• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting is hard.

Vazz687

I dont really know if theres a technique to Putting....but I constantly throw towards the ground on my release its very frustrating to never even have a chance at the chains....I also have hizer while putting because i simply dont trust myself I always think it will go way past making my next shot even tougher and mentally frustrating. :doh:

Practice, practice, practice!!!!!! It takes time to comfortable!!!! Watch videos to help select form!!!! Once you get the feel you will have it nailed!!! Well, think you have it nailed!!!!

My advice is get a basket and 6 or 8 of the same putter you use during play. get out there in the yard, and annoy all your neighbors with that chain noise from dawn to dusk. if the only putting you do is during regular rounds, you'll never get it right. it just takes a ton of putting-only practice.

Definately just practice and do the same thing every time, even if it is a 10ft putt you know you can hit. This will help especially in tournaments when you nerves might be getting to you.

watch lots of videos from top pro players and emulate what their doing, ive gotten much better at putting this year from watching vids and reading advice from my DGCR friends.

Confidence builders. Start from 5 feet, sink about 30 of those, then move out to 10 and repeat up to about 20 feet or so until you can hit those all day long. Then gradually increase after that. Patience is required.

Confidence builders. Start from 5 feet, sink about 30 of those, then move out to 10 and repeat up to about 20 feet or so until you can hit those all day long. Then gradually increase after that. Patience is required.

exactly.

Putting is hard, but cheer up friend, there is beer.

Loft putt. Let it come in from height and it gets a chance to go in but if it misses, its on its way down.

Get yourself a cheapo practice basket (I recommend an In-Step one... they're only like $75) and keep trying different styles 'til ya find one ya hit most often. I've been playin' about 6 1/2 yrs. off & on & I still haven't "mastered" it.

Yeah, I used to just throw it at the basket because I knew it wasn't going to go in anyway. But then I started playing in a league and it became important. The first thing that changed my putting was buying a putter with a bead, like a Wizard (my favorite). Then I changed how I stood, I put one foot in front of the other(right handed, right foot goes in front), so I can push off the back foot for more distance. Then I aim starting from mid hip and let my arm follow the line I want to the basket. Then release pointing at where you want the disc to go.

Instead of envisioning the putter hitting the chains, imagine the putter in flight. Imagine it's angle speed and everything after it's left your hand, about 10 feet in front of you before it hits.

This helped me a bit.

There's only one way to get better at putting. Practice. There's not a magical technique that is going to suddenly make you a great putter. Practicing putting (if done correctly) builds confidence. One thing that will most certainly help is getting a practice pin. When you practice putting, throw from a distance that you can make a good majority of your shots. Don't just stand 50+ feet away and putt hoping that maybe a few of your shots go in. Once you feel you are making a good majority of your putts from a certain distance, then back up five feet. If you follow this then you will most certainly get better.

First, what is your putter of choice. There are different kinds of putters. For instance, there are straight as hell putters and there are overstable putters. The straight ones work great for everyday play but you will also need a wind putter (overstable) and learn how to throw it. Also, there are different types of putter plastics that can be so soft they droop just from gravity (but tend to get sucked in by the chains on even bad putts) and there are varying degrees of firmer plastics.
Find your zones... There is the "gimmee zone" that is the radius within which you make pretty much every putt attempt. There is the "no sweat zone" which is the radius within which you make more than half of your putts.... and the "hail mary zone" which is the radius within which you pray for divine intervention to make the putt.

You should get atleast two of the same putter (I'd say start with just the straight ones for now) and practice in your no sweat zone after a gimmee zone warm-up. If its going badly go back into the gimmee zone to build up confidence. Work your way back out and see if you can slowly increase the gimmee zone radius. Stay in the gimmee and no sweat zones for practice...there is no need to get frustrated and lose confidence so you want to just build consistency and expand those two zones out slowly but surely.

Otherwise, be an approach shooter during rounds. Just look to get near the basket so that the next shot is in one of the two zones where you will most likely sink the putt.

Last bit of advice, do the same stuff all the time. If you like to hold the disc out in front of you then bounce a little, set up, visualize and then throw...do that every time. Remember to always keep up that routine that works for you. Even do this in the gimmee zone... nothing worse then missing an easy putt b/c you thought it would just go in and you boff it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq_bh_GtjtQ

Follow the above link to watch the Mark Ellis putting program.

If you actually follow this program for a whole month like he asks you will start making putts.

I have been doing it recently and at the moment I am only practicing putts from 15 foot in. You would be surprised how much your scores will drop if you make all of your 15 foot and shorter putts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq_bh_GtjtQ

Follow the above link to watch the Mark Ellis putting program.

If you actually follow this program for a whole month like he asks you will start making putts.

I have been doing it recently and at the moment I am only practicing putts from 15 foot in. You would be surprised how much your scores will drop if you make all of your 15 foot and shorter putts.

So true.. so true.

WOW!

I started this video and thought I was gonna get bored. I was glued to the tube, barely took a chug of my beer.

Great vid, I'm gonna putt with my porta-basket everyday at lunch now. Sweet!