• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Questions about Climo's "fork grip"

Calling it a fork grip is vague, confusing and gimicky. It's really just a standard power grip. Hold out your open thowing hand with the palm facing up. Look at the creases of the first joint of each finger. Do they all line up perfectly straight? No they do not unless you have a genetic disorder of some kind. In order to power grip a disc properly you need to get all four of those creases to line up on the underside of the rim where the bead would be on a beaded disc. Since all of your fingers are different lengths, you have to bend some and spread others in order to get the creases to line up properly. When you do this it just so happens that it looks very similar to the position your hand would be in while holding a fork to eat. So when they tell people to hold there hand like their holding a fork without explaining the reasoning and goal behind it, then it leads to threads like this.

That's completely inaccurate..... The middle and ring fingers ARE NOT sitting on the rim. The point is to STACK them on top of each other, so it increases resistance on the pinking during ejection of the disc. Then the rip point is the index finger. ONLY the Index, and pinky should be touching the inside rim of the disc. The grip you're describing is a four finger power grip and is not the same as a Stacked fork grip.

Also, the fact it's called a "fork grip" it does resemble holding a fork, but the way the index is spread away from the other three which are stacked on top of each other, and not touching the rim. Is what mainly sets it apart from a power grip. Those that asked if it's used for long drives, it "can" be but is more used for accuracy/medium distance shots. But, it could be used for distances if you've got the form to throw 500, the grip isn't that big of a distance killer, but you could possibly get more distance with a four finger power grip.

Last edited:
Does Tiger Woods have the same swing as Phil Mickelson? Does Lebron James have the same jump shot as Kobe? Of course not.

Do what feels comfortable and works for you. Everybody has different hands, fingers, etc.

In other words, there is no wrong or right way to grip a disc.

I have to ask...hope somebody can answer...I've heard that Climo uses this fork grip for every single shot. Even the short putts????? So he has his index finger curled in on the rim of his putter??? lol

That is beyond my comprehension how anybody could putt like that. That's like using a 4 finger power grip on a putter...extremely uncomfortable.

If this is true that he uses that fork on his putter, it just goes to show you how different his hands are from the majority of people. I'm a little surprised that they try to encourage and push the fan grip as if it is "the best" grip. It's kind of like encouraging and pushing one type of disc and saying it's the best. But Climo is the champ so I would willingly and thankfully receive any advice he would give. Maybe I'm viewing the grip wrong though. I'm assuming that the tip of the index finger is firmly pressed against the rim of the disc.

That's one of the beauties of this great game...the "unlimited" variations of throwing...

sorry for the book

Last edited:
I converted to the fork grip when learning to drive with putters and mids. Funny the other day I was driving and I tried to throw some with my old four finger power grip and I couldn't throw worth a crap! The fork grip is awesome after you get used to it as you can use pretty much the same grip for every shot, mid, drive, putt. The only difference in the putt is extending your middle finger out a little for stability.

When I first tried it I could get a great snap, however hyzered everything. Learned to keep the nose down and I can throw farther and more accurate.

I converted to the fork grip when learning to drive with putters and mids. Funny the other day I was driving and I tried to throw some with my old four finger power grip and I couldn't throw worth a crap! The fork grip is awesome after you get used to it as you can use pretty much the same grip for every shot, mid, drive, putt. The only difference in the putt is extending your middle finger out a little for stability.

When I first tried it I could get a great snap, however hyzered everything. Learned to keep the nose down and I can throw farther and more accurate.

I agree about the 4 finger power grip, can't control it. However, I have friends who can bomb it with the 4 finger with superb accuracy. And there's nothing wrong with holding your putter differently than your driver. Because after all, it's a completely different shot. Closest analogy I can think of...do ball golfers hold their putter the same they do their driver?

For me personally, I'd rather have a different grip and mindset when I'm putting. But that's just me.

As far as I know, no Climo doesn't use the fork grip for "EVERY" shot including putting. But, he does use it for a whole lot of shots. Pretty sure he uses a fan grip with index finger under the rim, not wrapped for putting. But, everyone should learn and be able to use multiple grips. As most offer some advantage the other doesn't. Just like being able to shape lines. Your ability to "match" what you see in the pictures might not be exact, as stated above everyone differs slightly in their physical make up. And, that can determine a lot as how comfortable a grip can be, or should be.

