• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] R-Pro Boss

i just ordered the blueberry r-pro xcaliber in 168. Im pretty excited to see how it flies. I might just make a move over to r-pro all together if I like it. I want the rw-pro roc ^ nice...

Hmmmm... CE plastic lasts really, really long time... they don't make it any more.

R-Pro disintegrates upon contact... and they're putting everything in R-Pro now.

Sounds like marketing decisions to me... ;)

Probably some truth there... the difference though here is that you CAN buy durable plastic if you want to... you just have the option of buying stuff that beats up quick.

The old SE plastic for some of the discs (like the Valks) was the quickest-beating plastic ever from Innova for those molds, but boy did those discs get some D... I don't know the physics of it, but there seems to be some relationship between durability and distance. Pro Wraiths bomb forever, but beat in way too quick for me -- not worth it. SE Valks, same way... R-Pro Bosses sound like the same deal.

Innova's farthest flying plastics in any mold are often the ones that beat the quickest. Personally, I'll sacrifice a few feet of distance for a more predictable line. And the fact that you can hit a block of granite at top speed with a Star or Champ disc, pick it up, dust it off, and huck it again without missing a beat. Takes hundreds of hits to start changing those discs... great price/performance ratios. Sounds like the R-Pro stuff doesn't have the same ROI.

r-pro boss throws longer with a cost

In most cases, I can bomb my 160g r-pro boss disk 30+ ft further than my 169g star or my 174g champion boss. It glides longer and has less fade than the other two. This disc works great with no wind or a tailwind. Early in the morning with dew on the grass or after a rain, water won't slow you down as this disc is extreemely grippy.

I also seem to get better accuracy out of it than many other drivers because of it's good glide characteristics and I can take a little off the power of the throw and still get good performance without getting punished by severe fade like you would with most high speed discs.

In a headwind, this disc will get pushed down or it will stay ani and won't come back. Do not use this disc in a headwind at all.

Also, after I threw it about 20 times, the disc already looked beaten in. The material is very soft and will take scratches from any tree or rock it hits. The rim is not flexy like my r-pro dart or r-pro aviar (or like a player cup disc) but the material overall is so soft I am concerned that after a couple of months this disc will no longer be useable other being used for over water shots.

So to sum up my opinion, this is a great downhill, low-wind, or down-wind disc that will give the average player extra distance most of the time at the cost of poor durability and poor headwind performance.

Lighter weight
=
More Distance
=
Less Durablility

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

I have heard that the R-Pro plastic has a tendency of turning over badly, has anyone had any problems with this with the new Boss?

Latest posts