• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Prefer Putting with Midrange - Problem?

itsRudy

Par Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
Maybe this is a dumb question and all mental, but it's nagged me for over 3 years. I simply prefer putting with my midrange Mako or Sharks than any putters I ever got, including Aviar/3 (Dx Champion or Star), Magnet (cheap plastic), or Harp.

I use putters for putting 90% of the time and Mebbe I oughtta try a different putter but everytime with my Mako I just feel more at ease and it seems to glide better and into the basket. I guess I just don't like how "deep" putters feels when I handle it compared to mids.

I have no problem chucking a putter for approach and do, and the weights for the discs are basically the same within 4 grams. But am I limiting myself? It's the weakest part of my game and I'm just working on it now.

I had this problem too, switched to a faster putter and never looked back (Envy). The only advantage that a putter has is that it will usually not go very far if you miss the basket. Putting with a buzzz made for some long comeback putts at times when I missed.

Use whatever gives you the best chance of making the putt.

If you make a higher percentage with your mids you'd almost be silly to switch.

I also say, stick with what works! I putt with a pig within 25 feet, outside of that, I tend to have a late release. I think it has to do with with the thick rim, which I like the feel.
From 25 feet to about 40 a Roc3, its my heaviest disc at 180g, and I like the feel.
Outside of 40 ft a Star Mamba, I can spin them straight, and their easy to throw from that distance, they both weigh around 170g. Sometimes I'll use them closer in.
Moderate to Strong winds I have a Valkarie Pro 170g that bores into the wind, just like it does off of the tee. With that type of wind, I'll use them as close as 5 feet and out.
That's what works for me at this time, and that's what has worked for about the past 6 months. But, it can also change.

Putting is hard. I hated (still do) the feel of them in my hand. I could probably putt better with something like a buzzz to be honest. The problem is when you miss, you miss loooong.

You just gotta find something that feels comfortable for you. And then just stick with it and when it fails you...stick with it.

I've switched putters so many times. The thing is, it's not the disc, it's you. But if a Mako/Shark is working, why change. Just have fun out there.

I putted a fresh DX Roc against my putter for a few weeks trying to beat it in. I can get it to the basket as well as a putter, but I didn't get a lot of those questionable makes that I'm used to having fall in for me. I'd guess at least 2 strokes per 18.

If you don't like the deep putters, you can try something like a Deputy or Fierce.

Maybe this is a dumb question and all mental, but it's nagged me for over 3 years. I simply prefer putting with my midrange Mako or Sharks than any putters I ever got, including Aviar/3 (Dx Champion or Star), Magnet (cheap plastic), or Harp.

I use putters for putting 90% of the time and Mebbe I oughtta try a different putter but everytime with my Mako I just feel more at ease and it seems to glide better and into the basket. I guess I just don't like how "deep" putters feels when I handle it compared to mids.

I have no problem chucking a putter for approach and do, and the weights for the discs are basically the same within 4 grams. But am I limiting myself? It's the weakest part of my game and I'm just working on it now.

At first I putted with drivers, then stuck with my Buzzz for a while then finally went to putters. Like Davos mentioned above, putt attempts would go sailing past the basket and then I would have to try to make another long putt. Now I would say my putting is actually worse, but I rarely have more than a 10 ft follow-up.

I don't own many putters, so I use my 3 sharks to practice and I like them also...they just make for some longer come-backs. I have smaller hands so I like the shallower rimmed discs, and have mostly used a Colt as my main putter. Maybe check that one out? My daughter also happened to pick out a Ringer because it was pink, and I am thinking about getting a couple of those and switching, that one has an even shallower lip.

I don't own many putters, so I use my 3 sharks to practice and I like them also...they just make for some longer come-backs. I have smaller hands so I like the shallower rimmed discs, and have mostly used a Colt as my main putter. Maybe check that one out? My daughter also happened to pick out a Ringer because it was pink, and I am thinking about getting a couple of those and switching, that one has an even shallower lip.

+1 for the Colt recommendation. Personally I can't putt them because they're too shallow, so that probably makes them perfect for the OP.

Thanks for all the advice, based on the recommendations just got a dx Colt, XT Nova, and vrocs (all discs I never had) to test and field practice for approach shots as gifted a lot of discs to the brush this season. The colt feels great for putts so far, no longer missing left with the tilt heaviness of the star aviars and the others are doing well for approach although I haven't concerned their characteristics yet. Gonna have to buy a few more identical ones.

"Inside the circle, a putter's a putter."

A quote from the late great Frank Delicious.

Seriously though, one thing that really helped my game a long time ago was to stop asking myself; "What if I threw my X instead of what's in my bag now."

Try a Dart, the least putter like putter on the market made for putting if you want a putting putter.

I have seen this, an uncle he uses DX Spiders for his putter. Then my bother until I got him for Birthday in 2017 the DX Stud, he used a beat in to fly straight DX flat top Gator from the early to mid 2000's. It is not uncommon to use a non putter disc for a putter as long as the mold is a putter like shape to the midrange, trying to use a Super Stingray like disc will result in cut through on the lesser chain models. This is an example why the standard ROC/3 are almost never used for a putting putter.

I putt with the Spike for the same reasons you described. Yeah,a shallow rimmed putter releases better for me and I make a lot more putts at the circles edge.

So the new discs are good and all that, sticking with the colt for now.

But I have modified my form, from the straight on push putt or hybrid with spin for longer distance as I understand it I was barely getting 20 foot putts at best before the power just absolutely died and horrible consistency. Now I'm doing a semi-approach stance, where the disc starts at my left hip and I go maybe 30 degrees from straight on (perpendicular to my shoulders). I absolutely killed it at putting yesterday short and long at a course and made back to back 36ft putts, which I don't think I even did before singularly as the discs would just drop like flies at that distance before. Picture below. It's not a full on stand-still backhand but

This kinda feels wrong as I was always told to push putt in a straight line to cut down the variables, but it's just working a lot better for me near and far.

Attachments

• Putting Style.png
    Putting Style.png
    12.3 KB · Views: 35
I just switched to putting with my throwing putters and it's working out well. AVIARX3, Dart, and Mirage.

I switched to putting with a Roc three years ago and will never go back. I think it's one of the last secrets of the sport that midranges are the superior putter. The extra 5 grams makes a difference.