big fans of the cold. And, like any other dog worthy of the name, they will drive you nuts for the first couple of years.

This is pretty accurate. They're Hungarian by origin so they can handle the cold (with a coat) to a point, but that shouldn't be an issue in Bama.

They're goofy and playful but super loyal, quiet, and sickeningly sweet! They are generally pretty healthy to boot. My sister has/had two females and a mixed male, and they've all been wonderful dogs. Fast too...

I'm definitely not a breed expert, but my understanding of blue heelers is that they need lots of exercise, much like border collies do. If you don't help them spend their energy constructively, they'll come up with their own ways to spend it, and you probably don't want that. Psychologically, breeds like these are workaholics.

I'm definitely not a breed expert, but my understanding of blue heelers is that they need lots of exercise, much like border collies do. If you don't help them spend their energy constructively, they'll come up with their own ways to spend it, and you probably don't want that. Psychologically, breeds like these are workaholics.

^^^Yep. Our dog-walking group used to see a guy with a blue heeler. The heeler ignored all the other dogs and focused on his job, which was retrieving a plastic trash can lid thrown like a Frisbee. The owner started out throwing tennis balls, but eventually blew out his shoulder and switched to dog discs. The heeler would destroy a dog disc in a week, so the owner switched to plastic trash can lids. Apparently the plastic trash can lids lasted a month or so before the heeler chewed them down to nothing.

Blue heelers are driven, hardworking dogs. Definitely not for casual dog owners, but it is impressive to watch one work at its chosen "job". I have also heard of blue heelers that "herd" their family through its morning routine.

My wife has a pug. Pugs are sweet, but I'm about ready to get a real dog again.

Pugs are one of nature's most cruel designs, poor things snore while they are awake.
Hard to believe that a pug is a hyper-inbred derivative of the noble mastiff...

Pugs are one of nature's most cruel designs, poor things snore while they are awake.
Hard to believe that a pug is a hyper-inbred derivative of the noble mastiff...

Pugs "purr" when they are awake.:rolleyes: When asleep, they definitely snore.:doh:

Not a dog to accompany a long day of discing, for sure.

Heeler love! Runningdoc, that vid of your dog is awesome! Great catch! Now I must rep my cattle dog :thmbup:

IMG_0208_1.jpg

Here's my pup. Her name is Vida. She is technically my brother's dog, but she is our discing dog and she is awesome!

I wanted to say something about the blue heeler talk here, because it sounds like they are being vilified a bit. Yes, my doggy does have a lot of energy and will play with you all day, but she isn't hyper or overactive. She's been pretty good about being in for the winter, but we still do play with her a bit.

I will echo what Runningdoc said because when Vida was a puppy she was a little hellion. She always seemed to annoy me of all people, jumping on me and nipping and scratching... Although she became house trained very quickly she was a little running riot as a pup.

She has gotten much better with her behavior even though she occasionally nips when she gets really excited. I could not imagine life without our blue heeler because she is a sweetie and just wants to be your buddy! Pup will follow you everywhere and she loves to cuddle up next to you.

On top of that, she is an amazing discing dog! She loves to chase discs and catch them, she will also sniff out lost discs in the rough and retrieve them. Everyone on the course loves our dog when they see her. She usually is carrying a disc in her mouth :D

Latest posts