• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Prodiscus Devon Owens driver

blackcatsmith

Double Eagle Member
Got a Devon Owens signature(?) driver in a players' pack this past weekend. I really like this disc. Because of the size of it's rim I'd put its' speed at around 11(no Spinal Tap reference intended). The plastic is fantastic and the disc inspires confidence because of this, it's comfortable size rim, and it's dependable over stability. The graphics aren't my cup o' tea, but I really like this disc. It doesn't hurt that I parked the playoff hole with it for the win during doubles Sunday. Does anyone else throw one of these?

Not a bad comparison. A faster more overstable TeeBird in better plastic. I'd liken it to a faster, beefy as hell- Saint Pro, but I've only thrown it for a couple of rounds so I'm still getting to know it.

Thank you. I would've never guessed the name, or been able to pronounce it correctly for that matter. The Wraith comparison makes sense, given my power(or lack thereof). Although I expect it will break in a little as the newness wears off.

Yeah the Slaidi is a great driver. It replaced my wraith/teerex slot. Also a great forehand driver. Prodiscus makes a lot of really great drivers honestly. The LASERi is one of the best fairway drivers never used. It holds a variety of fairway lines

Got a Devon Owens signature(?) driver in a players' pack this past weekend. I really like this disc. Because of the size of it's rim I'd put its' speed at around 11(no Spinal Tap reference intended). The plastic is fantastic and the disc inspires confidence because of this, it's comfortable size rim, and it's dependable over stability. The graphics aren't my cup o' tea, but I really like this disc. It doesn't hurt that I parked the playoff hole with it for the win during doubles Sunday. Does anyone else throw one of these?

I bought one of those slaidi from airborn . Cale told me they were heavy but I never weighed mine. Good dependable disc.

Yeah the Slaidi is a great driver. It replaced my wraith/teerex slot. Also a great forehand driver. Prodiscus makes a lot of really great drivers honestly. The LASERi is one of the best fairway drivers never used. It holds a variety of fairway lines

The sig stamped Slaidi I threw was a pro level disc capable of handling some decent headwind, nicely HSS with plenty of LSS. And if you don't already know... their premium plastic is the best blend of grip and durability on the market:thmbup:

... colors, not so much

Slaidi is an awesome disc! I'd compare it more to a Xcal/PD2 (when thrown goal post to goal post). handles headwinds very well and the FH is awesome! Almost all of my best and sickest FH shots came from the disc. the only reason its not currently bagged is my attempt to slow my self down, but I decided a month ago to put it back in when the snow clears.

my buddy loved the Legenda, he primarily throws Nukes and he said it was just like a brand new Z. I am not a fan of the wide rims that much but i did notice it cuts throw the wind really nice.

Jokeri is a great disc too. Like an already mid-light beaten Zone. I wish they would make a less OS putter cause I love their base plastic!

Also, on the premium plastic, one thing I did like alot is it remains grippy regardless of temperature. I've used them in everything from 0* to 95*.

Question for anyone whose actually seen/thrown multiples of these... I have 2 first run premium Slaidis. How consistent are the flights, domes, and plastic from batch to batch? I would be more inclined to make it permanent in the bag if I knew I could confidently order new ones if needed.

nicely HSS with plenty of LSS.

Huh? you mean it stays stable (literal meaning) nicely at high speed right?

Slaidi is an awesome disc! I'd compare it more to a Xcal/PD2 (when thrown goal post to goal post). handles headwinds very well and the FH is awesome! Almost all of my best and sickest FH shots came from the disc. the only reason its not currently bagged is my attempt to slow my self down, but I decided a month ago to put it back in when the snow clears.

my buddy loved the Legenda, he primarily throws Nukes and he said it was just like a brand new Z. I am not a fan of the wide rims that much but i did notice it cuts throw the wind really nice.

Jokeri is a great disc too. Like an already mid-light beaten Zone. I wish they would make a less OS putter cause I love their base plastic!

