• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rattler, Putt'r, Polecat, Birdie..... a.k.a "the lid thread"

Woah, how did I miss this thread until now?

The Rattler is the most exciting thing to happen to my bag since the Roc. I've only had it in my bag for about 15 rounds and its really helped my game from about 150 and in.

I've canned two or three huge upshot/putts(60-70 footers). Now I know from 60' out - most pros are running a putter at the basket from like a jump putt stance. But for me, I'm just trying to park the disc under the basket - or maybe have a run at it without trying to fly too far past it and leave myself a long come-back.

But with a Rattler, I can run at the basket and know its going to just sit down within 10 or 15 feet even if I miss it. Upon rereading this, I'm basically just rehashing everything that Mark Ellis said in his "long putts" clinic. :lol:

But its all so true, If you don't have the game to make 100' jump putts without leaving yourself long come-backs most of the time. You should really give the Rattler a try, because once you learn how to snap it properly - you will be two-putting every time, and every couple rounds you're going to bang a big one and it just feels Oh so sweet 8)

Frank Delicious said:
Trey133 said:
Premie Polecat = one of the best catch discs out there

You saying you have a champ polecat? I would love to give that a toss some time.
No, I think he's talking about Premium Polecats which is another name for EDGE Polecats; they weigh like 120 grams. I like them for really low ceiling shots up to 100' because I've never seen another disc retain it's height as well.

They make Premium Rocs, too. They get down to 110 grams I think?

As a side note, they make Champ Polecats and I want one soooooo bad!

I LOVE me some Ultra-Star action. I've been in love with lids since I first laid my hands on a disc at age 2 to 4 or something like that. I had a Wham-O MaxFlight years ago which I've since lost, I really want a new one. It was very falsely advertised over here and didn't live up to the promises, but I remember it being magnificent for long range catch and would love to have one now that I can throw somewhat properly. Also going to order a few original Wham-O frisbees (no idea what mold though) and some pluto platters this summer, just for laughs. Throwing these things is for reasons unknown much more satisfying than throwing my golf discs.

I would get some golf lids but I'm trying really hard to cut down on buying plastic that will never go into my bag. Really hope that Discmania would come up with something appropriate (they do have an Ultimate lid, but it's just a restamped Innova one and not really worth getting if you have others imho).

marmoset said:
I need to try that Wham-O heavyweight 200 gram Ultrastar lookin' thingy; that thing looks boss.

I was curious on that one as well for my Super Class bag but:

Discovering The World said:
The heaviest Frisbee® disc out there. Each Heavyweight disc is individually weighed and guaranteed to be over 200 grams.

which would put it overweight for SC. You can get DX Superheroes at 195ish grams which I can't imagine are all that different. They don't have the fun sumo stamp on them though.

are you guys talking about the Whamo lid with the sumo wrestler stamp? if so I have one and it's not that cool. it's not that much more stable than a regular ultra-star. also whamo plastic is equivalent to crayon wax. Zephyr > "Sumo". but then again I'm not that great with a lid :mrgreen:

Dag said:
...which would put it overweight for SC.
I don't do tourneys. PDGA has no bearing on me. This is something for all you other guys to take note of.
Thanks for posting this, I didn't know it. I just assumed it weighed 200 grams.

If you want a more overstable Ultrastar, I think I found one.
I was throwing one of these and I could not get it to flip regardless of how hard I threw it (with clean form)
Hopefully I wasn't throwing a freak because I'm going to buy one for myself.
0003218781101_500X500.jpg

keltik said:
are you guys talking about the Whamo lid with the sumo wrestler stamp? if so I have one and it's not that cool. it's not that much more stable than a regular ultra-star. also whamo plastic is equivalent to crayon wax. Zephyr > "Sumo". but then again I'm not that great with a lid :mrgreen:

This is all true. I bought one of those Sumos for beach frisbee and was not that happy with it.

