• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Questions on footwear

sweeper

Eagle Member
I am not asking where to get them or, necessarily what shoes are best. I am more interested in the "why" of it all.

I am fairly new to the game, I've been playing almost a year and I see and hear people on the course and on this site talking about what shoes they were. I have heard a lot about some Bite Me shoes that everyone seems to like.

I mean on most average courses, other than a little wet, what do you really need? Sometimes, I could go for a little waterproofing, but for the most part, I don't want to give up the athletic feel, light weight, comfort and flexibility (sp?) of sneakers (usually addidas low tops) for the weight and bulk of a boot.

What is the deal with shoes, boots, sneakers and what should I look for/ what am I missing by just playing in average athletic shoes?

I will not be a sales pitch. Comfort, support, and traction are the major things I look for. If your playing in a tournament then you will be on your feet for hours at a time a lot of just standing, and that is very hard on my knees. One of the things I look for is a good arch. In my opinion Salomon's fit my feet the best, but different strokes for different folks. On tournament weekends I bring 2 pair 1 for each day, I don't like wearing the same shoe day after day.

For me i only wear boots in winter or if it is gonna rain during the day. Other than that I go with cross training type shoes, and I bring two pairs to any tourney just in case. IMO boots arent really needed unless foul weather is in store and for me they just make my feet too heavy to play at my top level.

DG shoes are the only clothes I splurge on. I'm tough on shoes as I'm a 6'5" 275lb guy. I want them to last and have lots of cushioning. The 2 best I've found for me are merrells chamelion stretch and Salomon 3D xcr pro.

dgdave said:
DG shoes are the only clothes I splurge on. I'm tough on shoes as I'm a 6'5" 275lb guy. I want them to last and have lots of cushioning. The 2 best I've found for me are merrells chamelion stretch and Salomon 3D xcr pro.

Salomon 3D xcr pro :D

AFAIK, the shoes most people talk about for disc golf are similar to trail running shoes which means you won't be giving up much of anything over most other athletic shoes. They'll be a bit heavier but the added traction and support you'll gain when on slopes, in wet conditions or doing stuff like fishing your discs out of creeks.

FWIW, my current ones are Gore-tex New Balence trail runners. My last pair were Adidas TR-X trail runners and they've both been good to me.

whatever you do dont buy anything from hi tec. years ago i remember them making good products but ive been through two pairs in 3 months recently. Hi Tec = PEWP

garublador said:
AFAIK, the shoes most people talk about for disc golf are similar to trail running shoes which means you won't be giving up much of anything over most other athletic shoes. They'll be a bit heavier but the added traction and support you'll gain when on slopes, in wet conditions or doing stuff like fishing your discs out of creeks.
This is right on. Hiking/trail running shoes have the support of an athletic shoe plus lug soles for better traction, and waterproofing in the better models for the wet seasons.

In the summertime when moisture and slipping is less of an issue I can usually get away with an old pair of running shoes though.

I'll also say that you'll know it if you actually need better footwear. I got stuck on a muddy hill once and realized that I couldn't play that course if I didn't have better shoes. I also play in the mornings a lot so the grass is frequently dewey. Add in any sort of dirt and it can get really slick without good traction.

jeremy said:
dgdave said:

Salomon 3D xcr pro :D

Just had to get new laces, as I blew out both of them in the same day! I have had them since September, and played pretty hard in them. The laces are cutting though the fabric a bit too, but I think they're the best shoe out there right now that I've tried.

Salomon sent me the laces for free too!

Follow all the other's advice, get what's most comfortable for you, unless you find some super sweet pimpin shoes that make you look ultra cool...

pd

Something not mentioned is that the vibram soles last longer if you play on concrete tees regularly.

I have to admit, I play in sneakers often, but the dg shoes are great as well.

Overall, it's for comfort, traction and durability. An added benefit is that sneakers don't offer much protection in the toes for those courses with lots of small roots or low cut small stumps.

I have a pair of merrills that do a pretty good job of keeping my feet dry on dewy mornings as well. The shoes get wet, but my feet don't.

I wear soccer cleats to play, unless the course has concrete tees, then I stick with my running shoes. My home courses (pecan and pioneer parks in nac, tx) have dirt tees, and they can get pretty muddy. I always have a distinct advantage when it's really muddy and slippery out, and I watch everyone else power down their drives. My cleats cling to my feet as well, and have a plasticy exterior, so they are a little more waterproof than my running shoes. it's also nice to tear up the muddy dirt tee for the next guy after I plant with my cleats, kinda pisses em off, but I'm not slippin or worring about taking anything off my throws.

It would certainly piss me off, if I saw someone tearing up the ground on the disc golf course in cleats. Bad form.

Of course, I couldn't speak for your neck of the woods but that's how it would be around here.

I've had my Salamons since October. I didn't buy the waterproof version, because a waterproof low top shoe is kinda stupid (IMHO). I bought a set of Sealskins on Ebay for about 12 bucks. I've played in temps as low as 7 this year and been toasty and dry. Today it was about 28 and there was a lot of water laying around on the course, and I was comfy. The Sals seem to drain very nicely, so they never feel heavy, even when soaked. I'm happy so far...but if they fell apart tomorrow, I'd have a different opinion. :lol: Oh, I'm impressed at how much traction I get with these things...the sole doesn't LOOK that aggressive.

nah man, I'm not really tearin up the tee on purpose, it just happens sometimes when it gets really wet and muddy here,, our courses just happen to be on floodplains, so the tees get nasty slick and muddy. I'm actually the guy helpin pack new dirt down every two months, and trying to get good french drainage systems working for our fairways, so they don't really give me crap about it... i'm not takin big chuncks out on every throw, i'm just doin what i've gotta do to throw well in the rain... i don't really think that anyone's shot has actually turned out worse because of my cleats,, and i do think they are a must for anyone playing on my home course when it has rained on lot... in fact, most of our guys are wearing cleats now. in the summer all that dirt gets rock hard and i usually wear normal tennis shoes then...

I have a pair of Reebok's cross country running shoes, nice and light with gore tex.
Keeps my feet warm & dry. I think it's best for your game to use something that
feels good, not what the pro's prefer (or what they get through sponsorships).

I definitely like low tops. I have Haglöf's trail2mid high top hiking shoes for
winter play, and they're a bit too stiff cause of the high top.

Latest posts