• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pro Firebird (FL)

spinach d

Par Member
The Pro Firebird is the first disc to take strokes off my score in a while. It's very straight and can be manipulated (hyzer, anny, high, low) with a lot of precision. It has become my main driver.

It seems like I'm just about the only person I ever see throwing this mold. Why does it seem to be so unpopular?

I dont know for sure but...Id say the FL mold is less popular because people want the firebird for one reason, to be a stable pig. IMO there are other discs that can be a stable hyzerish disc like I imagine the FL is. Whereas there are few other discs (if any) that can be as dependable as the champ firebird when it comes to stable pig status.

my mom throws a pro fl. seriously. she does.

I'm just giving you a hard time. I used to LOVE the fl mold in CE. it was my main driver for years, untill I started throwing the spirit last year.

Its a very good mold IMO. I have yet to toss a star fl, but its been in the bacl of my head to try it.

deaddisc said:
I dont know for sure but...Id say the FL mold is less popular because people want the firebird for one reason, to be a stable pig. IMO there are other discs that can be a stable hyzerish disc like I imagine the FL is. Whereas there are few other discs (if any) that can be as dependable as the champ firebird when it comes to stable pig status.

I am not throwing it as a "stable pig". I use a Star Firebird for that. This disc flies very straight, and seems to ameliorate imperfect throws.

I use a champ firebird for all my overstable shots, but i've wanted something a little longer. I picked up a Star FL at a tourney, and went down on the weight a little to a 167. I LOVE IT. Just like a Firebird, but longer...exactly what I was looking for.
But I wouldn't be opposed to trying a Pro-Firebird for that use. Im sure it do what my FL does. If I would of thought about it at the time that I was looking for an FL in the selection for my tournament winnings, I probably would of picked up a Pro-Firebird as well. They're cheaper too, so twice the kudos

widewhale said:
deaddisc said:

I am not throwing it as a "stable pig". I use a Star Firebird for that. This disc flies very straight, and seems to ameliorate imperfect throws.

Thats what im saying. People use the firebird for the "stable pig" role, thus they use the champ firebird mold not the FL. Whereas the FL will undoubtably be a straighter flying disc that has dependable hard fade at the end. I wouldnt use the FL for that disc slot as I already have a disc (x-teerex) if I really need that flight path.

Are all pro firebirds considered FL's? Mine says FB on it...?

It was an impulse buy at walmart, but I like it a lot so far!

Roy said:
Are all pro firebirds considered FL's? Mine says FB on it...?

It was an impulse buy at walmart, but I like it a lot so far!

There are pro line firebirds (the older candy stuff, as well as the opaque stuff that I think is a CE/SE blend), but I'm pretty sure no Firebirds with the FX mold were run in the pro plastic that discs like the wraith were ran in.

Early in the summer I grabbed a star fl at a tournament hoping to have something to handle decent winds without the crazy overstability of my champ firebirds. It worked, at first, but as it broke in it started turning enough in the wind for me not to trust it. I carry a star t-bird and starfire and there's nothing I could do with the fl that those couldn't do as well or better.

Mine says FB. It's become very flippy and I no longer throw it. It turned into a pretty good roller but I'm using beat up Rocs and Valks for that shot so I gave the FL away.

Instead, I've begun throwing 170g dx Firebirds as my main driver. Broken in, they still have a lot of HSS but almost no fade.