Apart from fastbacks and Ultimate/S.C.-lids, which of the smaller lids would you use for shots within 200 ft from the basket? (let's say... a fairly open shot in calm wind or no wind)

Anyone know if the Aerobie Superdisc or Superdisc Ultra are legal for Super Class? I haven't any success with Google.

Jsw said:
Woah, how did I miss this thread until now?

The Rattler is the most exciting thing to happen to my bag since the Roc. I've only had it in my bag for about 15 rounds and its really helped my game from about 150 and in.

I've canned two or three huge upshot/putts(60-70 footers). Now I know from 60' out - most pros are running a putter at the basket from like a jump putt stance. But for me, I'm just trying to park the disc under the basket - or maybe have a run at it without trying to fly too far past it and leave myself a long come-back.

But with a Rattler, I can run at the basket and know its going to just sit down within 10 or 15 feet even if I miss it. Upon rereading this, I'm basically just rehashing everything that Mark Ellis said in his "long putts" clinic. :lol:

But its all so true, If you don't have the game to make 100' jump putts without leaving yourself long come-backs most of the time. You should really give the Rattler a try, because once you learn how to snap it properly - you will be two-putting every time, and every couple rounds you're going to bang a big one and it just feels Oh so sweet 8)

I saw the "long putt clinic" by Mr Rattler, M.Ellis, a while ago. I would like to try a Rattler but think the sharp under-side of the rim will cause bad or uncomfortable releases. That's why I went with Putt'r instead. It has a much wider under-side. Unfortunately it gets squirrelly quite soon. I haven't found "my" lid yet and it bothers me.

jubuttib said:
Anyone know if the Aerobie Superdisc or Superdisc Ultra are legal for Super Class? I haven't any success with Google.

Those look like fun though I've not seen one first hand. Neither one is PDGA approved and the Ultra likely exceeds the maximum disc diameter of 30 cm.

The list of approved Super Class discs can be found here.

marmoset said:
Spike said:
Putt'r...Unfortunately it gets squirrelly quite soon.
They make Z Putt'rs.
Slow speed + thick rim + super blunt nose + designed for finesse shots + Z plastic= indestructable
I think they have been taken out of production, but I've seen them at stores, so I might grab some before they're gone.

My home course is very short so i decided to buy a Birdie today. I tested it and it was perfect on approach shots.
I was surprised how stable it was. Now it is in the bag.

Spike said:
marmoset said:
Spike said:
Putt'r...Unfortunately it gets squirrelly quite soon.
They make Z Putt'rs.
Slow speed + thick rim + super blunt nose + designed for finesse shots + Z plastic= indestructable
I think they have been taken out of production, but I've seen them at stores, so I might grab some before they're gone.
Yeah, I know they're OOP. I usually avoid OOPs like the plague but the Putt'r is a different animal. It won't go too far so you should rarely lose sight of it and in Z plastic it should last forever. This is one OOP I'd actually consider carrying.

Same here, there are discs that I really like, but don't get because of OOP. Z Storm is one of them. But as you say, it's a different thing with such a slow disc as Putt'r, it won't get out of sight.

Hurricane said:
My home course is very short so i decided to buy a Birdie today. I tested it and it was perfect on approach shots.
I was surprised how stable it was. Now it is in the bag.

I've realized the same stability-thing, but with other lid-rimmed discs (even with huge S.C lids like Super Nova). Many of these are much more stable than I thought, and have come to the very subjective conclusion that people tend to mix up stability with wind sensitivity. A Super Nova is very wind sensitive. But that's not so much a stability issue as it is a sail-effect. Even Drones can get some unwanted airtime if you throw them too high in the winds. I used to putt with overstable discs in the winds because I thought it was the best, but discovered that my grip-line Spikes was just as good - low profile and definitely stable enough to stand against headwinds at putts. It's when you rip it hard at drives that it will turn, not so much during putts. So, I'm not surprised that you found the Birdie to be stable at approach shots, and it might not be all that bad in winds either.

Latest posts