• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Progression

Yxebrew

Birdie Member
Vitals:
Years playing/experience: 5-6 months
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right-handed
Throwing Style: RHBH,
Golf Distance Not totally clear on distances, The snow mud is just starting to leave here, so haven't got in much field work. putters: 200/240'; Mids: 240/270'; Drivers: 310/330

Optional:
Sex:M
Injuries/handicaps?: Old shoulder injury from playing outfield, doesnt seem to bother me too much in DG
Additional Information: Author's discretion
What do you like/dislike about your current bag?: For the most part I'm happy with my bag. I just wonder if I'm hampering my progression, all the reading I do says I should only have like 4 discs... I carry 12 molds, and use 8-9 regularly.

Specific areas of desired feedback: I mostly just want to continue to improve and not hurt my game/learning with the discs I've chosen.

Bag:

Drivers (weight/plastic/model/(condition)/use):
158 Blizz Destroyer (worn) Ive been using it for headwind drives, more and more I am using my teebird for this,
146 Blizz Beast (worn) this was my go to tailwind and max D driver, the saint seems to be pushing it out.
167 star Valkyrie(worn) I cant throw this as well as others yet, its mostly on deck for when my arm speed increases a bit. I do use it occationally to play the wind.
157 Opto Saint (lightly worn) tailwind, max D, turnover shots
150 DX Dragon (worn/beat?) strong tail winds or whenever I need more turnover than the Saint
170 GStar Teebird plus mold, (just getting this lightly broken in I think) This was very beefy for me initially, I'm just starting to work it in on headwind drives and also use it for skips and grenades.
167 S-Line FD (lightly worn) I can throw this as far as anything, mostly use it when there's a cross wind or if I need something laser straight... I do find the fade a bit unpredictable though, I need to play with this disc more.

Mids: I tend to use my putters for a lot of my up shots, just working the mids in more as I start to outrange holes with my drivers.
172 opto Core (lightly worn) stable/straight mid, ok for annys
175 Gstar roc3 (lightly worn) headwind upshots, more stable than the core

Putters:
171 Gstar aviar (worn) mostly just use it for practice, turning anny approaches also - the avair seems like the disc I should use, like maybe I'll do better on the longer puts with a glidier disc like this? I keep going back to the hydra though.
175 Hydra (well worn/beat?) My go to putter and approach disc, I love the thicker rim.
175 Gstar Rhyno (worn) headwind putter, also for longer floaty/flex approaches

I suppose a more concise question would be should I
A) just keep working different lines with the discs I have.
B) pick up one or two DX discs, like cheetah, gazelle, eagle? And start to break them in, focus in on line shaping and learning the disc(s)
C) Blow the whole thing up and start over with a 4 disc bag.

Thoughts?

I am definitely the wrong guy to give advice as you out throw me by 30-50' across the board. I carry 7 molds and 10 discs max.

That said, from your earlier post it seems that you have a specific purpose for most everything you're carrying. No reason to go down in molds unless you have a specific reason for doing so.

Is your game not improving? If so, for how long? Plateaus seem to be common and over thinking always hurts my score.

My game does continue to improve. Distance is slowly increasing, and at least becoming easier distance. So my consistency is also improving somewhat. I'm slowly getting a better feel and learning the wind and different lines.
And I try to work on my p n a game every chance I get, I do drain the odd one from 40-60', still a lot of work to do there though.

So I guess I just get impatient sometimes... and I want to be sure I'm not handicaping myself somehow.

My only thoughts pertain to a slightly mold minimalistic approach to the game. It may also help with decision making and confidence when on the course. If you have a limited amount of molds, and know them very well on multiple lines/conditions, you will have less thinking to do on the course. That way a specific disc for specific shot is no longer as much of an option when choosing a disc. I'm not saying take a bunch of molds out and have gaps in your bag, just suggesting you dial in the ones you feel best about. So, over all my philosophy would be a mix of options A, B, and C that you listed. A: keep working lines with the discs you have, but apply some of options B/C to that by narrowing down the discs you throw, and choose the ones you enjoy that show your mistakes and successes. That way, with less molds, you are beating them in and learning them as they change. Then you can cycle in fresh versions of said discs with more consistency across the bag. Also, by having less molds, you will truly learn the limitations of those molds, and have solid ground to add others in where needed. I used this same method, because I chose discs and assumed their limitations before I truly learned them. I'm not saying this is what you're doing, but it really helped me learn angles and speed. Cheers.

