• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Axiom] Pyro

Bump!

Can someone please post a good profile picture for me? I'm struggling to bond with the Wasp/Ghost/premium Roc crew and was thinking maybe this was similar...can anyone compare those mentioned to a Pyro? EDIT: I used to like the Sentinel FWIW

Thanks in advance.

I got one in my Gyropalooza box this year and have a Wasp for reference, gives me good reason to try the macro mode on my phones camera. Wasp is Pink, Pyro is a Sparkle Red Prism/Blue Core.

Attachments

• IMG_20230129_145451_hdr~4.jpg
    IMG_20230129_145451_hdr~4.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 69
Bump!

Can someone please post a good profile picture for me? I'm struggling to bond with the Wasp/Ghost/premium Roc crew and was thinking maybe this was similar...can anyone compare those mentioned to a Pyro? EDIT: I used to like the Sentinel FWIW

Thanks in advance.

Here we go:

Attachments

• AB6AA018-397E-4DD8-AE87-BD88F5303953.jpg
    AB6AA018-397E-4DD8-AE87-BD88F5303953.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 54
Pyro will be more overstable than a champ roc.

It's been forever since I've thrown one, but the pyro kinda reminds me of the Discraft Hornet. Fast and overstable, not meathook overstable though. You can nut up on it like a driver and it'll really straighten out with a reliable fade.

It doesn't look nearly overstable as it is when Simon throws it in videos.

Pyro will be more overstable than a champ roc.

It's been forever since I've thrown one, but the pyro kinda reminds me of the Discraft Hornet. Fast and overstable, not meathook overstable though. You can nut up on it like a driver and it'll really straighten out with a reliable fade.

It doesn't look nearly overstable as it is when Simon throws it in videos.

Nice! I have two I'm getting to throw for the first ti.e this weekend.

EDIT: The images don't seem to be attaching properly

Pyro is there in the class with the Hornet for sure. Even more so the Gila. Some glide for how beefy it is. Super workable. I toyed with it a hot minute between a Beefy Demon and a Buzzz. Then I had a demon beat in enough for the slot. I imagine a beat pyro could do some amazing stuff.

The Pyro is one of my favorite gyro molds. I don't really bag it just because I seldom bag an overstable mid. It does occasionally make the bag depending on the course, the wind, and my mood.

Played a round with a dude that had one of the prism, it was sexy. Won't this overlap with your Drones?

I'm thinking pre-beat Drone with a bit more distance potential. I miss Banshees though I haven't bagged them in years, Firebirds and Xcals are definitely more overstable and faster (which I bag). I've also migrated away from Buzzz' and have been on the Comet train so Pyros may pair nicely with them. I like to carry a small bag these days more often than not and may get more utility out of a Pyro than with a Drone. Some rounds they get double digit shots and other times collect dust.

I've never seen a Pyro fly until Simon threw them in the Florida video and I was instantly intrigued. Hell I've never really read discussion about them until now either, nor seen one in person until my package arrived.

I also haven't bought plastic in forever and felt the need to add something to my collection:)

I could see pyros and comets playing well. Decent gap in between, but if they made a fission pyro to beat on and a good domey MJ Comet and you could be set.
Or a lot a reactor in between em

I could see pyros and comets playing well. Decent gap in between, but if they made a fission pyro to beat on and a good domey MJ Comet and you could be set.
Or a lot a reactor in between em

I went (small bag) beat Icon Clutch, worn Z Buzzz, beat Champ Roadrunner for the more understable side of my bag today. I think I'm going to carry both the Buzzz and Comet in my bigger bags moving forward, kinda forgot *just* how much I love throwing a Buzzz until today.

PLH on both my Pyros are the same I'd say, yellow Proton has a hair of a shoulder and the Neutron is FLAT. Purchased weights of 174 though I haven't scaled either yet. I'm quite the, "flight numbers are overrated and merely general guidelines" but man 0/2.5 feels dishonest. They're not Deflector overstable but these had zero turn on a flat full power rip and the fade was prominant. Indistinguishable flights between the two so it was nice for repetition being able to throw both - got 36 holes in.

I didn't trust them on BH anhyzers nearly as much as a Drone but that's an unfair comparison since I've bagged them for so long. Oddly enough I dialed in FH flex shots almost immediately and even when missing my target I wasn't far off. Had a handful of skip shots on hardpack with great results and even got a few approach spike hyzers in. After today I definitely need to bring Drones along side them to do a direct comparsion...my guess is they'll coexist but that decision will take some time. One thing I noticed without trying is I doubt I'll enjoy throwing them overhand which is a shot I rarely though consistently throw with a Drone. Same with the scoober/thumber skip/whatever you call it...I get the feeling these won't like flying upside down.

Overall I had a pretty poor 36 holes! Still felt great to get out for the first time since Thanksgiving.

Last edited:
Definitely one of my favorite molds. It started out a lot like my current favorite mold of all time, the Volt. Wasn't sure about it at first, but slowly grew on me until I was starting to ignore most of my other molds in that speed class.

Bump.... looking for a mid to slot between a Hex and a Quake and the Reactor isn't as HSS as I'd like. Can anyone compare a Pyro directly with a Quake?

Pyro is SO MUCH more overstable.

They're more overstable than a Firebird and it's not even close, hope that helps. It won't fit between and Quake and anything, unless you also bag a Max or Tilt etc. lol

EDIT: I can elaborate if you want on the Pyros flight, lmk

Pyro is SO MUCH more overstable.

They're more overstable than a Firebird and it's not even close, hope that helps. It won't fit between and Quake and anything, unless you also bag a Max or Tilt etc. lol

EDIT: I can elaborate if you want on the Pyros flight, lmk
Really? You mentioned above that it was similar to a beat Drone and now it's between a FB and Tilt?

I'm thinking pre-beat Drone . . . . .
So wrong.

EDIT: See, this is why flight number are bullshit. 5/3/1/4 for DRONE and 5/4/0/2.5 for PYRO. That's utter nonsense lol

I read my other post too I don't see me calling the Pyro less overstable than a fresh Drone. Regardless, here you go:

Drones will turn RHBH for me new or beat, though of course beat is easier (with anhyzer I'm not just a torque monkey lol)

I never want to throw a RHBH flex shot with a Pyro - it has to do with the flight plate. They never once did what I expected. The Drone is curved down on the outside top edge more like a putter, where a Pyro is "most high/tall" on the very outside edge of the disc like a Zone. Same reason I said they wouldn't like flying upside down, I don't like to throw scoobers/hammers/thumbers with a "high flight plate". I don't know how to descirbe that part well I hope you understand. A little dome or shoulder goes a long way.

FH flex shots are a different story, and admittedly I'm pretty trash at forehand. It would provide a huge sweeping S curve ALWAYS coming back. Drones you can torque over with ____ fade depending, sometimes zero fade. Not the Pyro.

Yes it's closer to a Firebird, Max, or Tilt as mentioned. It's absurdly overstable. I don't think I'll ever get a Pyro as understable (relatively) as a beat Drone or brand new Quake.

They skip for miles and won't ever turn over on you by accident, but it's a one trick pony. A Pyro would make your Quake(s) look like children.

Last edited:
Love you buddy.

But, yeah, it's not what you're looking for lol