• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Questions on footwear

stoneman said:
I've had my Salamons since October. I didn't buy the waterproof version, because a waterproof low top shoe is kinda stupid (IMHO).
You must not play in the mornings. 90% of the water my feet see is from dew. 95% of the water my feet see is from dew or puddles. I don't see why high tops would be better, I almost never see bodies of water that I need to step in that are deep enough to be above a low top but below a high top.

I bought some gore-tex solomons last summer on the clearance rack at REI, and they're still running strong. They might be the first pair of DG shoez to last me an entire year. That's playing a LOT of golf, though. If I played less than 8-10 rounds a week my shoes would last a lot longer.

I'll definitely stick with solomons from here on out, though. Just gotta hang around the clearance rack like a vulture to b e able to afford them!

anarak82 said:
nah man, I'm not really tearin up the tee on purpose, it just happens sometimes when it gets really wet and muddy here,, our courses just happen to be on floodplains, so the tees get nasty slick and muddy. I'm actually the guy helpin pack new dirt down every two months, and trying to get good french drainage systems working for our fairways, so they don't really give me crap about it... i'm not takin big chuncks out on every throw, i'm just doin what i've gotta do to throw well in the rain... i don't really think that anyone's shot has actually turned out worse because of my cleats,, and i do think they are a must for anyone playing on my home course when it has rained on lot... in fact, most of our guys are wearing cleats now. in the summer all that dirt gets rock hard and i usually wear normal tennis shoes then...
I didn't mean to bust your balls. In this case cleats don't sound unreasonable at all.

niuvalleycane said:
question:

hi tops

3/4 cuts

low cuts

what ya sportin'?
Low tops all the way! GoreTex if it isn't summertime.

I have tried the waterproof sock route and it definitely wasn't for me.

ChUcK said:
I'll definitely stick with solomons from here on out, though. Just gotta hang around the clearance rack like a vulture to b e able to afford them!
I'll plug for these guys, cause this is where I usually find good shoe deals:
http://www.backcountryoutlet.com/

I have no idea why everyone is so high on Solomon though. I know a lot of people who disc in them and durability seems to be an ongoing issue.

high top merrells for me, but i have flat feet and need good ankle support
That's what I rock as well. With special insoles that raise my arch.

anarak82 said:
nah man, I'm not really tearin up the tee on purpose, it just happens sometimes when it gets really wet and muddy here,, our courses just happen to be on floodplains, so the tees get nasty slick and muddy. I'm actually the guy helpin pack new dirt down every two months, and trying to get good french drainage systems working for our fairways, so they don't really give me crap about it... i'm not takin big chuncks out on every throw, i'm just doin what i've gotta do to throw well in the rain... i don't really think that anyone's shot has actually turned out worse because of my cleats,, and i do think they are a must for anyone playing on my home course when it has rained on lot... in fact, most of our guys are wearing cleats now. in the summer all that dirt gets rock hard and i usually wear normal tennis shoes then...

if it is wet and muddy and you are just out playing for fun...then please throw from behind the tee or to the left/right. please please.... do you guys plan on fixing them before your tourney?

For me its all about the grip needed for the course and tee pads. If its wet and muddy and the course has natural tee pads...I choose a hiking low/mid top with an aggressive tread. Salomon mt. series for me. If the course has grippy pads, concrete, I use a trial runner with med. aggressive soles. If the course is a park course with concrete...I go with skate shoes of some type. If I use too grippy soles on concrete my kness hurt after a few rounds.

Depends on the temp and traction.
Lowas or Merrells for when it is damp or wet and I will need extra traction and goretex

Lightweight Pumas with sharp tread for nice dry days.

All low-tops.

Eric O said:
ChUcK said:
I'll plug for these guys, cause this is where I usually find good shoe deals:
http://www.backcountryoutlet.com/

I have no idea why everyone is so high on Solomon though. I know a lot of people who disc in them and durability seems to be an ongoing issue.

Because they sponsor a boatload of disc golfters. Next time around, though, I'd like to try the new Merrell trail running shoes. They look solid, and they've got a Vibram sole.

Furthur said:
Because they sponsor a boatload of disc golfters.

:roll:

Sponsored people don't have to go out of pocket to replace worn through shoes.

I know. But if you don't try them, then you won't ever know.

And so far, sans the laces, mine are holding up very nicely.

Eric O said:
Furthur said:
Because they sponsor a boatload of disc golfters.

:roll:

Sponsored people don't have to go out of pocket to replace worn through shoes.
Yeah, but showing that sponsoring disc golfers will make them money means there's a higher potential for more sponsors.

It's great that Solomon is supporting disc golf.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be tempted to buy what I felt was an inferior product on that basis alone.

The best shoes that I've ever owned are a pair of low-top Solomon hiking shoes. They have the sole of a hiking boot with the design of a trail running shoe. They're close to three years old and have suffered high traffic, high stress kitchen work, multiple day and night backpacking trips, adverse weather conditions and tons of golf. The only thing that's wrong with them is that they're no longer waterproof thanks to a few minuscule holes. Admittedly, these holes are between the shoe and sole, but I'm still optimistic that I'll be able to sew them/find some kick ass super glue.

Eric O said:

On the other hand, I wouldn't be tempted to buy what I felt was an inferior product on that basis alone.
I've heard that every brand both falls apart after a week and lasts forever. I haven't seen any general perception that Solomon is worse than any other brand.

garublador said:
Eric O said:

I've heard that every brand both falls apart after a week and lasts forever. I haven't seen any general perception that Solomon is worse than any other brand.
Maybe I'm wrong and they are no less durable than the average shoes in their price range. Even so it doesn't explain why the DGR consensus is that they are superman shoes.

Anyway the real point I was trying to make in the first place is that when you are looking for disc golf shoes you do yourself a disservice if you don't check out some of the other footwear that is available. It's like deciding you are buying a new car and only looking at Toyotas.

i have some 3/4 height lightweight goretex boots by the north face. they have been holding up fine and generally keep my feet dry in the rain, at least until my feet start to sweat (the shoes are a bit hot but that doesn't really bother me). i hike in them too.

these are the women's but they are similar to mine, except the color:

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/the-north-face/adrenaline-gore-tex-xcr-mid/

Maybe I'm wrong and they are no less durable than the average shoes in their price range. Even so it doesn't explain why the DGR consensus is that they are superman shoes.

i've beat up my fair share of shoes during my lifetime and my disc golfing. my experience is, if you play enough....your shoes will fall apart. i've used running shoes, salomons, and turfs (i.e. indoor football type shoe or baseball trainer).

the salomons are by far the most comfortable and offer the most support. they are an amazing pair of shoes, but are a bit over hyped. don't be afraid to try out something in a lower price range ;)

salomons seem to break down quicker than other shoes. the soft compound that the sole is composed of makes them very comfortable and light, but also leads to a faster breakdown.

the breakdown is a bit faster, but probably nothing to be concerned about for the majority of disc golfers.

the turfs held up the longest BTW.

Latest posts