• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Question

This. There's no magic for putters. The most important thing is how it feels, and how you like to throw it. Some people like beads, others beadless. Some like US, some like OS.

If I have to name a disc, it's the Judge.
For putts, approaches and drives. Classic hard for putting, lucid for approaches and drives.
I completely agree. In my brief experience putting, I use the Innova Birdie. I consider it the best putter, but I am pretty much the only one that does..

Putting: Aviar P&A
Approach: Polecat
Driving: I like the Proxy because it's a little more shallow and I can FH it easily, but otherwise I'd pick Aviar again here, but probably KC Pro.

Hard to beat something like a Wizard for all three. (Big Bead Aviar mold and Challengers are in the same boat). Good initial stability and can be cycled well to cover all shots short of OS utility.

For me:
Putting: Wizards
Driving and approach: Wizards, Scales (which are just OS glideless Wizards), and a Harp or Zone (I've spent years with Zones but am liking the Harp right now for being more versatile/beaded/better baseline plastic, less skippy, less dramatically OS).

I prefer beadless putters with chunky rims that are fairly shallow. I've settled on these P&A discs not just because how they fly but because they feel comfortable to grip (very important). In my world I think these are the best.

Putting: Jawbreaker Roach - Flies stable while keeping a very straight path. Like a putter version of a Buzzz. Jawbreaker plastic is durable and grippy.

Approach: Big Z Roach & 750 PA1 - Usually using the Roach because it's very accurate without much effort. I don't worry about over-shooting or having it hyzer out too early. The PA1 is great in the wind and get's to the ground quickly. Also good for hyzer-ing around things.

Driving: 750 PA1 / Big Z Roach / 750 PA4 - I pick whichever one is needed off the tee. You don't have to pick a one size fits all mold for putter drives. Just like drivers and mids have a good selection that works for different needs.

Putting - P2
Approach - Nova
Driving- P2

If you prefer beaded putters BB Aviars/Wizards are great. They're great for putting & driving off the tee.

Putting: plasma Ion
Approaches: doesn't get any better than the comfortable and glideless serpent/scale combo
Drives: proxy/envy combo-lots of glide and awesome HSS

putting: D P2
Approach: d plastic, medium hard, Pure
Driving: P3 (only hyzer on this though, I will disc up for anything needing to flip)

Putting: D P2
Approach: medium hard pure
Driving: P3 (only straight to hyzer. anything needing to flip over, I'll disc up)

Ooops, I posted twice. Just thought my opinion REALLY counted

Last edited:
Classic Aviar for putting, approaching, and straight/turnover drives. Something else for windy approaches or drives (lots of good options mentioned.)

Putting: Plutonium. Combines the great base plastic blends of Gateway that are largely responsible for making the Wizard so great with the RDG top that feels great and takes all that pesky glide out of your putts. Don't like beads? Go with a Serpent.

Approach: Polecat if you want to run the basket, Zone if you want to do some goofy skip or roller or just spike hyzer it in there.

Driving: Wizard if you don't mind cycling, Ion for similar versatility in great premium plastic. I actually use a Breaker though b/c my putters off the tee usually need to do one trick: Be really HSS and have enough LSS to stay straight. The Ion flies much better and more lines but the Breaker is stupidly predictable with its OAT resistance and stubborn HSS.

Latest posts