• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Recording Putts... how far back is a "putt"

becherjmike

Par Member
I'd like to start keeping track of how many putts are adding strokes to my total score. How far back from the basket would you consider "putting distance?" Is it determined by the skill level of the player (I'm novice), or a standard distance across the board?

If you're the one doing it, then you should be able to determine when your putting, going for long run at the basket, or trying to lay up under the basket.

Whatever distance you feel like you should make. 60 and in I am counting.

I count a putt as a throwing stance, and the purpose of the disc going in the basket, and not laying up. I've laid up from 40 feet, so it's not a putt. Or I've putted from 70. It all depends on the purpose of the throw.

I would actually define it based on the throwing motion.

I would say 30ft and in putts are must have's and everything else is a bonus.

Some outside of 30ft could technically still be called a putt,but for me when I go out of my putting stance it is no longer a putt. It's either a short upshot 45ft to 60ft or a long upshot 60ft+.

As long as I'm in a putting stance I count it. If I'm 20 feet away but stuck in some shule and all I can do is pitch out and have no shot at the basket I don't count that as a putt. But on the contrary, if I'm 50 feet away, down a hill, and I line up in my putting stance and fire away I would classify it as a putt.

If you're the one doing it, then you should be able to determine when your putting, going for long run at the basket, or trying to lay up under the basket.

I agree with this. If you are 15ft from a basket but because of trees or thick bushes your only shot is to try and lay it under the basket I would not count that as a putt. Since you are the one that is going to be looking at your scores I would go with however you feel they should be recorded.

Sounds good guys. I think going with the "if I'm in my putting stance" rule is the way I'll go. Makes sense and will give me the data I'm looking for to evaluate. Mucho gracias!!

I'd like to start keeping track of how many putts are adding strokes to my total score.

For this purpose, the simple answer is the distance from which you should make every one.

Otherwise, if you're counting all missed putts within one of the ranges suggested on this thread, the answer you're getting is to the question, "How many strokes am I adding to my total score by not being a perfect putter." How useful is that?

Another way to go about it is, say, count every missed putt from 25' in, half the missed putts from 25'-35', and then subtract the made putts from over 35'. Adjust distances as you see fit, but this gives a better idea of how putting is affecting your score.

I record putts as any shot on the green. If I am outside of it, its not a put. Conversely, I do record "putts" with obstacles in the way if they are on the green.

Yea, but what is your "green?" 10 meters?

We don't really have true greens in disc golf.

Yea, but what is your "green?" 10 meters?

We don't really have true greens in disc golf.

the rules define it as 10 meters as I recall. So that's what I use. I roughly pace it off.

Yep, it's 10 meters. I was just wondering if that's what you meant by "green."

From PDGA:

Putt
Any throw from 10 meters or less as measured from the rear of the marker disc to the base of the target.

So, the "circle" is 20 meters in diameter, with the pole being the center, and anywhere within the 10 meter radius is a putt.

Last edited:
How's this: if your reach-back puts the disc further away from the basket than your waist, it's not a putt.

I don't know… wouldn't some forehands qualify as putts then despite definitely not being putts? You can flick them pretty far with a minimal amount of travel.

Latest posts