Thanks for the response Joe, very helpful!!
It's so tempting to add molds, lol, subtracting will be hard. But it makes a lot of sense from a consistency standpoint.
What do you think about base line/DX plastic? I've leaned towards the higher end stuff thinking it's better, but is there some value in beating in DX plastic?

Also, any suggestions for a good roller disc? I've been considering a stingray... but I don't really know much about it.

Also, any suggestions for a good roller disc? I've been considering a stingray... but I don't really know much about it.

I use a Champion Panther as a roller. Once rolled it over 350 feet on flat ground, and it only stopped because it ran into playground equipment.

Other good rollers are the Roadrunner and Sidewinder.

My advice would be to drop everything above speed 9. This would only remove the Destroyer and Beast (which in the OP you said were being used sparingly due to the Teebird and Saint taking over those roles). At the distances you listed the Destroyer won't fly like it's supposed to (I have an extra 50' of distance than what you list and don't have the arm for a Destroyer either so don't feel bad). Valkyries, Saints, and Teebirds can all fly really far for their speed rating, so you shouldn't be lacking distance. Midrange and putters look fine.

I find the light weight destroyer does fly pretty well for me in a stiff headwind. I have dropped the beast out completely, but so think I'll hold on to the destroyer for situational stuff. That and the Teebird are good for wind and also getting in more controlled houser shots, buts the Destroyer gives me a little more D when I need it. Also gets me used to using a wider rim.

Maybe I'll add a heavier saint as things progress.

Thanks for the feedback!!

How do you find that panther flies in the air? I wouldn't mind a mid that likes an any line. My putters are all pretty stable and The the only mid that comes close is the core, but I have to put a fair bit of stank on the core to hold an anny line.

How do you find that panther flies in the air? I wouldn't mind a mid that likes an any line. My putters are all pretty stable and The the only mid that comes close is the core, but I have to put a fair bit of stank on the core to hold an anny line.

To make a short story long: I have several Pink Panthers and a couple of blue Panthers. The pink ones are for the most part a bit flatter (less dome) than the blue ones, and are stable-to-slightly overstable in flight. The Pink Panther I've had in my bag for a couple of years now is juuuust starting to get understable with a near-full-power throw.

The blue Panthers have a bit more dome, and are stable-to-understable fresh out of the box, and will hold anny lines. For a while I was pairing the pink and blue Panthers, then went to the Mako3 for the understable mid.

Color may be a coincidence in the stability, though I've yet to meet a very domey pink Panther. In any case, domey-ness is what to look for.

(Side note: I have a GL Core, and mine apparently is not as (over)stable as yours. Mine held anny lines okay. I only bag it when I'm throwing an 'all-Lat64' bag, though...)

I found a lightly beat sidewinder on course with no name on it. It loves to roll!!
I think I'll just play with it for a while and see how things go.

I would cut everything out in your drivers slot but the teebird and fd to work on form and get those out to 350 then pick up the faster drivers. Less is sometimes more so that you can get to know your discs and bomb them farther. Also might want to get a stack of the putters you like and practice doing only putter rounds. It will help form.

I've dropped the destroyer and beast.

The saint, fd, and dragon do have some over lap. The dragon is almost a utility disc though, only for special situations.
I primarily use the fd for anything more than 250 or so. But I do like the saint for long hyser flips, I have a good feel for what it does in diffferent conditions.
The Tbird is very OS and really my wind fighter.

I'm considering a stable tbird or thunderbird as there is a big gap in stability between my OS tbird and the FD.

Putting is definitely the weakest part of my game, or at least where I think I could improve the most. I struggle in strong wind and outside 25' or so. I really don't know which putter to go with. Maybe it doesn't matter?

I'm not consistently at 350' but I have hit it a couple of times with the saint. I'd say 320' is a little more normal though, for both the saint and fd

Putting is definitely the weakest part of my game, or at least where I think I could improve the most. I struggle in strong wind and outside 25' or so. I really don't know which putter to go with. Maybe it doesn't matter?

It matters more than anything in that putters are a very personal choice. What works best for you might not work best for others, and vice versa. It took me a long time to settle on the Warden as my main putting putter, then realize that Classic plastic was my favorite and worked best for me for the Warden. I still use other putters from time to time when I get the "yips" with the Warden, then I go back to the Warden and things are better.

It partially depends on your putting style, as well. Some people are spin putters (see: Simon Lizotte), while some are push putters (see: Ricky Wysocki). The general consensus is that beaded putters work better for spin putting and non-beaded for push putting, but again that becomes an individual thing.

What you need is a putter that is comfortable in your hand (that really is a major thing), that gives you confidence in your throw, and works best with your style of putting. A lot of it is trial and error.

