• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Regaining distance at altitude?

Chiefstang

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I just moved to Colorado from NY, and have been battling the difference in disc flights in the thinner air. I don't have too much trouble until I get above 6,000 ft. or so.

As has been stated, they are more stable and have less glide, but I played a round at 10,000 ft. and it was just depressing. It looked like I was hyzering grandma's fine china around the mountain. Even my more understable discs fought left, and they all fell like bricks.

Short of changing to lighter/less stable discs, what should I be working on form-wise to compensate?

Should I be focusing on snap, arm speed, or some other intangible that I'm not thinking of?

This is an issue that I struggle with also. I replace most of my super stable discs with ones that I normally flip over at sea level. As for form, try putting more of an anhyzer when releasing. Snap always helps to a point. I don't think there is one golden answer to fix the problem.

Next time I play up at 10,000 I know I am going to stock the bag with glides, breezes and statuses. Practice and field work will give you a better idea of what works, might feel like you are taking a couple of steps backwards but will help that "china throwing" feeling. I'm used to throwing @ over 6,000, I struggle at lower altitudes thinking nothing I throw is going to come back around.

The best high-altitude advice I got was from the King (of the lake) who suggested pulling any 150-class discs out of my trunk to huck when the air gets thin. 150-slightly-beat-dx-wraith=$$$$$$$$$ when you're over a mile high.

I played Skyhigh (7000') and Zephyr Cove (6200?) this summer and the only driver I could use (backhand) was my beat-in DX 150 valk. Everything else was just lame.

For throwing at altitude, use the same strategy as throwing in a tailwind, namely going with slower and more understable discs. When I was in CO for a time this summer, I was using my Comet to more effect than ever. Oh and discs with good glide (Comet again) are helpful as well. As for technique, try to release flatter for longish shots. HTH

The best high-altitude advice I got was from the King (of the lake) who suggested pulling any 150-class discs out of my trunk to huck when the air gets thin. 150-slightly-beat-dx-wraith=$$$$$$$$$ when you're over a mile high.

a mile = thin air? try throwing @ 2 miles high. 1 is still pretty reasonable, over 1.5 is when things start going sideways, 2 and things go backwards. ;)

I know a ton of people that still go with heavy weight, Overstable here, and I'm about 6500'? Guy was just complaining today that he'd lost his Boss.

I just moved to Colorado from NY, and have been battling the difference in disc flights in the thinner air. I don't have too much trouble until I get above 6,000 ft. or so.

As has been stated, they are more stable and have less glide, but I played a round at 10,000 ft. and it was just depressing. It looked like I was hyzering grandma's fine china around the mountain. Even my more understable discs fought left, and they all fell like bricks.

Short of changing to lighter/less stable discs, what should I be working on form-wise to compensate?

Should I be focusing on snap, arm speed, or some other intangible that I'm not thinking of?

I started my disc golf "career" in California, and then I moved back to Colorado and the altitude. I've noticed since I've been back that Colorado is much less forgiving on any throw nose-up. I know, it's preferable to throw flat always. However, I've found that by focusing on a smooth, nose-down release has helped my distance at the higher altitudes. The first thing I preach to those picking up the sport here in CO is "nose-down and let the disc glide more in this thin air."

I live at 4500 feet. I think you can still throw the same stuff, just lighter. I wouldn't throw 150, I try to stick to 160 discs usually around 163 if I can find them. My husband still throws heavier stuff, but I would agree that every thing is more likely to hyzer out. First time I went to lower elevation I was blown away at how easy it was to throw an anny.