• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Recommend me an approach disc (straight/slight anny shots)

jubuttib said:
Having had to use this shot very often today I have to say it again: The FR ION is the best single disc for this shot, ever. (Deflashed)
I ordered a Medium Ion, should get it soon. But it's not FR, what's the difference between a FR and a normal one? Any idea how to get one here in Finland jubuttib?

Hankman said:
I ordered a Medium Ion, should get it soon. But it's not FR, what's the difference between a FR and a normal one? Any idea how to get one here in Finland jubuttib?
No way that I know of. I ordered two from Marshall Street (still available http://www.marshallstreetdiscgolf.com/product/ST-19206/MVP-Soft-Ion/). The First Run Softs are recognizable by the fact that they're the only IONs in the 165 weight range and with an orange overmold.

The differences? Being the first run they're not totally polished, and the bead is about half hidden, and smaller than in the later runs. They also tend to have (at least both of mine did) a HUGE, soft, pliable flashing. Kinda felt like the edge of a windshield wiper blade. Anyway, remove that and they're the most understable IONs available, but still very consistent and ION like. Carry is way above the later runs (due to the weight). It will hold very small anhyzers at very low powers (making it my favorite touch shot disc), turns reliably, predictably and controllably when powered (actually turns quite a lot). Seemed very good for turnover drives (though I haven't tried a lot of these).

Basically, every time I throw it I like it better.

NOTE: I'm very fond of understable, touchey discs. It's not a disc you force, it's a disc you persuade. If you want a straight flyer at a wide range of speeds, the normal ION is better. I prefer throwing a sub-200' anny line flat and let the disc work it out.

Hydra is a fairly stable mid/putter that I used for anhyzer approaches and putts, right to left anhyzers and straight putts.

Step 1: Get a wizard
Step 2: Have a douche run it over with his blue mini-van (non-douches in other forms of transportation have not been tested and results can not be guaranteed)
Step 3: ...
Step 4: World champion

An Aviar, Wizard, or Ion would do what you're asking, but your Supersoft Omega should too.

You didn't actually say what the problem was. Are you coming up short? Throwing too long? Can't "range" the shots so you're always either short OR long? Not turning the disc or is it hyzering out early?

You may like a different putter more than the one you're using, but I don't think any of them will solve your problem. 100-150ft. is a tricky range, especially when obstructed. I think you need to practice these shots more.

Without more info, it'll be tough for anyone to help - in the meantime I offer you this:
1) Throwing a putter down a short line (from a standstill, like you're describing) is all about weight forward + acceleration
2) you don't need any fingers actually pressed against the rim for most of the distance you described. You should be able to increase pressure on the edge of the rim with the side of your index finger's knuckle if necessary. This will help if you're overthrowing these shots or torquing them over too hard.

Get a understable and a overstable putter. Use them within 200 feet.

i use a pure ( zero plastic ) as understable and a aviar-k pro as overstable.

mzuleger said:
Step 2: Have a douche run it over with his blue mini-van (non-douches in other forms of transportation have not been tested and results can not be guaranteed)

One of the Wizards in my bag got run over a couple of years ago when I was practicing out in a field. It flips very nice now, and it's only 3 years old!

Timko said:
mzuleger said:

One of the Wizards in my bag got run over a couple of years ago when I was practicing out in a field. It flips very nice now, and it's only 3 years old!

Was it run over by a tractor?

According to discgolfsweden.se, the Wizard only has a depth of 1.2 cm, but that must be wrong

1.1cm depth
Aerobie Arrow- not a traditional style putter; it has odd flights IMO
DGA Blunt "Blowfly"- can be really floppy; a few people really love this disc but most golfers just don't "get it."
Innova Aviar XD- solid choice. It is a modified Aviar... XD stands for extra distance

1.2cm depth
Discraft Ringer- never thrown it
Innova Classic Roc- in between a putter and a midrange; not a bad choice
Vibram Summit- never thrown it but from what I understand it might be a solid choice for you

1.3cm depth
Discraft Zone- probably too overstable for what you want
Innova Aero- solid choice
Innova Rhyno- great disc but not what you ar elooking for 'cuz it will be too overstable
Latitude 64 Spike- probably too overstable; never thrown one.

1.4cm depth
DGA Reef- same mold as Discraft APX
Discraft APX- the disc I would recommend for you; solid choice
Discraft Magnet- another great option but it feels deeper than the numbers suggest
Innova Dart- great choice
Innova Hydra- probably too beefy for your requirements
Innova Mako- another putter/mid but biased more towards midrange; good disc but might not be the best choice unless you get a lighter weight.
Innova Pig- toooooo overstable
Latitude 64 Pure- another candidate in the "solid choice" category
Latitude 64 Sinus AP- flies similar to your Omega
Latitude 64 Sinus SP- flies similar to your Omega
Quest AT Crossfire- never thrown it
Wham-O 86 Mold- never thrown it but I understand it to be a finessey kind of putter

After looking at the discs that are shallower than the Omega I would have to say the APX/Reef is my recommendation for the shot you want. The Gateway Magic is similar to the APX. The Magic is the same depth as the Omega but feels shallower to me because it does not have a bead. So if you are keen on trying out some new plastic then I would add the Magic to the APX/Reef recommendations. The P&A Aviar is also a good disc that doesn't feel as deep even though it is listed as being the same depth.

There are pros and cons to any of the 4 options I outlined. Choosing the right option for you involves recognizing your priorities and matching those to one of the options above.
If you are getting serious about disc golf and you are competing in/thinking about competing in tournaments then I would strongly suggest option #1.
Feel free to ask for more info.

Latest posts