• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Really Needing Some Form Help

jshryer1

I've been disc golfing for about a year and a half now and have developed what I thought was a solid form. I can get a destroyer 350' pretty consistently and am accurate with most of my shots (primarily RHBH). However, I have recently been feeling a pain in my lower back each time I throw and have therefore decided to check my form. I watched some videos of McBeth and some other pros driving and discovered a few things.

The most obvious thing that saw in the videos is that all of the pros seem to throw with almost all of their weight on their front foot. This allows their bodies to rotate easier and take the strain off of their backs. I looked at a video of my form that I took a few months ago and saw that my hips trigger and shoulders rotate fine, but my back foot drags along the ground and doesn't allow my hips to fully rotate out of the throw. I feel that this is putting a lot of strain on my lower back and is the source of my problem.

I went down to the course with this in mind and played a round. It was almost freezing temperature outside so I knew my performance wouldn't be great from the beginning but hoped I could still get some work in. I tried to focus on transferring my weight to my front foot while throwing and allowing the momentum to spin my body but I ran into some troubles. First it just felt awkward. It felt like I was off balance, my back leg spinning around wildly. I was also having problems releasing lower than I wanted, which I believe is because I am used to throwing while standing straight up instead of being bent over. However, I did not have the back pain that I had been having so I was encouraged.

I'm going to keep working on the new form, hoping it will start feeling more natural. I started this thread in hopes of getting some pointers on exactly how the weight transfer works and how I can make it feel more natural. Any other help is definitely welcome. I can also upload some videos in a couple of days if necessary.

Thanks!

Last edited:
The best thing you can do in order for us to help you is to record a video and post it on youtube.

If you can get the angle to be from the side as well as from directly behind with a few different throws then it is much easier to accurately break down what you need to improve on. Until then we are pretty much just throwing lawn darts at technique ideas.

The best thing you can do in order for us to help you is to record a video and post it on youtube.

If you can get the angle to be from the side as well as from directly behind with a few different throws then it is much easier to accurately break down what you need to improve on. Until then we are pretty much just throwing lawn darts at technique ideas.

For sure. I should be on the course tomorrow so I was planning on shooting some videos to upload. Thanks!

Look forward to helping and I know many others on here can only do the same with a video. Don't try too hard or anything special just get some shots recorded which can be broken down-- even different power levels or angles/lines might be good too if you can edit in what is being thrown. It helps a little if in the shots from behind being able to see how the disc flies but most important is capturing your run up and mechanics.

Look forward to helping and I know many others on here can only do the same with a video. Don't try too hard or anything special just get some shots recorded which can be broken down-- even different power levels or angles/lines might be good too if you can edit in what is being thrown. It helps a little if in the shots from behind being able to see how the disc flies but most important is capturing your run up and mechanics.

video is up but I had to post a new thread, here's the link http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2661492#post2661492