• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] RDG Gila: Overstable Mid

Very exciting news!

Yesterday DaveMac finished our most recent run of Gila!

We have not produced these in several years so we were due for a fresh batch.

This Go Round I asked for a soft premium plastic with a smooth, mild dome. After years of testing FLAT vs mild dome Gilas, I prefer the flight of the mild dome.

DaveMac KILLED it. These truly feel like a Color Glow Sanny Sentinel...

Fast, OS but still have great glide and line holding ability. Already my favorite Gila in the bag and that's after one round. These will season in incredibly well.

OH and he ran us some softer baseline as well so folks can have a winter friendly baseline Gila!

Attachments

• 20221105_080512.jpg
    20221105_080512.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 43
Two Gilas showed up on my doorstep today!

It's very snowy here today, about 20 degrees F, you can't really plant your feet.

But I was so curious I had to throw them each three times. Both at 175g according to marker, one armor one amber.

My initial reaction was that it was wayyyy less overstable than I expected. It sorta covered a lot of ground wings level before it clicked into fade mode.

I'd contrast it with a Solstice by saying the Solstice has more tendency to dump at high speed, but the Gila has a sort of dual profile--scoot and then fade. This is just initial reaction from expecting a Quake/Solstice type hard fade from the gun.

It will be interesting to mess with it when it warms up and I can power it up.

If it could poke past Solstice and Pyro (both as OS as you would want for daily work) with that initial level glide, but have that same sort of inexorable finish that leaves no doubt when you reach in the bag...I'll bag it.

Excited to see how I feel about it after more testing.

I see Quake comparisons for the Gila, but I have no frame of reference. How does the Gila compare with a Legacy Pursuit? That's a language I can understand!

I see Quake comparisons for the Gila, but I have no frame of reference. How does the Gila compare with a Legacy Pursuit? That's a language I can understand!

The Gila isn't a utility mid by any means. I haven't thrown a Pursuit but it seems like a stretched out Zone. Gila is more in like of a Verdict, Roc3 or Hornet.

It's an every hole thrower for me on a lot of occasions.

To me it can push out to 350 ft a strong amount of Glide but it always finishes with a fade. Very similar to a beefy Teebird flight IMO. It combines reliability with usability.

I have always said that this mold is a Professional Caliber mid. It's better than a Verdict, better than a Hornet and superior to the Roc3.

I hope I have never come across as arrogant or boastful, but I'm ready to commit to pushing the Gila hard as a major player in the mid range world. It's that good. And I'm not ashamed to say so lol.

OH and then Iguana sharing the same bottom and core as the Gila while providing a much straighter flight... And you have a DG powered mid duo that best most manufacturers offerings.

Thanks as always for the support!!!

Two Gilas showed up on my doorstep today!

It's very snowy here today, about 20 degrees F, you can't really plant your feet.

But I was so curious I had to throw them each three times. Both at 175g according to marker, one armor one amber.

My initial reaction was that it was wayyyy less overstable than I expected. It sorta covered a lot of ground wings level before it clicked into fade mode.

I'd contrast it with a Solstice by saying the Solstice has more tendency to dump at high speed, but the Gila has a sort of dual profile--scoot and then fade. This is just initial reaction from expecting a Quake/Solstice type hard fade from the gun.

It will be interesting to mess with it when it warms up and I can power it up.

If it could poke past Solstice and Pyro (both as OS as you would want for daily work) with that initial level glide, but have that same sort of inexorable finish that leaves no doubt when you reach in the bag...I'll bag it.

Excited to see how I feel about it after more testing.

Thanks for giving it a try!! I hope the Gila earns not a only a spot in the bag, but also attains "Most Thrown Disc" like mine does.

Another thing that works amazingly well with the Gila is force flex lines. It'll glide through a forced anny for a really useful amount of time before it pulls to flat. Fantastic for carving lines in the woods.

Report back when you've had some more time to test. I appreciate the support!

My favorite thing about the Gila is it never gets flippy no matter how thrashed it gets, it just seems to lose some fade.

I have a fossil that I've just straight abused. It's had chunks taken out by sharp rocks, it's been used on ship shots off pavement. Overall looks like death, still throws like a dream.

