• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putter suggestions?

_.-Dut-._

Double Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
Just curious what people would suggest. I putt with a foot forward stance and a line-drive style putt. I use a wizard at the moment, but was wondering if people thought maybe a different putter would compliment my putting style more.

If you have the funds and determination, 10x Aviars.

If you want easy to get and doesn't cost an arm and a leg, Wizards.

IS thte warlock better off the teepad, then the Wizard? How is the warlock compared to a Classic Roc? They sound like they fly similiar.

I use the Wizard off of a tee and jump putts. For putting less than 30 ft, WARLOCK!

Some use either one for both. I just use both.

Some day I might just use one (probably the Wizard), but for now they have separate duties. I used a DX Aviar P&A for a while, and it worked very nice. I just think the Gateway putters are superior, particularly when off of a teepad.

Just my thoughts.......

I've never been ablt to be convinced to stop using BB Aviars. I first used KC Pro, but then discovered I liked it a bit softer and went with the JK Aviar-X. Same mold, softer, grippier plastic. Now, I'm throwing the First Run Pros, still soft and grippy, but not as soft. Here in Las Vegas, it gets too hot and the JK's get a little too soft. Luckily, I've been able to find a few, all for less than 15 bucks. I'm hoping to attain a dozen so I'll have enough to last almost forever, and have plenty to practice with.

As far as the 10x Aviar, it is pretty sweet. I've thrown them and enjoy them. But, I think it's a mistake to use unreplaceable plastic. 10x's are difficult to come up with, and come at premium. If you want to throw KC Pro's, just start with the 12x. You won't know the difference.

I vote Glow Aviars
On your Warlock vs. Wizard question: from what ive been told the Warlock is a more understable version of the Wizard. I personally dont like the way that the Gateway putters feel but i realize im in the minority here.
To be honest id suggest going to buy the putter in person when choosing a mold so you can try and get something that feels good in your hand. IMO this is one of the most important aspects of a putter because in my putting confidence is key and an uncomfortable putter is something that takes me off my game real quickly.

I would think that wizard, challenger, perhaps aviar would suit your style. Thing like the magnet, warlock might be a bit stable for your needs.

Unless you're on a budget, it's not too hard to come by a few putters and try them out for yourself. I'd stick with similar weights, so you don't judge one and it turns out to be the weight.

Lots of folks here like warlocks/wizards, but they're quite similar to aviars. I chose the warlock/wizard combo - i think the wizard is easier to pick up driving off the tee with. The warlock is essentially a new "beat in" wizard. if you can beat some wizards in, you pretty much have a warlock. Beat it a little more and it's a magic.

Throw whatever you feel best about - if you don't like it, you should be able to trade it away pretty easily or give it to somebody you meet who doesn't have a putter. I just keep all my putters because sometimes it's fun to change putters.

Dut said:
IS thte warlock better off the teepad, then the Wizard? How is the warlock compared to a Classic Roc? They sound like they fly similiar.

I need to decide superiority in D and accuracy in driving of Radius 169 putter plastic(Warlock proto in different plastic) vs Wizard difference myself. I've loaned my driver plastic Radius but may have to swap the putter plastic :-D

I threw my putter plastic Radius yesterday consistently to 280' with two run up steps and an x step. I have Wizards in different weights but wasn't carrying any yesterday. There was some wind and the Radius didn't seem to mind medium winds other than with height changes. For me Wizards fade more even when worn. Depending on power and speed. At low lines with a lot of power Wizards don't fade either. Wizards begin to fade at higher speeds and apex heights.

I used wrist roll under for hyzer flip to flat straight as a string throws. The weird thing is that with power grip using some power from the base of the thumb on the flight plate of the disc and the disc halfway up the seam of the hand towards the first joint of the thumb I only lost on average 17' to my 171 Rancho DX Roc's succesful throws. Higher lines for the Radius on average and if I put the Roc equally high it wouldn't fly any farther. Nose wasn't below the horizon but flat. I may have a clue to fixing that. I need to try to rectify this in the next practice. I used full power but this was at the end of a three hour session and I was tired and stiff. I had a lot of late releases with my Roc that didn't feel like grip locks. I didn't notice a feeling of the disc sticking to any part of my hand or fingers either. Don't know what's going on there.

Haven't even touched a Classic Roc.

plastic_fondler said:
Magnet inside about 50 and challenger outside 40 or when there is wind.
If you've got a 45 footer, which one do you throw?

its 3pm on the disc golf course...what putter do you want in your bag?

this message approved by the wizard.

I vote Glow Aviars
On your Warlock vs. Wizard question: from what ive been told the Warlock is a more understable version of the Wizard. I personally dont like the way that the Gateway putters feel but i realize im in the minority here.
To be honest id suggest going to buy the putter in person when choosing a mold so you can try and get something that feels good in your hand. IMO this is one of the most important aspects of a putter because in my putting confidence is key and an uncomfortable putter is something that takes me off my game real quickly.
ding ding ding. We have a winner. mmmmm Glow Aviars are so tasty

rKp said:
plastic_fondler said:
Magnet inside about 50 and challenger outside 40 or when there is wind.
If you've got a 45 footer, which one do you throw?

Depends on the line needed and conditions. If I don't need a big hookup hyzer line on a putt I'd rather stay with a magnet.