Finally, when it comes to strong winds beating my face, I go to a very stable putter. I used to putt with my Star Gator in strong winds, and still will if I remember to bring the Gator along so I can bag it. Right now I'll grab the Harp. I'll probably try the Aviar3 for putts into heavy winds. But the bottom line here is that if you have an overstable approach putter, try putting with it if the wind is beating your face and see if you get better results.

When the wind comes up I tend to lean on my g* ryno. Otherwise I seem to be using my p n a aviar for most putting duties. It's also pretty stable but has a lot more glide than the ryno. I haven't really tried a neutral or US putter, I wonder if it would serve better to work on those longer puts?
I tried just feeling up a few putters in the local shop the other day, but it's hard to know. Maybe I'll try that again and see if anything pops up.

I'm still sorting my style out I think? I like the idea of push putting and have good success 20' and in, but I struggle with wind and also longer puts. So I seem to have developed more of a hybrid that comes out as I get further from the pin.

The bag has changed considerably over the course of the spring/summer. I'm feeling pretty good about my core discs, although I may have a few extra molds in there that are either very situational or still finding their spot.
I thought I'd try writing it down again here to get some clarity my self.

Putters:
Early summer I discovered wizards, they've taken my bag by storm! I'm pretty comfortable throwing them up to 200' or so. Beyond that and I'm more apt to flip them or duff them, still working on this.

Wizards:
Sss 174 chalky and relatively firm, my main putter inside 40-50'.
Ssss 175, this one is floppy, less hss than all my other wizards but thrown high it comes back to centre. Also good for sketchy greens.
Sss 175 between the two above in flex, this is my main thrower and I'll also putt with it if I'm worried about a roll away.

175 g*ryno very stable and glide-less, wind and approach shots.

West side deputy, US throwing putter that comes in and out of the bag.

Mids:
172 opto core. Flippy, fast, long. I use it mostly for controlled s shots or slightly right finish. I can throw it past 300' on hyser flip but it's less accurate for me at Those ranges, so more like 250-300.

175 glow comet. Similar lines as the core but glidey instead of fast. Also sneaky long but very affected by wind. I seem to throw these two on similar shots depending on conditions.

17x tie die lucid verdict, this beat in very quickly for me, it's laser straight. I can get some decent turn out of it if I want and height will get plenty of fade. Workable, but no good in a head wind.

178 opto pink west side pine. Solid tbird like flight, firm hss, solid 2-3 fade, also pretty long, I'll throw it on holes up to 300' or so. Handles a moderate head wind well.

Fairways:
S-FD. Love this disc!! Picks up where the mids left off distance wise. Quite hss, moderate fade. I like it for straight or control shots up to 320' or so, also great for annys, if I get it nose down it'll hold a line really well.

3x tbirds, I need to take these out and see better where the overlap/use is. Not sure I need all three.
G* tbird 168. Has lost some of its hss, I can't rip it into a headwind flat anymore . I mostly use this one for headwind hyzer flip straight/control shots. I think this one would make a great US fairway if I threw it more, but it seems to be staying in the same level of wear for now.

Star plus mold tbird, 167. Was super OS, now just solid. Works great for headwind drives where you want some controlled turn, also some potential for anny flex lines but I need to practice that.

E* 170 Tbird, quite domey. This is my workhorse, great distance, 320-350', firm hss and dependable fade. I think it is starting to straighten out a little, not sure I'm happy about that.

Thunderbird, g* 170. For when I need more hss than my Teebirds. Basically headwinds and hyzers.

Firebird, star 175. Utility.

Drivers:

Valkyrie star, 167. I can get just a little more distance than my tbirds with this disc if I throw it flat or on a hyzer. I'm learning to flip/anny flex
It for more distance, but I don't really have any holes on my home course where this is a relevant shot.

On deck:

Roc3 g* and shimmer roc3. I like them both but the pine seems to have a more dependable fade.

Lucid escape, I like this disc but not sure it gets enough distance over the tbirds to justify less predictability.

Gateway Apache, I like the flight but not sure what I need it in the bag for yet, still testing.

Gateway Journey, some potential here as well but not sure I have the arm for it just yet.

Blizzard destroyer, great anny flex disc. Again, not a shot I need yet. I'll keep practicing.

I have two Mint Alphas in the mail. We'll see what they do to the tbirds and thunderbirds. They may simplify things.

Thinking about an OS mid like a gator. I really don't see the need unless the wind is screaming, but that does happen from time to time.

Also an OS thrower for windy days like a felon or sexy bird, we'll see if one of the alphas fit here. The river pro certainly did not!