• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Putting putters

jmcarriere

Bogey Member
I am more of a pitch putter then anything. I currently use the DD Deputy. My question is does glide really matter when inside the circle. I ha e tried Wizards but the just dropped to fast for me.

I'm more of a pitch putter and I found that more glide works best for me. I also use the DD Deputy. Inside the circle I think it just depends on how hard you putt. I too have tried wizards and they dropped too fast for me, then I switched to the judge which was great but I found that at times I wasn't putting enough umph into my putts so it would hyzer out on me. When the Deputy was released I tried it and loved it and haven't looked back. With the deputy I do caution that on a short putt that the disc does like to get up quickly, so be careful as you may bang off the top of the basket.

I'm more of a pitch putter and I found that more glide works best for me. I also use the DD Deputy. Inside the circle I think it just depends on how hard you putt. I too have tried wizards and they dropped too fast for me, then I switched to the judge which was great but I found that at times I wasn't putting enough umph into my putts so it would hyzer out on me. When the Deputy was released I tried it and loved it and haven't looked back. With the deputy I do caution that on a short putt that the disc does like to get up quickly, so be careful as you may bang off the top of the basket.

That is what actually brought this post on is lately I have been hitting the top of the basket I have been using the deputy for about 9 months now.

I love the Deputy, I just make sure to adjust when I'm close to the basket so I don't hit the top. Nothing stings more than missing short putts. Give the judge a try. In my experience it doesn't get up as much as the Deputy.

Go with whatever feels best in your hand, and stick with it.
Personally, I prefer a medium-low glide putter with high stability. I find it's consistent in any playing conditions. (I putt with K3 Rekos).
I had a battle for a long time with different putters, but eventually decided just to stick with a mold that felt and flew well enough. Over time, you'll build confidence and consistency in a putter you invest yourself into. Trying to find the next best putter won't help you... Just commit!

Pitch putting has always seemed to lend favor to overstable, low glide discs. More predictable in a wider variety of conditions. If you're a pitch putter you don't really want to be lobbing a glidey putter out there in windy conditions.

If you're hitting the front cage the answer is to train yourself to aim and putt higher.

Last edited:
Yep, stop releasing low.

Are we talking about hitting the top of the cage or the top of the basket? I'm confused. :\

I've always called the whole "target" a basket.

So aim lower? I'd suggest aiming lower. There's one member on here who might just tell you to aim for the chains. ;)

The best pitch putters I've tried, are either the Dagger or the Guard, but they tend to be a bit deeper than a deputy.

Alternatively you could give the Discraft Putt'r a try, but that disc is stupid deep and never really clicked for me, and I have the big hands to fill it out and all.

If I read/hear cage, I'm thinking about the bottom of the basket. Especially if someone comments that a putter 'drops too fast'

Same here. But if a deputy tends to get up too quickly I think the top of the basket. Which I thought his original point was.

Same here. But if a deputy tends to get up too quickly I think the top of the basket. Which I thought his original point was.

With the Deputy I recently started hitting the top of the basket, I aim for the middle of the chains. When I was using the wizard it would drop to fast and I would hit cage. I would rather hit the top of the basket at least then I know I gave it a chance.

With the Deputy I recently started hitting the top of the basket, I aim for the middle of the chains. When I was using the wizard it would drop to fast and I would hit cage. I would rather hit the top of the basket at least then I know I gave it a chance.

Same situation for me too just with different discs. I've putted Crowns for most of the past two years. My typical Crown miss is low and/or left. Now I've been tinkering with Judges for the past month, and my Judge misses are high and/or right. The extra glide absolutely makes a difference even inside C1.

If you want a Disc with Wizard like feel but better glide try the DGA Steady. Steady is a Discraft Bangor GT but without the GT to feel even closer to the Wizard. I know as the Bangor GT feels like a normal mold of Wizard, not the lower style that the stiffer molds can feel like. Just do not get Steady BL as that is the no bead Steady.

If you want a Disc with Wizard like feel but better glide try the DGA Steady. Steady is a Discraft Bangor GT but without the GT to feel even closer to the Wizard. I know as the Bangor GT feels like a normal mold of Wizard, not the lower style that the stiffer molds can feel like. Just do not get Steady BL as that is the no bead Steady.

Bangor is a town in $%&#ing Maine. Banger is the disc. :wall::wall::wall: