• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Range Discs?

CaddyJeff

Bogey Member
So I am still fairly new to the sport, been spending a lot of time in a field near my house throwing discs. I have about 8 random discs, almost all of them I bought in a used bin from a local pro shop(5$ each). I bought most of them just so when I practiced I did not have to walk out and pick up 2 or 3 discs at a time. I have gotten a bit better and started realizing how the discs will perform, but with everything going through my mind at the time of the throw(keep it flat, pull it tight, stop the elbow...etc...) I hate having to try and change the angle of release for each disc, and my grip rarely feels the same.

Basically I want to have a kind of disc driving range bag that I can take to the field and throw the same disc over and over again instead of switching them all the time. Is this counter productive? What disc would you recommend? And is there anyway to buy decent used discs online in bulk or something? I don't really care about ink or anything like that, I just want some "range discs".

I would recommend the build your own value pack at GGGT. You can get 5dx discs pretty cheap that way. Last year Marshall street had a sale where they put all of the Pro D plastic on sale for 5 dollars each. Not sure if they will do that again anytime soon, but it was also a good deal.

As far as which disc to get I think a lot of people on here would recommend a slower fairway driver like a T bird or Eagle. They will be useful for practicing proper form and also when you move into faster drivers you can still keep them in the bag as a fairway driver.

Thanks for the quick reply, I just ordered 5 teebirds from GGGt. Thats kinda what I was looking for as far as a deal goes. Now I need to find someone to pick them up as I throw : )

JeffzeNub said:
So I am still fairly new to the sport, been spending a lot of time in a field near my house throwing discs. I have about 8 random discs, almost all of them I bought in a used bin from a local pro shop(5$ each). I bought most of them just so when I practiced I did not have to walk out and pick up 2 or 3 discs at a time. I have gotten a bit better and started realizing how the discs will perform, but with everything going through my mind at the time of the throw(keep it flat, pull it tight, stop the elbow...etc...) I hate having to try and change the angle of release for each disc, and my grip rarely feels the same.

Basically I want to have a kind of disc driving range bag that I can take to the field and throw the same disc over and over again instead of switching them all the time. Is this counter productive? What disc would you recommend? And is there anyway to buy decent used discs online in bulk or something? I don't really care about ink or anything like that, I just want some "range discs".

When I started out I bought identical stacks of putters, mids, understable, stable and overstable drivers: 10 of each. Same disc, same weight, just for the reason you mentioned. Starting out a player is so inconsistent there is no way to figure out how much a particular shot is caused by the variations of a disc or the motion of the thrower.

One of the mistakes I made was going to wide open fields to practice with my stacks. The field part was good because a mowed area saves time and lost discs. But a field with no trees at all doesn't force you to pick lines. Since lines didn't matter in an open field I spent most of my time trying for distance. A few trees is ideal. Every shot should be a conscious attempt to hit a specific line and trees make the success or failure of a line obvious.

Throwing far seems to be the goal of everybody when they start out. It should not be the goal, though. Distance will come naturally with practice and form. Throwing flat and balanced and smooth with a full follow through is a goal. Making a disc go flat and straight is a critical goal. Once a player can throw flat and straight, bending lines are minor adjustments.

A buddy of mine on Team Discraft has 30 disc boxes of mids and drivers he practices with. 30 shots in a row is more than I want or need. After 10 shots or so I am ready for a break, physically and mentally. If I am not focused I am just wasting time. And I only throw in a field if I can't find someone to play catch with.

There are a few lightpoles in the soccer fields that I have used occasionally, usually I line up next to one of the soccer goals and either try to throw an anhyzer or a hyzer and get it to go in the goal at the other end of the field, or at least stay in the "fairway" between the two. I have been trying to play just as much as I practice if not more, and I actually throw much more accurately when I have objects to avoid.

I completely agree that distance isnt everything, but my thought process is that if I can get my full form technique down, then that 314' shot won't mess with my head as much when I'm on the teebox thinking "I have to give this pretty much everything I have"(I did this yesterday and threw a complete hyzer when I meant to throw anhyzer and actually hit a car...oops : p) and then completely psyching myself out and "shanking" one. Basically once my mechanics are a little more stable I feel that one thing less to think about would be nice.

Latest posts