• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting without putters

Spike1

Eagle Member
I have tried most putters on the market, but end up using a Dx Classic Roc (ok, it is somewhat putter-like, but still not a typical putter). I also had a period of putting with Dx Gators. Just had my best round of putting ever using the Classic Roc.

Anyone else using other discs than typical putters for putting? …and in that case what do you putt with?

Wasp

I went thru a bad putting period, tried to work on mechanics and sifted thru Wiz/Ridge/Pure/Omega, then had a damn fine round using my Wasp for all putts. I had previously used it only for stormy days, but now I consider it a Sinus/Zone with a comfy bead on the bottom.

I might use a wasp or buzz for a long put thats uphill and/or windy. Otherwise I stick with the Wiz. I can make some impressive longer putts with a wasp but tend to blow waaaaaaay past the basked if I dont nail it.

Our local pro (Johnny Sias, '84 worlds champ i think) uses roc's to put backhand and forehand. If I could put like that with a roc I would'nt change just because it didnt have the word putter printed on it somewhere. Then again im pretty sure he would still kick my ass even if he was putting with an actual disc shaped rock. lol

Spike said:
I have tried most putters on the market, but end up using a Dx Classic Roc (ok, it is somewhat putter-like, but still not a typical putter). I also had a period of putting with Dx Gators. Just had my best round of putting ever using the Classic Roc.

Anyone else using other discs than typical putters for putting? …and in that case what do you putt with?

I think the discs you mentioned all work fine as putters. My first putter I actually had any success with was a Proline Spider. Like any good putter it dropped quickly if I missed and left me a manageable comeback. That's the key.

i've seen guys have success with putting a dart.

but i agree with a spider being ok and i've putted a shark before. i liked the spider better, smaller diameter and like discspeed said it just drops.

My friend used to putt with a Dart, now he uses a Mako. I still putt sometimes with a D Buzzz (the non X-feeling kind). I like the feel of the older D plastic and the Buzzz is nice and straight. I tried doing it with a Z but it's just not the same, I like a tacky feel to my putters.

I used to occasionally use a 150 dx Leopard for some putts. the tiniest flick of the wrist and it would soar with ease, with a nice little flight path too

I had a long period of putting with a Coyote, then a Buzzz. I really disliked the feel of a putter in my hand when I first started. There was nothing to hold on to. I usually use a Challenger anymore, or maybe a Rhyno, but putting with a Buzzz comes just as easily. If I miss the chains it soars forever.

The Classic Rocs that I use at the moment replaced my KC Aviars. I like the lower profile and it will not be taken by the wind easily. Also, I prefer to carry few discs and since I already throw Classic Roc on practically all approaches I thought I might as well putt with it too, since I haven't seen any negative sides of doing that. It's worth a try. To me it would feel awkward to putt with large diameter discs like Roc, Buzzz, Comet, etc, so when I try putting with mids it's always the ones with a small diameter that I try: Gator, Cro (and Spider would be there too, havent tried it for putting).

The Lat 64 putters have a pretty small profile. I've got a friend who's lights out with the Spike. I think the Pure is also a lo pro disc.

Just played with a guy this weekend that was money with a classic Roc, I would be fine with that after seeing him use it. Also play with a guy who uses a Spider, that looks fine as well. Most mids are too risky in the blow by department.

I putted with DX Stingrays for several years. They are very neutral, even at lower speeds. I credit that experience with developing a quick, straight putting stroke. I have also found that if, for whatever reason, I am having a bad day practice putting, using a mid will help correct my form. Sometimes you just need to concentrate a little more on what you are doing, and switching discs, momentarily, seems to help. It is probably also worth saying that when I am putting well, I could use anything. (Even a Boss) Conversely, when I am putting poorly, an electromagnet wouldn't be good enough. Good luck with whatever you putt with.
KP

Timko said:
The Lat 64 putters have a pretty small profile. I've got a friend who's lights out with the Spike. I think the Pure is also a lo pro disc.
Yes, especially Spike has a low fast profile for being a putter. Lat64 even describes it as "a short midrange control driver" when it is in Grip Line. And a putter when it is in Zero line.

I changed from Magnets to XDs a long time ago, since the huge rim depth of the Magnet always got caught up in my fingers, and I could never get a clean release with it. The XD was nice for getting me back on track, and I had some of my best putting rounds with it. Then came an extremely windy month in which the XD was constantly being blown off line. So I switched to the Classic Roc, I had a great DX plastic run that was totally money. It was much more resistant to wind than any other disc I've putted with, and it was also great for driving. Then I shanked my Classic Roc into a wet ditch and didn't bother to get too wet to recover it, knowing that somebody would find it after the rain stopped and drop it in the lost and found. Well, the jerks who did find it didn't bother to leave it in the lost and found, and never contacted me. I went on a shopping spree trying to find another Classic Roc like the one I lost, but no luck. Instead of the nice grippy rubbery plastic I had on the last one, they were all waxy, slippery, awful crap plastic. The second it got a ding in it, a pale fracture line would develop in the discs. If I bent them, they would permanently taco, just like working a hard wax. They beat in incredibly fast to become the flippiest most gawdawful POSs I've ever used. That's when a pro buddy I played with occasionally helped me out, as he saw me struggling with the Classic Roc. He gave me his Pro Challenger, which he said was too beat in for him to use any longer, but was still the most over-stable Challenger I've ever personally thrown. Anyways, I liked throwing a much slower disc for putting, but was unable to find another like the one he gave me, and so I began searching around again. I tried Aviars, Aviar-X, Voodoo, and Wizards. The Wizard was the one! I found that I could put a Wizard on any line and it would hold it. I could throw it nose up and get a little fade out of it if I wanted. And after buying a stack of them, they are all extremely consistent, I can swap out any of them for another and not notice the difference.

So for now, I'm a Wizard man. My wife is also converted, so we use the same pool of putters, which is very convenient.

Latest posts