• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Primary Throwing Style - Poll (Attempt #2)

Your Primary Throwing Method

• Backhand

Votes: 106 66.7%
  • Forehand

Votes: 14 8.8%
  • Both - Equal Confidence and Ability

Votes: 38 23.9%
  • Other - Overhand

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Other - Roller

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I had a moment at one time where I felt pretty good about my FH. Next time I went to use it though and it was terrible. Been meaning to work on it but I guess I just want to have a primary throwing style that is consistent before I try to get a consistent secondary.

I throw both equally but I currently get a little more distance out of FH. I think its important to throw both FH and BH to cover every hole

Almost always backhand, was never consistent with forehanding it, and there's never been a hole where I've thought, "Man, I really wish I had a better forehand".

If I throw a single forehand shot in a round I am amazed. I use both hands and throw backhand, throwing forehand is done out of need and utility.

What's up with most people starting with FH these days? When I started playing everyone started BH. Now every noob I see is throwing Forehand and doesn't have a BH to save their lives.

Seems backward to me. I think it has to do with less people having a Catch and Throw frisbee background as well.

I voted backhand, but I'm probably closer to being equal. I can throw about 400' on flat ground with my backhand, and about 370' forehand. And when it comes to driving on my home course, I throw 9 holes forehand, 8 holes backhand, and a roller on one.

Almost always backhand, was never consistent with forehanding it, and there's never been a hole where I've thought, "Man, I really wish I had a better forehand".

Do many people that you play with throw forehand?

I voted for both equally. During casual rounds, I rarely throw forehand, since my BH needs the practice. However, I find that when the pressure is on during a tournament round, I rely on my forehand much more and it's 50/50. The only reason I'm any good in tournaments is because I can throw both equally as effective. Otherwise, I'd suck at this game.

Oh wait, I do suck at this game.

Last edited:
I rely on my forehand, but my backhand is coming around. I use my backhand for most mid shots and my backhand distance is hit or miss.

i must say that i am shocked at the disproportionate number of people that tend toward BH. i was expecting a much higher number of well rounded ("both") players. :eek:

i can understand that many dont drive equally as well with the forehand, but i'm one to think that it's almost a necessity in the mid and short ranges - you can only do so much with turnovers whereas a controlled FH and (at the least) a "Flick" FH should be very natural for most. :confused:

i can say, once i incorporated the FH into my game in the mid and short game it dropped my score enough for it to be a significant addition. - Distance too, but it took a bit longer to get it reliable. :)

I try to throw backhand most of the time, but I mix it up a good bit. Lots of forehand and overhand throws as well.

off of the box i struggle forehand, dont know why, but as soon as my initial drive is thrown im money with them and am 50/50. i do love turning things over though so i cope with the lack of a flick off the tee...

It depends on what kind of throw you're talking about. I drive almost exclusively FH. But almost exclusively everything else is BH. I voted both.

off of the box i struggle forehand, dont know why, but as soon as my initial drive is thrown im money with them and am 50/50. i do love turning things over though so i cope with the lack of a flick off the tee...

re: turnover...
i know i am going to start a flame war... but i'm one to believe that finding the right disc for you and your FH drive is a lot easier and more efficient than fixing whatever is wrong with it. (in the beginning, for immediate effectiveness)

the simplest ("cheating") solution -
if you are turning it over, try more overstable or heavier....
i started with a boss or xcal, banshee, and firebird("cant turn over" - super overstable) then i slowly added a destroyer, a Katana, a teebird and rhyno/pig (as driving options).

* i could go into WHY you are turning it over, but it's a lot easier to "disc up" (FYI it's probably that you are putting too much power into the throw for the stability rating of the disc, find one that you cant.).

That's horrible advice for anyone that wants to develop good FH technique. I'd only recommend that approach to people who play once a week or less and do not care about being good at DG. If you do care about getting good (You are on the internet reading about it so I would assume it's the case) you will do more harm than good in doing that.

That's horrible advice for anyone that wants to develop good FH technique. I'd only recommend that approach to people who play once a week or less and do not care about being good at DG. If you do care about getting good (You are on the internet reading about it so I would assume it's the case) you will do more harm than good in doing that.

so says the guy with 2.3 years of playing experience.

didnt you read that i said it was a "cheat" and for immediate effectiveness? (do you post contrarian words because you are bored at work with nothing else to do?)
:wall:

you can flame my words, but my suggestions are about how to make fixes for a quick improvement. all you guys can sit on the "proper form" rhetoric as you want, but most guys just want to figure out how to get results...
I play almost every day, all the guys i know usually use the FH Disc-Up method. (then reverse the process to figure out how to be a better thrower, if necessary).

I cant tell you how many times i've heard - "I just throw with too much power, i need to get an new xcal, or heavier boss. I will always flip over a wraith or destroyer, and i throw max weight [over 400']" or "I need to find a disc that i cant flip over [no matter how hard i throw]. I think i need an x-cal."

Disc Up until you can get a consistent throw that is flat and controllable. THEN work on form and figure out how to streamline it. Your method is great if you have tons of time and a field (i agree it is the best overall method). Mine is just a patch to help people develop a usable and consistent throw. Your method can take months to develop "properly", mine can take 1 new disc and add a slightly reliable drive from day 1. - You cant use a shot you dont have. Most people wont refine a shot they dont use.

You both are kind of talking the same, if you ask me.

Someone on here reading trying to get better would be better off to try to learn to throw just any disc FH without discing up. It will require some effort but it will be well worth it as they are going to be less likely to plateau and once they work through the hard part, they will then improve quicker.

On the other hand. I play with some guys that just go out to have fun and they try to improve but they are not going to work on it so they are just going to want a disc to get by with, and thats fine; but those guys probably are not going to come to a disc golf website looking to do just that either.

so says the guy with 2.3 years of playing experience.

didnt you read that i said it was a "cheat" and for immediate effectiveness? (do you post contrarian words because you are bored at work with nothing else to do?)

Well, you're right that I'm at work, but I'm not opposing your view just for kicks. I'm doing it because you have a habit of posting misinformation on these forums and I'd at least like to have someone point that out, whether it's me or someone else. And chill out, I'm not flaming you.

Last edited:

Latest posts