• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putters......and Questions about them

taylor714

Eagle Member
Currently I'm using a DX Rhyno putter, but I'm looking to branch out and try some new putters. One reason is that i'd like to find a putter with some glide that I can throw for narrow long shots.

I use the rhyno because I have a very fast, bullet to the chains type putting style, so when I miss, the heavy rhyno with little glide doesn't run 50 feet past. I was using some aviars and when I missed, I was waaaaaaaaaaaaay past the basket.

So with that background info, I now ask my question: What putters would be similar to the rhyno in terms of disc thickness (height) and flight characteristics (Glide, fade, turn, etc)?

Any help is much appreciated. thanks!

innova pig
discraft zone
latitude 64 sp or ap

very little glide to any of them. also look at discgolfcenter.com. They have some numbers (speed, glide, etc) next to their discs. This way you can compare using numbers.

If you're wanting to branch out, why are you looking for something that flies the same?

Also try an Aerobie Sharpshooter #3. Slow, Overstable and no glide

dgdave said:
If you're wanting to branch out, why are you looking for something that flies the same?

I love how my rhyno putts, so I'm looking for something similar just to try out to see if I like it more than the rhyno, but I also want to find some putters that glide more so I can use them for some finesse shots, shots I need a little more glide on, and approaches.

I would think a heavy and a light rhyno combination. If you're having success and like the disc, changing would seem to be counterproductive.

black udder said:
I would think a heavy and a light rhyno combination. If you're having success and like the disc, changing would seem to be counterproductive.

I am having success, but i've only thrown a handful of putters at best, and I want to branch out, try a few, and make sure there isn't one that fits my style better.

Same thoughts had me with a 178 Fusion Tank (virtual Rhyno) for years. Try finding one in the 167 range if just more glide is the goal.

Now some of your bullet style may be due to the very overstable disc's desire to turn left hard, so you are forcing it straight with power. If you also get a slightly less stable putter to try, you may find it needs less huk to go bullet straight, but does not hit so hard it blows thru or bounces out as much. (another shameless Wizard plug, get the $6 misstamp from MarshallStreet, and if it is bad for you, that's what the trade board is for)

dgdave said:

:lol: :lol: that is in the top 3 worst discs ever

A Goblin might be interesting to try. They start out fairly beefy and don't have excessive glide. I haven't broken one in so I don't know how they age.

I know a few guys who putt with a DX Gator with a lot of success. It has like no glide, and its faster so it penetrates the wind well for headwind putts. Has a great feel when gripped with a fan grip too. I dont use it but IMO its one of few midranges that does actually work pretty well as a putter.

I use a 173 Pro D Magnet for my approachs and it works wonders. Its hitting 65% from 40-100ft out from the basket.

I used to putt with rhynos. I also started looking for something with more glide, but still had a shallower rim while keeping enough stability to handle wind. that is when I found the putter I am currently using and don't ever plan on changing back...

I use the Wizard.

I am very happy with it. the rim is deeper, but not much, total height is 2.1cm vs the rhyno of 1.9cm. .2 cm is not that much different. It is still stable enough to handle all the power you can put into it, and it glides better.

try it, you just might like it.

Jesse B 707 said:
dgdave said:

:lol: :lol: that is in the top 3 worst discs ever

The two are Sharpshooter #1 and #2.

Latest posts