Different grips offer many things, is one control. When you throw with snap, it changes the amount of pressure needed to release the disc from your hand, thus allowing for distance variance. This is assuming your have good clean form. The forces of the disc at the hit, need to be more than what's exerted by the fingers, the more you increase the strength of your fingers the more force is needed to rip the disc from them. The more you increase the strength of your grip, more distance can be achieved.
Four fingers curled under on the rim is one of the grips that offers the most resistance to the disc ripping from your hand, therefore imparting more force onto the disc.(Offering a bigger distance potential) The stacked grips offer slightly less resistance, therefore imparting less force onto the disc.(Which offers more accuracy, but at the fractional cost of distance.) Then you get into the fan grips which offer much less resistance.(Offering much more accuracy, at cost of distance.) All of these grips have a resistance point(Generally the middle, ring, and pinky finger), and a release/rip point.(Generally the index finger.) There are MANY MANY other grips that offer just as much distance/control as these, that might be more comfortable to you. I suggest you explore and find which works best for you.

This is what I use.
Drivers
-Four finger power grips for big D with some accuracy.
-Stacked Fork grip for accuracy medium/upper range stuff. (Biggest addition here is added accuracy over distance where control is key.)

Mids
-Stacked fork for distance, of if I'm in the open I might go four finger power grip, but not much.
-Index finger wrapped fan grip for for shorter drives, or shorter shots where finesse is required.

Putters
-Index finger wrapped fan grip for drives up to 300'+ and even use it for approaches from 220' in to about 100'. Very rarely if I'm in the open and really feel like I can rip a drive with a putter will I use a Stacked fork grip for maybe a slight bit of extra distance. But, I'd generally pull out a Mid if I wanted more distance here.
-Then I use the fan grip with index under the rim, not wrapped for normal putting.

That's completely inaccurate..... The middle and ring fingers ARE NOT sitting on the rim. The point is to STACK them on top of each other, so it increases resistance on the pinking during ejection of the disc. Then the rip point is the index finger. ONLY the Index, and pinky should be touching the inside rim of the disc. The grip you're describing is a four finger power grip and is not the same as a Stacked fork grip.

Also, the fact it's called a "fork grip" it does resemble holding a fork, but the way the index is spread away from the other three which are stacked on top of each other, and not touching the rim. Is what mainly sets it apart from a power grip. Those that asked if it's used for long drives, it "can" be but is more used for accuracy/medium distance shots. But, it could be used for distances if you've got the form to throw 500, the grip isn't that big of a distance killer, but you could possibly get more distance with a four finger power grip.

Calling it a stacked fork grip instead of a fork grip definitely makes it a less vaque and confusing name which makes my post not quite "completely innacurate". I'd say keep the stacked and lose the gimicky "fork" terminology and you'd have even a better way to describe it and would lead to much less confusion.

It seemed to me that Climo uses the "birdie" grip more than anything because he has such enormous hands he always has his middle finger extended except on drive grips.

Calling it a stacked fork grip instead of a fork grip definitely makes it a less vaque and confusing name which makes my post not quite "completely innacurate". I'd say keep the stacked and lose the gimicky "fork" terminology and you'd have even a better way to describe it and would lead to much less confusion.

If you weren't worried about the semantics of the name, it works period. As I pointed out, it's named the fork grip because of the relative resemblance to holding a fork. How the index finger is separated from the other three fingers, like when holding a fork, is what sets it away from the standard power grip.... How is that gimicky? The fact it's the stacked fork grip, just points out the resistance fingers are stacked on top of each other, instead of sitting on the rim. Really they could have named it the spoon grip, but again that's all semantics and wouldn't make it a gimick, nor would it make it less effective.

Do a power grip with proper wrist orientation and then remove the disc. If I do this my hand looks exactly like Climo's does in the silly video when he puts a fork in his hand. The only way my small hands can fit the rim and maintain proper wrist orientation at the same time is to spread my first finger forward a little which is where the fork would go. So if you're going to call something a fork, spoon, pencil, chopstick, or any other name then you need to do a better job of explaining it than just saying put a fork in there and you'll be good to go. That's all I'm sayin'.

It's not a semantics thing at all. I like Jewish people.

that is a great video. ive used power grip all of last year and so far this year and just today i switched to the fork grip with my midrange (star cro). it feels a lot more normal and smooth especially with a disc with a wider rim. Had a smooth straight shot with it that nailed the basket on a 250' hole, thumbs up for this thread!

I can only imagine that it would have felt really uncomfortable in front of two of the baddest disc huckin' men on this earth.

