• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Predict the next innovation!

Somebody should develop a coating or surface texture that can be applied to the chains to make them "stickier" when the disc hits them. I'm imagining either a thin veneer of something grippy but not adhesive, or a milled surface like you see on the face of golf wedges. This could reduce spit-outs.

Why not paint the chains with spray on rubber...think Rhino Lining...it would definitely be stickier.

I was bored and like this idea, so I drew it up. Imagine the groove being just large enough to pop in some small steel bearings (BB's). You could adjust the flight by popping them in and out. With the way the inner groove is designed, it would most likely keep in place even after the landing.

I predict that the bearings will stay in one place along the rim in a high speed throw, causing the disc to OAT. This should make it have a little high speed stability. And when it comes down to slower rotations at the end of the flight, the bearings should start to roll around. Just a guess though.

Bearing_Disc.jpg

One Hyzer Bomb and this thing is history...

Ok...You've all seen the video fly overs with voice over on the Tiger Woods games, etc. (This would be hard to protect, but would be cool.)

Have a video hole information station (Fly over, distance, etc) at each hole of the TAKEN OVER GOLF COURSE mentioned earlier. That would ADD to the experience GREATLY...it would be cool to hear the suggested lines and the warnings about hazards, etc.

A throw analyzer / video game similar to the indoor golf simulators. Work on form at a "driving range" or select the course you want to play. Certainly could be a limits on how much could be factored in (such as disc beat-in) but it would be fun to "play" the worlds best courses without the travel expense.

I would like an collapsible umbrella that expands to the size of my big Huk Labs Umbrella. I hate having a full sized umbrella strapped to my bag

I would like all tees to be designed with the wind at my back and downhill. ALL THE TIME. That's not too much to ask is it?

Ok...You've all seen the video fly overs with voice over on the Tiger Woods games, etc. (This would be hard to protect, but would be cool.)

Have a video hole information station (Fly over, distance, etc) at each hole of the TAKEN OVER GOLF COURSE mentioned earlier. That would ADD to the experience GREATLY...it would be cool to hear the suggested lines and the warnings about hazards, etc.

Nifty! Yeah it would be hard to protect but I suppose if you can afford to have 18 of these babies you could hire armed thugs to guard them. A simpler idea would be to make this a smartphone app and have people download the flyby and other info for each course. Then you could check out a course before you play it and see what you think.

Different sized targets. Imagine a 2x scale basket or a 1/2 scale basket. Even a 3/4 scale or a 6/5 scale or just subtle variations on the regular size. I would like this very much, and it would give a course designer even better control over score variation, fun and risk/reward. It wouldn't be PDGA approved, but they would eventually come around ;)

Different sized targets. Imagine a 2x scale basket or a 1/2 scale basket. Even a 3/4 scale or a 6/5 scale or just subtle variations on the regular size. I would like this very much, and it would give a course designer even better control over score variation, fun and risk/reward. It wouldn't be PDGA approved, but they would eventually come around ;)

As long as they specified the basket size on each hole it might work. Dunno, seems like it would wreak havoc on the putting of higher level players who have that stuff down to a science...

I'm thinking the next thing will be basket improvement, I've seen a few videos of some European companies designs (I think they were PDGA approved also) that improved on the way the chains shifted in their hangers when catching a disc.

The though behind it was to minimize and possible eliminate chainouts when hitting the sweetspot. Obviously we all know that hitting the left side as a right handed player will most likely result in a chain out but we have all had the puts that hit the sweet spot only to do something weird, turn vertical and spit through, vertical and bounce back off the post, etc... Though it would take ages for new baskets to become commonplace, it would be nice to see a bit of the randomness taken out.

I've been working in the lab on a new bag/stool combo. I'm up to $60 in supplies(bag, stool, fasteners) and i'm getting pretty close.

I don't know if it would be legal, but I think a putt and approach disc with a two sided wing (flight plate in the middle) would be great for very windy days.

I think "the wheel" is the disc you're describing. Was legal, but no more.
I bet if you put out a "wanted" in the Marketplace you'd get a bunch of offers.

Didn't DGA used to do that back in the day? I know I've seen stingrays and aviars with a "DGA factor #" stamp on them before. I've seen up to factor 4 but maybe heard they went as high as 6? Someone with more experience could probably shed some light on the situation.

Side note, I graduated from Waukee in 2006.

How about a "reverse innovation"? Just as the PGA has not approved for play golf balls that travel too far, the PDGA will restrict even further the discs allowed for play to keep the sport from outgrowing its courses. This restriction could be for certain higher divisions, and would keep, say, a 400 foot open hole more challenging that it would be in about 10 years when anyone with a 900 rating or higher can throw that far.

This and smaller baskets. A 30 foot putt should not be a gimmie.

How about different sized/expandable disc golf pond nets to stretch over smallish ponds so that before a tourney you can install it, leave it in the whole tourney to catch anything that goes into the pond, and then pull it out with all the discs in it at tourneys end, that way no one has to jump in an get all nasty, and it would save a lot of parks/rec depts. from getting angry with players for jumping in the ponds, and save you from losing your favorite driver/mid/putter.