Also, on the premium plastic, one thing I did like alot is it remains grippy regardless of temperature. I've used them in everything from 0* to 95*.

Question for anyone whose actually seen/thrown multiples of these... I have 2 first run premium Slaidis. How consistent are the flights, domes, and plastic from batch to batch? I would be more inclined to make it permanent in the bag if I knew I could confidently order new ones if needed.

Huh? you mean it stays stable (literal meaning) nicely at high speed right?

He means it is resistant to turn with a healthy fade even at high speed, yes. HSS=high speed stable.

Welp, I am interested in this. How similar is the plastic to any of Prodigy's plastics? Does it definitely feel like a speed 11 (wraith-like)?

The rim feels and looks no larger than a Wraiths', but the configuration of the Prodiscus SLAIDi resembles the D3 or Destroyer more. As far as the plastic goes it's a toss-up… which is complimentary to both manufacturers, as Prodigy imo is at the top of the plastic quality mountain along with Lat. 64 and now Prodiscus.

yeah. at this point IMO prodigy's 400 and the newer opto/lucid are all very good along with prodiscus. i think it's kind of useless to try and put one of those above the other. it's grippy, it's durable, at least in the three discs i tried - the midari, the jokeri and the slaidi all were solid.

He means it is resistant to turn with a healthy fade even at high speed, yes. HSS=high speed stable.

That's right Koda. I'm not a huge arm but I can get warp speeders over 400' given enough room to work. Any distance lines with this disc would be a flex line as I couldn't snap it hard enough to turn. Star Xcal/teerex is close but the glide is a little better than the couple Xcals I've thrown.

As far as the plastic goes it's a toss-up… which is complimentary to both manufacturers, as Prodigy imo is at the top of the plastic quality mountain along with Lat. 64 and now Prodiscus.

I love the Prodigy 400's feel above all others but they are not as durable as Prodiscus premium. IMO, jolly launcher might be a touch more durable but the grip of Prodiscus is much better. Lat64 Opto is great for resisting cuts, nicks, and gouges like normal Champion and has many colors but it beats in rather quickly even when the plastic still looks fresh. Gimme a grip like Prodigy and a durability like JL or Prodiscus and I'm good for years;)

I bought a Laseri just for the hell of it and tried it out last weekend in 20 degree weather. The plastic feels great even in the cold its nice and grippy but stiff and the disc flys awesome like a teebird-tl. Great glide, the disc is nice and flat and they have an awesome variety of colors to choose from. If they make a disc in between the laeri and respecti, I would be hooked.

The Devon Owen SLAIDi I threw was a lovely shade of light tan dirt crossed with a hint of dry light brown dead leaves with a black stamp that must have read, "You can't find me because I'm a Ninja." I only field tested it a handful of throws both up and down the wind but had to search for it a couple times that took as long as my mini-session with it.

I just looked @ DN and they offer several color options for the production run. I wonder if all are muted shades like earlier runs or if they now offer brighter colored premiums:\

The owens sig. slaidi I had was a neon yellow. Didn't stop me from throwing it straight into the woods though. -_-

Can't speak for DN's colors though.

I just looked @ DN and they offer several color options for the production run. I wonder if all are muted shades like earlier runs or if they now offer brighter colored premiums:\

I know there are some Bright Green and Pink Slaidis that are a really nice vibrant color. The other colors are definitely darker and more earthy colored.

My main driver

I got a premium sig from Kai Vesa last summer and after I got my bag stolen it replaced the pro wraith as my main driver. I'd say it is very similar to a brand new pro wraith, but the plastic is smoother, gripier and more durable as I often tell everyone I play with. I have two identical and one of them took a hard dive into pavement but I can't tell which one. That's pretty awesome. I usually throw star destroyer for forehand drives but the SLAIDi work great for a straight controlled forehand drive or a substitute in slight tailwind.