I would have to imagine I was any good for that to make me uncomfortable. But I'm secure in my mediocrity. And we were there for a lesson, not to compete, so I wasn't worried about embarassing myself. :D

I was actually surprised at what "regular" guys they were. Dave even comes across a bit shy in person, though once he gets in "teacher" mode he does an awfully good job. I suppose it helps that he has a graduate degree in phys. ed.

I tried this technique for a couple of throws today and really only noticed more distance instead of accuracy. I threw a DX Valk about 50 ft farther than my normal throws. Kinda hurt my forearm a little just cause I'm not use to that grip. I normally throw like I putt, with the index finger on the rim of the disc, etc.

I can see how mastering this fork technique would allow one to own.

I'm having a strange experience. Now that I've practiced the grips that Climo and Feldberg showed in their lesson, they feel more natural than my old 3-finger grip. They don't add any distance, but they do seem to add some control. I seem to be able to put a closer a "pattern" of drivers down the fairway. By which I mean when I throw 3-5 drivers, they all seem to go to about the same place, whereas with my old 3-finger grip they could be all over the place. I'm not parking them yet, but the difference is like using a rifle vs. a musket. The rifle you can adjust and know what to expect. :)

The other thing I've noticed is that I'm not getting the same pop on the "hit" that I used to. I'm not sure what that means, but it's encouraging that with apparently less whipping action, I'm producing the same distance. Maybe once I get used to it I'll start breaking my old barriers. We'll see.

Last edited:
Do a power grip with proper wrist orientation and then remove the disc. If I do this my hand looks exactly like Climo's does in the silly video when he puts a fork in his hand. The only way my small hands can fit the rim and maintain proper wrist orientation at the same time is to spread my first finger forward a little which is where the fork would go. So if you're going to call something a fork, spoon, pencil, chopstick, or any other name then you need to do a better job of explaining it than just saying put a fork in there and you'll be good to go. That's all I'm sayin'.

It's not a semantics thing at all. I like Jewish people.

Well, I hate to say it. But, you're just doing it wrong. You would have to have extremely tiny digits to not be able to do a power grip correctly, unless you're talking about a disc in the 11-13 range. And then, there aren't many people that can perform a power grip very "well" on those period. And, when I say well, they're still doing it pretty close to correct. Your comfort is a personal thing, doesn't mean you're performing the power grip correctly.

That Chinger Guy I tried this technique for a couple of throws today and really only noticed more distance instead of accuracy. I threw a DX Valk about 50 ft farther than my normal throws. Kinda hurt my forearm a little just cause I'm not use to that grip. I normally throw like I putt, with the index finger on the rim of the disc, etc.

I can see how mastering this fork technique would allow one to own.
The reason you actually got more power than accuracy, is because you haven't been using your index finger which is where a most of your snap comes from. If you keep trying this, then go to a power grip with all four fingers inside the rim, you'll really see a difference in accuracy.

Lewis I'm having a strange experience. Now that I've practiced the grips that Climo and Feldberg showed in their lesson, they feel more natural than my old 3-finger grip. They don't add any distance, but they do seem to add some control. I seem to be able to put a closer a "pattern" of drivers down the fairway. By which I mean when I throw 3-5 drivers, they all seem to go to about the same place, whereas with my old 3-finger grip they could be all over the place. I'm not parking them yet, but the difference is like using a rifle vs. a musket. The rifle you can adjust and know what to expect.

The other thing I've noticed is that I'm not getting the same pop on the "hit" that I used to. I'm not sure what that means, but it's encouraging that with apparently less whipping action, I'm producing the same distance. Maybe once I get used to it I'll start breaking my old barriers. We'll see.

Yeah, accuracy makes a this grip very good. I tend to use this when I want a straighter, or anny throw, but still maintain my distance. The grouping is important, as you said the accuracy makes grouping easier and makes you more confident over all. It's a definite plus.

Update on this, for whoever may be interested. I seem to be settling on the "Fork" grip over the Feldberg variation on the power grip. The main "modification" I made, for my own comfort, is that I stack my last three fingers next to each other rather than over the top of each other. I don't think my fingers are quite long enough to do it fully like Climo does, but I'm definitely getting comfortable with "my" variation on it.

And I'm continuing to see some results with control. Maybe even starting to see results with distance as well. Could be that the added control is making my lines straighter at the basket, and is thus maximizing the distance out of my lines. Because if you're off your line to the basket it can look like less than it is, especially if you try to throw it through a tree.