• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting power from legs applied to disc is critical.

Rikdogski

After watching the Cam putting video I have discovered a major flaw in how I was putting.

My putting style was the rock back on heels and forward on balls of feet. Doing this I was jerky sometimes from not timing the put correctly with this motion.

Cam said to go down on two legs and come up on one. This really clicks with my brain and body a lot easier than the rocking technique. It reminds me of shooting a basketball. When you shoot you always use your leg power into the shot. Whether you come off the ground or not your legs are involved for good reason. That leg power being linked to the basketball is crucial. If your timing is off you will never be consistent.

The same applies for me with my putting. I need that down up and slightly forward motion to easily apply leg power to the disc.

Here's some observations I have experienced for the better of my putting game.

Power is easier to generate
Easier power leads to smoother mechanics
Linking the power generated from legs to the disc is a lot easier

Rikdogski said:
After watching the Cam putting video I have discovered a major flaw in how I was putting.

My putting style was the rock back on heels and forward on balls of feet. Doing this I was jerky sometimes from not timing the put correctly with this motion.

Cam said to go down on two legs and come up on one. This really clicks with my brain and body a lot easier than the rocking technique. It reminds me of shooting a basketball. When you shoot you always use your leg power into the shot. Whether you come off the ground or not your legs are involved for good reason. That leg power being linked to the basketball is crucial. If your timing is off you will never be consistent.

The same applies for me with my putting. I need that down up and slightly forward motion to easily apply leg power to the disc.

Here's some observations I have experienced for the better of my putting game.

Power is easier to generate
Easier power leads to smoother mechanics
Linking the power generated from legs to the disc is a lot easier

I watched the video as well...I could have basically written the same thing as you! I have been doing some practicing in the back yard and I'm already seeing my miss range shrink. more later.....

Another observation I have about this putting style is that I never feel off balance toward the target.
With my old "ROCKING" style sometimes my balance would shift forward dragging me toward the target. That was not a good thing when I was inside the circle.

Now the motion is upward and slightly forward while lifting my rear leg. I never put two and two together how great putters generate power while looking smooth as glass. Now I have figured out the magical secret. Making sure that the energy and power generated from my legs makes it to the disc.

How could have missed this? Oh well it's here now and showing a lot of promise.

Cam Todd is a great putter and any advice he has is worth hearing.

But mimicking his style probably won't make you Cam Todd. Cam has a world class wrist that most of us do not have and will never develop.

You know how a strong thrower can take a driver, release it on a hyzer and have it flip up and fly straight? Cam can do that on a putt. I don't mean turn sideways and throw it hard, I mean he can do that with a standard putting stance just snapping it. It looks effortless in his hands. I have no more chance of doing that than dunking a basketball. If my legs were twice as strong as they are I couldn't snap putt like that, no matter how I pushed off.

Great athletes can do things mere mortals cannot. Everyone has to develop a style which works within their physical abilities (or disabilities). Understanding what the great players do helps us to work toward their abilities but it doesn't mean it is a universal answer.

Cam can get away with his short arm (dinosaur arm) form because his wrist allows it.

I don't expect to become Cam Todd, but I would like to make a few more putts . . .

Cam Todd's technique seems to yield a lot more power compared with my current putting style, a modification of Feldberg's technique. One thing that I like about the Cam Todd-style putts is that most misses have been on line, but high. If I can learn to control the release angle and height, I may switch to this style.

I also like that Cam's technique can be easily adapted to a jump putt. Previously, I had been jump putting from a straddle stance, but using the same stance and release for putting inside and outside the circle should improve consistency.

I have not yet busted out this style during a scored round, so we will see if it survives that test.

What? I am not going to be Cam Todd by watching his putting video and incorporating my legs into my putts? This is bullogna! :x
I'm just messin.

You know Mark I think that the most valuable piece of info I recieved from that video was generating power with your legs and through timing apply it to the disc.

I never made the connection (in MY brain) how great putters made their shots look so effortless while still making them. Before the new putting style I had the effortless part down but that was only from about 20 feet and in. Anything farther than that was just spray and pray. My power generation was 95% from my arm and wrist. The worst part about it was I was trying to generate more power by rocking back and forth which was not doing anything for me. I wasn't able to get that power to the disc because I am not smart.

Well I might be a little smart but anyway. Using legs to putt directly connects with my basketball background. The legs idea helped me put two and two together.

Oh and I think I might like beer as much as you!

You mentioned something about Coors Light being good for summertime because it is like water. Have you heard the joke?
Coors Light is like making love in a canoe. WHY? Because it's fuckin near water.

Rikdogski said:
Have you heard the joke?
American beer is like making love in a canoe. WHY? Because it's fuckin near water.
This form of the joke is the one used here. =)
Yeah, American microbreweries aren't very well known over here.

jubuttib said:
Rikdogski said:
Have you heard the joke?
American beer is like making love in a canoe. WHY? Because it's fuckin near water.
This form of the joke is the one used here. =)
Yeah, American microbreweries aren't very well known over here.
I miss California beer. I'm in Austria right now, and I must say that being close to Bavaria and Czech are not helping them to make better beer...

JHern said:
I miss California beer. I'm in Austria right now, and I must say that being close to Bavaria and Czech are not helping them to make better beer...
I hear ya.

Rikdogski said:
After watching the Cam putting video ...

And where, my I ask, is a link for this video?

Kind of hard to see what your talking about when you dont post a link.