• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

putting for distance

Beetard

Double Eagle Member
I know the title sounds kind of backwards, but I can't be the only one with this problem. I can't pitch-putt (directly facing basket, in-line, kind of underhand, hand moving up in an arc rather than across body) much farther than about 10 yards. I'm trying to work on weight transfer; pushing off of my back foot and getting that power and momentum up through my body and into my disc. I haven't been at it that long, but I'd say that I put over 12 hours into increasing my putting range. I get more accuracy (I don't miss right or left) trying to pitch my disc like a weight than spin it like a disc. The stability of the disc doesn't mean much when it isn't spinning fast. I can putt as well witha driver as I can using a putter with my technique, I'm just not getting the distance I need. Is it just a matter of practice, or does this throw only work for short range? I see pros who appear to be pitch putting from 100+ feet.

Some tips that have helped me get more putting D. (im not a great putter by an means, but I often putt or jump putt when others are throwing)

I often reach down between my legs on really long putts.

You should be putting flat to nose down. Nose up will cause a stall and you will lose a lot of D.

If you dont get a clean release you will lose a lot of D.

Height = D

You really have to feel the weight of the disc in your hand and increase the tendon/muscle load as much as you can without losing your form.

My most common mistake on long putts is not getting a clean release...these are really ugly putts and bring dishonor to me and my family.

I jump putt from well outside 100' because even on a shanked jump putt I am still closer than a bad throw.

make sure you have a good grip on the disc. A loose disc can slip out and not get as far as you need. Load your fingers for the "spring" release and you can also cock your wrist a little more for added snap at the release.

For a longer putt, you'll want more spin on the disc as well to get some glide.

I'd recommend, like Aaron, a little lower reach down and longer follow through. With some practice, that should take you out to maybe 60'.

Your mileage may vary, but much past that and I imagine you'd be jump putting or standing and flicking from side stance vs a pitch putt. Past 60' the goal should be making sure the next one is in - some people can run at putts that distance and still be close - that's your end goal. For the time being, I'd treat those shots like Climo - if he's not 90% sure the disc is going in, he's putting it under the basket so the next one is.

If you can afford one, get a practice basket, and practice, practice practice!

If you can't afford one, try to use the practice basket at the local course, and practice at different distances. I have started doing this, and my putting has improved 80%.

Good luck and welcome aboard.

i struggle pitch putting much beyond 30' as well.

the less stable of putter, the farther you can putt with this style from, but the worse you will be in the wind.

i use a jump putt after 35' or so.

the key is to hit everything in side 30'.

I just throw it high, nose down and anny.
Let the disc fly a tight S for the extra D
I basically try to emulate what I've seen of Cale Leviska on this shot.

I like to simulate sitting down in a chair before springing forward and pitch-putting. It helps me feel the weight transfer better.

Also remember your wrist position - keep it down/level. It's really easy when putting outside the circle, the put become more like a regular throw because you are trying to muscle it and the release is to late. What you should feel is the weight of the disc popping out from your hand. The disc feels very heavy when you get it right. Also try to realease the disc lower or on line with your navel (is that the correct name for the hole in the middle of the stomach?). The motion is pretty fast, and becomes faster as the distance increase.

Ski jumping on tv - must see it.

Good luck!

You really have to feel the weight of the disc in your hand and increase the tendon/muscle load as much as you can without losing your form.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this or I would be doing it. Also, what is meant by wrist cocked? flexed or extended? Do you actually keep gripping the disc tightly and force it to pop out of your hand like on a drive? I release mine as I putt. Is this incorrect?

I've seen that vid before. doesn't really help me out that much though.
Paul's toss is purely a putt.
Ron's is a throw, a very very accurate one.
Mike's is a hybrid.
Mark Ellis is a huge nerd. youtube "discraft parody" there is a 2 min clip of a couple of kids making fun of his forehand clinic. It's hilariuos.

None of them really discuss release of the disc though. It looks like they are opening their hands as they putt, not making the disc rip out.

I don't know anyone who pitch puts with power much outside of 33'. I drop off around 28 feet. Blake recommended dropping down from 175gm kc's to 168 gm Kc's. "Relatively speaking past 25' every gram lighter is 1' extra distance of float in a pitch putt," Blake said. I have not had a chance to putter down but look forward to picking up some lighter plastic and seeing if it helps. Thanks again for the phone consultation Blake. Putter drives are getting better.

Not to defend Mark necessarily, but who's the bigger nerd...the guy being himself trying to help, or the dork in some chicks bedroom talking about throwing discs? :lol: Would have been funier if they had done it outside.

About 35ft is where my putting drops off from the stand still point then I go to the slight hop/jump putt up to about 45ft then after 45ft is a little larger jump, but in actuality after 35ft I may as well close my eyes when I putt.

when I know I'm outside 30ft I add spin to the disc. inside 30ft I don't need to add spin because my momentum can get it there but outside of 30ft even if it's 100ft I add spin and let the disc do the work of getting. since most disc like to fade left for me any way I add spin to keep the flight going before it fades.

If that make any sense who is reading.

Trust me hes a great guy though. I love playing round's with him.

Oh, I know. I'm a nerd too. I love Mark. On his Discraft profile he has tons of info and tips. He's quite an analytical player. He loves to have clinics and help beginners, such as myself. It is a funny vid though and that kid does a great impression of him.

You've seriuosly played rounds with that guy? How far can he forehand? Is he pretty amazing?