• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rattler, Putt'r, Polecat, Birdie..... a.k.a "the lid thread"

Ok, thanks Mark! I'll probably try to remove the stamp entirely.

About the warping I was actually pleased to see that I haven't yet warped the top, despite the fact that I usually manage to warp everything I buy in D or Dx. But if the warping is good then I look forward to it! :D

That is not primo plastic judging by the product code it's DX. I think I read earlier in this thread that your reply to a question of what is the best premium plastic lid was the Gopher. I'm not interested in OOP discs that break fast however well they fly. If I'm getting one for regular use in DG rounds. I'm not using lids much anyway and usually make do with regular putters. So well that I don't carry lids in my regular setup. I'm thinking of giving a Whitler another go in practice for elevators and avoiding steep drops behind the basket while running it plus putting as I'm healing ever so slowly. I still think it's risky for me to try to grip such a large disc but one never knows without trying every once in a while.

Hey Mark Ellis- a while ago you posted this:
Every Rattler made in the last couple years is a Rubber Rattler but the each color is purposely tweaked to make the discs harder or softer. The hardness of the disc matters more to the feel of it than the flight. The harder ones are more domey and slippery. The softer ones are flatter and more grippy. You can probably tell by that description that I strongly prefer the softer ones. In the current run the Blue ones are superb.
Does Discraft do this for any other disc than the Rattler?
Is it feasible to do this with a midrange/driver or with a hotter seller like the Buzzzes?

So I bought a Rattler but can't figure out how to throw this damn thing. Any tips on grip, posture, etc?

marmoset said:
Hey Mark Ellis- a while ago you posted this:
Every Rattler made in the last couple years is a Rubber Rattler but the each color is purposely tweaked to make the discs harder or softer. The hardness of the disc matters more to the feel of it than the flight. The harder ones are more domey and slippery. The softer ones are flatter and more grippy. You can probably tell by that description that I strongly prefer the softer ones. In the current run the Blue ones are superb.
Does Discraft do this for any other disc than the Rattler?
Is it feasible to do this with a midrange/driver or with a hotter seller like the Buzzzes?

Yes, they do, including the Buzzz. Disc runs are purposely tweaked. They are tweaked during runs if they aren't molding they way they are intended or just to make different characteristics. Not everyone likes their discs the same. Some like them softer or flatter or tackier or whatever. Molding a disc is part science, part art and part voodoo.

Every run of every disc is a little or a lot different from prior runs. The differences may be so small we can't notice them or obvious just by looking at them.

Hankman said:
So I bought a Rattler but can't figure out how to throw this damn thing. Any tips on grip, posture, etc?

A touch disc requires....touch. The way to learn touch is to play with your Rattler until you can control it. Eventually you will control it better than anything else. It is not a pick axe. It is a scalpel. You don't force it. You persuade it.

Start by holding the disc lightly in your hand, not the death grip you use for maximum distance. Swing your arm slowly and smoothly. Throw it flat. Absolutely flat.

If you would like to see what it looks like, check out the youtube video, The Fastest Way To Improve.

I enjoy reading Mark Ellis like I enjoy reading PJ O'Rourke...its just funny to me...In a good way

You need to start like you're holding a newborn and move slowly and deliberately without sudden motions. Once you get accurate and repeatable with that try to snap the disc in the last 20 cm of the throw. I've gotten a Rattler to about 75 meters on flat ground without wind. It doesn't fare well in the winds.

Mark Ellis said:
(...)If you would like to see what it looks like, check out the youtube video, The Fastest Way To Improve (...)
That's a good video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEwqQ21pe4U

Tossin' in Memphis said:
uNicedmeMan said:
Frank Delicious said:
I've got an extra whitler I would trade, I really don't need two.

I haz three. You never know when you'll need a quiver of whitlers.

fave line of the day.....

Mine too even if I am late to the party. I have a Whitler that I won at a tournament. I opened my bag of discs that I had just won and pulled out the whitler and just happened to be standing beside its namesake, Glen Whitlock. He was excited because it had a stamp that he hadn't seen in a while. I will have to ask how many whitlers he keeps in his quiver. I haven't actually played with him, but he is apparently magical with this disc.

Coldpunk said:
Whitlers are the most fun golf disc to play catch with.

I disagree, my 100g challenger is way more fun to play catch with.

For the thread title Challenger is not much more of a lid than my 105 Wizard which too is a nice catch disc and I'd put that against the Challenger flight wise any time. Being lower and sharper it's not as nice to catch but it is soft being S plastic at such a low weight having a delicate thin flight plate to compensate.

I agree they aren't much of lids. Premi Wiz are really nice, just weren't as easy to come by when I got my challenger. I have a few whitlers left, but they haven't been in the bag in a while. The courses I tend to play don't have heavily wooded greens, and that is the only time I tend to use them.

Latest posts