• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

power players touch disc

discpunk26

Bogey Member
Being a power player is great on long wide open courses, but my greatest downfall is on deuce or die courses. Can I get some recommendations of touch discs that other power players use and some good practice ideas? I'm not just looking for short courses, but for shots up to 350' beyond that is easy for me.

Try the comet or an aero. The comet is well respected for a reason but the aero is an underrated upshot disc in my opinion that is very controllable with great glide.

Coyote is touchy enough for that power and Sole is better than the Aero by not so much as the Coyote is over the Comet. Yep i've gone off the deep end and prefer the Comet only for tight quickly beginning turns and the Coyote for everything else. Leopard ain't gonna fly too far for reduced distance control like the River that is otherwise great. I like what i hear from the FD but have yet to buy one (i will soon).

If you've got a big arm shouldn't you throw putters or mids in this range? A Roc and a KC Aviar/Wizard/Challenger should definitely suit you for everything under 350' if you can sling.

x3. I use Wizards up to 330' and Rocs up to 350' on the course, no need for anything else. Use to carry a Fuse or Meteor as well but the Roc's consistency and reliability really outshines them at higher power levels.

I guess I could be considered a power player since I can get 450 and for 350 and under I throw

Beat Ass DX Big bead, beat ass CE Aviar, beat ass dx Rocs, FDs, and beat ass TD

My beadless star Gator doesn't glide very well, but with your arm, distance doesn't seem an issue. The lack of glide and over stability make the Gator a very reliable hyzer approach mid so the only touch you have to worry about is range. The JOKERi also has great HSS that you can really point and shoot, get the Prodiscus premium plastic. I currently putt and approach with an Ion. The Ion has lots of stability which gives me confidence that it won't flip on putter drives and long straight upshots. However, the Ion glides really well so you must learn some touch on the range.

If you can't get the anny angle or clean release to turnover a Comet on the line you want through the woods. Save up and get a CE QMS for smooth backhand turnovers. CE QMS has just the right amount of LSS to turn and not burn out like a flippy Roc or Buzzz and CE will last forever, Boom!

As someone who gets his drivers out to 375 on a good day and buzzzs put to about 300 how in the world do you guys get putters out that far....I love throwing putters off the box but man 350 that sounds almost too far for those blunt noses to reach.

Form has to be perfect and there must be a lot of power behind a putter drive that goes to 450' and it has been done. Aeros and Aviars in the old days and a little over 420' with a Pure are some numbers i've heard. And what Whiz wrote.

Premium Jokeri ain't a touch disc it is a very reliable disc. A base plastic Jokeri will beat into turning and then a high power player may make it fly like a touch disc does for a medium power thrower. So it depends on what the OP means by touch but Jokeri ain't what you traditionally call a touch disc. Like a Rhyno isn't and the Jokeri is like a fast 50' longer Rhyno when new and beats into straight in base plastic i hear. Mine isn't that beat yet but it turns already and has lost half of the fade. The turn is minimal. 420'ish tops with speed 13 discs.

Whiz said:
Throw them fast with lots of height.

This, you would be surprised how far you can get a wizard/aviar/challenger/magnet/whatever if you put it up 15'+.

also Dart, sonic, rattler, pure

stronger discs: rhyno, zone, jokeri

Frank Delicious said:
Whiz said:

This, you would be surprised how far you can get a wizard/aviar/challenger/magnet/whatever if you put it up 15'+.

Alright if the Zone is a touch disc what is beefy? A lump of heavy metal? There are only a few drivers that are beefier than the Zone and i don't think mids best the Zone in HSS. I was told that the Zone is designated putter although it is fast and shaped like a mid. Rhyno ain't that much about the touch either.

Here's a local up and coming Pro... Barely old enough to drive. I'm pretty sure he throws Rocs 400'+ so 350' putters are apparently possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGVISh-S8l8

JR said:
Frank Delicious said:
Whiz said:

Alright if the Zone is a touch disc what is beefy? A lump of heavy metal? There are only a few drivers that are beefier than the Zone and i don't think mids best the Zone in HSS. I was told that the Zone is designated putter although it is fast and shaped like a mid. Rhyno ain't that much about the touch either.

the zone, rhyno and jokeri are all good at lower powers for strong finishes and forehand upshots for those who have less than clean form.

I have no problem getting my mids out 450' if I don't have a ceiling, so apparently I need to clear things up a bit, Let say you are a power player looking at a basket between 330- 380' and you have enough clearance to get maybe 6' off the ground to cover this distance and you don't throw rollers, what do you throw?

Frank Delicious said:
Whiz said:

This, you would be surprised how far you can get a wizard/aviar/challenger/magnet/whatever if you put it up 15'+...

If your course is wide open, then yes, putter approaches are great for 300'+. But if you have low ceilings/tight fairways everywhere, then no, get a versatile mid-range instead that will carry further when thrown low.

discpunk26 said:
I have no problem getting my mids out 450' if I don't have a ceiling, so apparently I need to clear things up a bit, Let say you are a power player looking at a basket between 330- 380' and you have enough clearance to get maybe 6' off the ground to cover this distance and you don't throw rollers, what do you throw?
330- Leopard
380- beat ass X Predator

discpunk26 said:

TBs, EXs, FBs, Preds. These discs have extra HSS to be thrown really low and hard and hold a line. Range can be controlled by keeping them low.