Gilas remind me of Bards: nose angle adjusts the dumpiness of the fade, a master of the baby anny that pushes straight before fading, can fight to flat from a deeper anhyzer but not utility overstable.
Beat they just lose fade and some HSS but never any risk of turning over from a hyzer release, although you may see some stand-to-flat.
Oh, and releases surprisingly clean on a FH considering the bead
Very good mold.

Gilas remind me of Bards: nose angle adjusts the dumpiness of the fade, a master of the baby anny that pushes straight before fading, can fight to flat from a deeper anhyzer but not utility overstable.
Beat they just lose fade and some HSS but never any risk of turning over from a hyzer release, although you may see some stand-to-flat.
Oh, and releases surprisingly clean on a FH considering the bead
Very good mold.

I LOVE Bards. I would 100% be bagging them if I didn't create the Gila. I do prefer the Gila's shape bc of the bigger bead and less chunky grip.

My favorite thing about the Gila is it never gets flippy no matter how thrashed it gets, it just seems to lose some fade.

I have a fossil that I've just straight abused. It's had chunks taken out by sharp rocks, it's been used on ship shots off pavement. Overall looks like death, still throws like a dream.

I have some thrashed fossils. I love em. I can throw them at any power and trust they will hold the line I put em on a long time but still fade a little. Best cycling mind I have tried for sure.

Our new runs of Gilas are available now! We have Tar Pit, Amber and GLOW!!!

https://reptiliandiscgolf.com/collections/gila/products/amber-gila-circle-stamp

As always.... Promo Code DGCR is live for 15% off

...annnnd I spent to much on discs again. Tar pit gila? That's a surprise.

I LOVE Bards. I would 100% be bagging them if I didn't create the Gila. I do prefer the Gila's shape bc of the bigger bead and less chunky grip.

Bards are pretty good, preferred the in pain when I was sampling those. I like the Gila forehand way more than either. FH as comfy as a verdict while being that comfortable beaded mid I want for backhand.

The Gila isn't a utility mid by any means. I haven't thrown a Pursuit but it seems like a stretched out Zone. Gila is more in like of a Verdict, Roc3 or Hornet.

It's an every hole thrower for me on a lot of occasions.

To me it can push out to 350 ft a strong amount of Glide but it always finishes with a fade. Very similar to a beefy Teebird flight IMO. It combines reliability with usability.

I have always said that this mold is a Professional Caliber mid. It's better than a Verdict, better than a Hornet and superior to the Roc3.

I hope I have never come across as arrogant or boastful, but I'm ready to commit to pushing the Gila hard as a major player in the mid range world. It's that good. And I'm not ashamed to say so lol.

OH and then Iguana sharing the same bottom and core as the Gila while providing a much straighter flight... And you have a DG powered mid duo that best most manufacturers offerings.

Thanks as always for the support!!!

Sold! Just gotta browse for a rim profile as a final check and I'ma snag one or two

Our new runs of Gilas are available now! We have Tar Pit, Amber and GLOW!!!

https://reptiliandiscgolf.com/collections/gila/products/amber-gila-circle-stamp

As always.... Promo Code DGCR is live for 15% off

Is the Circle Stamp the new run? The Biter Stamp is an older run? Difference between the two? Looks like I missed out on Circle Stamps unless I get one below a weight I'd like...

How durable is the Glow? Can't tell if it's a premium glow or a base glow...

Is the Circle Stamp the new run? The Biter Stamp is an older run? Difference between the two? Looks like I missed out on Circle Stamps unless I get one below a weight I'd like...

Both runs are the new batch.

These didn't really get up to the 176-180 range due to the weight of the plastic.

I was throwing a 172g into a headwind yesterday and it held up beautifully. Don't be scared of throwing them lighter than you normally would. They're fantastic performing mids in the 172-174 range as well.

OH and the glow is baseline. I'll correct that on the site.

I love to see it! I hope you click with them. I have a feeling you'll really dig the Gila & Scale.

Carnivore is so boring... And so reliable.

Stego is just dumb... And so reliable.

I own a base Baobab and have been meaning to get one in Alpine. Also been meaning to try out a Stego for years. I think I just killed two birds with one stone!

We shot a nice little video capturing these new runs of Gilas flying.

I love how well they fly from a broad range of distances. You'll see some 200 ft shots all the way up to a 350 ft shot. Always holding the release angle and finishing with a fade.

https://youtu.be/DJ7QM2VlMe0
Wait...this run has some dome? :eek:

Why do you keep doing this to my wallet? :|