• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Reid's Journey to Backhand Mastery

Ok got some more video yesterday, and let me not even waste the time to upload it. Same mistakes. Hips opening way too early is the biggest thing. Better bracing and later hit though. Will try and get more video today trying to keep my hips closed longer/turned back further during the throw.

I took a video yesterday of some low power approach field work I was doing. Bracing looks a ton better but I'm still planting with hips open. I'll upload tomorrow. But overall my shots feel a ton more accurate with a later turn back. Actually won my local ice bowl today and took home the #1 tag! My first ever win. Still lots of work to do. Probably need to hit the Hershyzer drill some more.

Looking better, just need to keep working on the drills and throwing. Get your door frame drill position to match up with the Hershyzer. Turning further back at the plant with more/all weight forward.

Looking better, just need to keep working on the drills and throwing. Get your door frame drill position to match up with the Hershyzer. Turning further back at the plant with more/all weight forward.
Thanks, I do feel my most powerful shots are the ones where I consciously turn back more but the balance seems a little harder to maintain sometimes.

Random question: My plant foot is pidgeon-toed, should I be planting my foot even more closed than usual so that my front hip can turn back further? I think even when my plant foot gets perpendicular to the target that my knee/hip is actually more open.

Hard to answer, you want to be able to catch yourself/momentum closed like you were to going jump back or forth.

Had some fantastic throwing today. I focused on staying back a little further longer in the shot (head over back toes longer) and keeping my left hip from opening too early. The result was much better bracing, better accuracy, and easier power. I tend to come over the top on my shot so keeping my posture centered, braced is challenging. I'm going to keep working on this and get some video soon hopefully.

I mean that you could draw a straight line going through both my shoulders and the target. It's only as you start your last stride when you turn your body back and then shoulders and hips snap back into place with hips initiating the movement back (and the hip clears) as the arm flies out across your chest toward the target. Look at Will Schusterick driving to see how his shoulders are pointed toward the target until the last step. It's also important to note he's bent at the hips in an athletic position and this helps immensely with balance.

You just made me realize how early I reach back. Watching you receive advice on your technique is improving mine. Thank you!

I've been really struggling with hugging myself and rounding recently. Even when consciously trying to get my elbow extended and far from my body, it just feels so unnatural.

I've been really struggling with hugging myself and rounding recently. Even when consciously trying to get my elbow extended and far from my body, it just feels so unnatural.

It may feel weird/powerless anti-hugging at first, and you should find the need to turn your body/shoulders a lot more for power.

So I've been working on a bunch of things on my throw, and I've arrived at a point where I think I need some additional direction/feedback on where to go from here. I've started to be able to get midranges out to 300-320 recently, which is nice, but I know I still have a lot of wonky things I need to correct. So here's two throws I recorded recently. To my eyes, I think my bracing looks better but I could still turn back further. I'm also still reaching back too early here. I still really struggle with opening the shoulders too early too.

So I did some more throwing today and was really able to keep my shoulder closed longer and I was having some fantastic throws. I didn't measure, but I practice at the particular location a lot and have some distances memorized. How does my bracing look in the video? I think it looks good except for need to turn further back. Paul would be proud of my full follow through.

Last edited:
Sorry, video privacy settings defaulted to private for some reason. They should be working now.

You want to land/plant with your whole body a little more backward("from behind you" Best Downswing Weighshift) with your butt facing the target, so you are dynamically upright with your closed foot. Your foot/plant and stride is pretty good, just not turning the rest of your body back enough with it, so you are torquing your leg by trying to shift "from in front you". Do some Door Frame Drills and let your butt/weight lead into the plant foot. Also keep your chin up over your shoulder/s. Your chin tucks into your chest which is not good posture and messes with things.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118948

The other thing is your upper arm is not staying wide enough so your elbow is not getting forward enough. You are letting your upper arm collapse/hug your chest too much. It will feel very weird(like there is no way you can get power - but you will) maintaining a wide arm/elbow forward, but if you turn the arm more with your shoulders/body/hips turning more it will go boom! Get a hammer or something heavy and swing it around you doing 360s in place, feel your arm get pulled out wide connected with your body turning, don't worry about bending the elbow, just do this as a drill with straight arm. Basically a one-handed olympic hammer throw BH but in disc golf the elbow acts like a hinge or cam to keep the swing straight-ish and keep the tension taut wide with less effort and the release width should still feel very wide. See Beto "Going from back here to up here adds anywhere from 60-100' or more" and Closed Shoulder Drill.

Yeah I thought overall my upper body was very sloppy but my lower was looking better than usual. I have been experimenting and focusing on keeping the arm out wider the last couple days and I've had some great results when I can keep my shoulder closed. Playing a 3 round B-tier this weekend, so time to have some fun and see how I can do.

Had some great throws today that felt very different. I was focusing on turning my hip more inward during the reachback and really crushing the can BEFORE my shoulders come forward. It felt like I had a ton more room to swing and I was throwing just about far as normal but more effortless. I still have a tendency to overturn the shoulders, but they felt timed a lot better.

Latest posts