• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

push putting distance with lightweight putters?

Jagg

I'm a very solid push putter from anywhere within the circle, however its sort of hit n miss when it comes to taking shots from 50ft plus. So i was wondering if a lighter putter like a 170g or less would be a good weight to push putt with more glide? I figured a lighter putter would take the push and travel strighter for longer but im not sure if this would cause the disc to hover and stall without dropping straight due to its lower weight. Anynody got experience push putting lighter putters?

From 45ft inward, no. But 50ft or more i use somewhat of a hop step similar to Nikko Locastros where its really juat a big weight shift forward pushing off with my right foot and landing on the left no more then a 2ft jump.

I've found that while you might get a little bit more glide from a lighter disc the switch from a heavy putter to a lighter one really messed me up. I putt with a 175 Anode. For a while I tried a 169 Anode for longer distance.

Stick with one weight. With pitch putter you get used to the weight and when it drops. That changes with different weights. I ended up just staying with the heavy one because it felt better.

I switched to spin putting outside 30 feet with great results.

I push putt from about 30' and in, combo spin/push putt out to about 50 and from there either jump putt or just throw an upshot depending on what the line calls for and landing circumstance since I am not expecting to make it very often.

It is quite hard to be a pure push putter outside the circle IMO

I've found that while you might get a little bit more glide from a lighter disc the switch from a heavy putter to a lighter one really messed me up.

Stick with one weight. With pitch putter you get used to the weight and when it drops. That changes with different weights. I ended up just staying with the heavy one because it felt better.
This. I tried the lighter putter thing very briefly a while back and knew pretty much instantly that it wasn't the way to go.

It is quite hard to be a pure push putter outside the circle IMO

And this for sure. I recently changed styles after about 7 years as a very traditional push putter (my putting idols were Climo, Feldberg, and to a lesser extent Avery). I can say from a lot of experience that nailing very many outside of 50 with a traditional push put is really hard.

But 50ft or more i use somewhat of a hop step similar to Nikko Locastros

You might want to reconsider this a bit. I have a ton of respect for Nikko's game, but he is probably not the guy I'd be modeling my long putts after. Most of Nikko's game is built on being lights out inside the circle, not nailing long putts. His jump put is a pretty low % shot from what I've observed.

Its really worth noting that NOBODY makes a high % of their 50+ footers. Sure guys occasionally catch fire and nail a few during a round. But a much better way to shoot lower scores is to focus on getting the disc closer and increasing your makes from inside that distance. That doesn't mean don't practice jump putts, it just means it should really be low on your priority list for practice time.

Its really worth noting that NOBODY makes a high % of their 50+ footers. Sure guys occasionally catch fire and nail a few during a round. But a much better way to shoot lower scores is to focus on getting the disc closer and increasing your makes from inside that distance. That doesn't mean don't practice jump putts, it just means it should really be low on your priority list for practice time.

Another thing worth noting, at least for me, is that I got much better at long putts when I got much better at 15-25' putts. By spending a lot of my time practicing those middle of the circle putts and having absolute confidence in making them, I got really confident in taking good runs from 50'.

I can remember being 50' out and sort of running the putt, but really just lobbing it and trying to give myself an easy tap in and if I made it, great. Once I wasn't scared of the comeback putt, I made much more legitimate runs at the long putts and started making them much more often. I'm still not making them a crazy percentage of the time, but I am giving myself a chance.

I have to be really really relaxed to push putt for 50ish. I pretend I'm a rubber band

I won't even begin to pretend to know my a$$ from my elbow on anything outside 30', but I have had quite a bit of luck with an understable putter for longer putts/throw ins.

Being able to throw a putter slower and straight takes quite a bit of the guess-work out of the shot, and understable putters make that happen.

Like the above post I use a understable putter but for all putts, with the longer ones I do more of a spin putt though. Very little spin keeps it in the air longer.

Using a beat version of your main putter is what I'd recommend. Or learn to spin putt

Putt a little more on a hyzer line for those 50fters. I push putt inside the circle and I find just a slight more hyzer line on those putts outside the circle lets me get a little more distance.