• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Recommend a straight then fade mid...

Qstick333

Birdie Member
I don't have any brand loyalty :)

I carry a beaten in X comet and a Z comet for the vast majority of my mid shots. they go straight, they turnover, they hold a hyzer, etc... They are horrible in a headwind and they are don't fade at all.

For me, this is a shot that, on a non-windy day, I use 1 or 2 times per round I haven't paid much attention to it. I've been using a DX shark since I had one in the garage and it has been fine. It isn't the best wind disc, but thrown into the wind it stays straight. The fade isn't extreme on a calm day, but it is predictable and I know what is going to happen.

The problem is that the Shark is only available in DX plastic and between the trees, the ground and fieldwork, they don't seem to last that long before the characteristics start to change.

So - I need a headwind mid that also goes out straight and fades left (rhbh). I also need it to be available in a plastic that can take some abuse and still hold the same flight. eg champion, Z, etc.. I just want to buy it, have it and forget about it.

I'm not really in a financial position to buy a bunch of discs and try them all out. I'd at least like to narrow the field down a bit and see what I can find on the marketplace or perhaps make a trade, etc....

Thanks for the help!

You could go any number of ways here. I personally throw an ESP FLX Drone, which is great. It will fly straight and true for a short distance and then fade hard. The Z Hornet is also good for this and it has more glide than the Drone and is a bit less overstable, so it will fly further before fading.

Champion Gator is a popular Innova OS mid. I was just talking in another thread to someone about an MVP Tensor, which should be good as well. Really, you can't go wrong with any of the well known, well used discs out there. Have some!

That all depends on how overstable finish you would like. For straight then fade at the same distance as your comets without having to crank the **** out of it i´d suggest the Wasp. The Hornet and the Drone are both a lot more and 100X more overstable.

If you want a straight-to-fade disc in Z/Champion plastic that feels like a comet, the only correct options for you are a Z Wasp or a Champion Roc3. If possible, you should go to a local store and feel both discs, then pick the one that feels best to you.

Ok, you want a sure fire slightly overstable mid, in durable plastic, and you want to do so without spending/trying a bunch of stuff to fill this simple need.

There are many good answers, but in my experience the MVP Vector is the best. It has a perfect straight to fade flight and it is slightly faster than Rocs/Wasps/Pain etc which helps in the wind. I can say from experience that premium Rocs/Wasps have not been consistent in stability over the years. You can buy two online at the same time and get one that fades very early and another than doesn't fade at all. Buy any Vector and you are pretty much guaranteed straight to fade goodness for years.

Sharks do come in champ: just get a Shark3 if you want a similar feel and a beefy Shark flight.

The Roc is a great mid too of course, and a max weight Z Buzzz should work for you too (that's my pairing with the Comet).

Champ Roc3 or KC Pro Roc. Straight, then they fade.

You can get that Shark in Gstar now though, if you're so inclined.