• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Questions About Putting with a Driver

dleath19

Par Member
I am still new enough that I am trying to figure out my technique, and still top out at around 300 ft with my drivers. I read a lot about learning technique by driving with a putter. When I try to do this I always turn them over badly, and have not had any success. Here are my questions that I would love to hear some answers to.

1. Does a putter come out on a flat line like a well thrown driver or mid, or should I expect a different flight path.

2. Do you drastically change anything in your technique when driving with a putter?

3. Do you slow your arm down, or snap less when driving with a putter?

4. Should I just be learning how to drive with a driver and not be wasting my time driving with a putter?

Thanks in advance for the help. Looking forward to hearing the responses.

1. Different putters fly differently, just like the other classes of disc. If your putters have a bead, they should hold a very nice flat line.

2. I don't change anything when I drive with a putter.

3. No, I don't do any of those things just because I'm driving with a putter.

4. You should take the time to learn. If something is going wrong, it's an indication of improper technique. Those probelms can be masked by an overstable high speed driver, but you'll have to fix them if you want to throw farther, so masking them will only hurt you in the long run. Throwing with a putter is what helps you to figure out what's going wrong. Usually when people are turning discs over badly is because of Off Axis Torque (OAT), or, less likely, because you're getting too much velocity and not enough snap...even an understable disc will fly with some stability if you're getting enough snap.

If you're looking for help here, a good start would be to post a video, or even describe what discs you're using, what stages of wear, and exactly what the flight of the disc looks like. Also do some searching around on OAT, you'll find it everywhere here.

EDIT: Oh, and your title is a little misleading, I think you got it backwards...putting with a Boss is definitely not looked upon favorably around here :)

When driving with my putter, I put a good deal of hyzer on it. This way it flips up and carries straight. If I am releasing it flat, I am using it within relative close range (150 ft or under)

emiller3 said:
EDIT: Oh, and your title is a little misleading, I think you got it backwards...putting with a Boss is definitely not looked upon favorably around here :)

I'm not sure, but I think he did that on purpose.

Anhyzer finish (downward followthrough) is what always seems to be the culprit when i torque over a disc.

Drivers and mids are faster and therefore better at masking this OAT. Practicing with putters or even lids will forced me to learn how to follow through level.

I still revisit lid only practice sessions from time to time.

I have to adjust my grip a little otherwise the putter sits in my hand with alot of hyzer built in, I also almost always throw from a standstill with my putters (and frequently mids under 275). I tend not to OAT as much on putters with a standstill.

i had this problem when i would drive with my wizards... i realized that my run up was causing me to put to much speed on the disc... so i started throwing a 1 step drive making sure i pulled the disc through close to my chest with a lil bit of hyzer (pretty much flat) and making sure i get a wizard clean release with good spin on the disc.. this helped ALOT.. i have been gettin birdies on the shorter holes and even aced a 190 foot hole with a wizard (this hole used to give me fits)

its amazing what a little time with a roc can do for you...