• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Relearning my throw

DiscSniper

I'm just getting back into disc golf this year after about a 10 year hiatus from the game. Back when I played in high school, my buddy and I never learned how to throw correctly and were (what I now realize) as terrible. We're talking "drives" of maybe 175' to 200' average on a flat hole.

After I started playing again I discovered the forums and really started reading. I used to do really funky things with my feet, and at least I now know what an X-Step is. However, that doesn't mean I can execute a proper throw. I've been getting out to max of 280', but it was really hurting my arm. My timing is tremendously bad and I often end up shanking drives to the extreme right. Just two weeks ago, I met a gentlemen out on the practice field of the local school and he noticed me struggling with my drives(sky-high, nose ups mostly). Logan is a local player that is involved in leagues and what-not and was very nice and helpful. He got my grip fixed (not aligned in hand correctly, and gripping mostly with middle and ring fingers). He's had me throwing from either a stand still or with a single forward step (similar to the pec drills shown on youtube etc). I'm actually throwing much flatter this way and getting 1-step throws almost out to the distance I was getting before.

One thing I'm noticing is that I still have issues throwing a Leopard. I have a brand new 170gm DX Leo that does nothing but turn and burn. I'm sure I'm not overpowering the disc, so I must still have some form issues. Can anyone point out any possible foibles that would be causing this with a leo? I read that it the leo is a great beginner disc and to me that reads as should be forgiving of less than perfect form. Perhaps I'm mistaken...

To give you a further idea of my skill level, I'm throwing a River (by far the most consistent driver for me right now) about 260' max with a single step and no real reach-back. Any ideas? Thanks.

DX Leos are super-duper flippy, and after you break it in they flip even more. If your goal is to throw the it straight you going to need to throw it on a hyzer, and it will flip up to flat and go straight. But that disc, even on a hyzer it is prone to turning over. I eventually went to a champion leo because of this

DX Leo shouldn't be super flippy out of the box, but it gets that way VERY fast even if you don't hit trees. Always a chance you got a specimen that is super flippy.

I also have an ancient KC Cheetah that I throw and it doesn't flip like this Leo. It used to be one of my longer discs until I retired it. The damn thing has been ruined since I had it out on a round this summer that was over 100 deg. It actually got oily/sticky and I left thumbprints all over. It's never been the same since...

You more than likely have some OAT issues, probably from strong arming. Try to focus on getting your hips more into the throw and use less arm.

DX Leos do need some initial hyzer angle to flip to flat quite soon or if you got a lemon when new. A Champion or Star Leo would be slicker but not turn as much. Pro Leo is in between in flight and won't wear as quickly as the DX but it is grippy. Logan gave you good initial advice. Once you're happy with working with those pieces of information don't hesitate to add the x steps. I recommend trying it soon because you do have quite good distance for a one step throw with a Leo.

If it is your form that flips the Leo search this site for off axis torque or OAT and read my sig for leg placement.

It's definitely OAT that is burning my Leo. I took out a stack of putters the other day and was having some issues with even new stable Wizards turning over a bit. (Symptom of OAT, from what I've read) Been correcting my arm motion and now I'm really getting the Leo and other discs out there a bit further. I'm still getting the occasional turn and burn, but that's what practice is for, isn't it?

I just threw for a bit on the practice field this evening and felt pretty good about about my 1-step throws so I started adding the x-step. I'd say I cheesed about 50% of the throws with the x-step (nose ups, bad timing, etc), but the others got some decent distance (decent for me) out to 300'. I still need to continue to practice to get some muscle memory going so I can reliably hit these distances.

That is pretty normal result when trying the x steps. It takes a while and the best results come when you're relaxed and confident about not falling down. That kind of automation comes with repetition.

Ironed out another issue with my throw this week thanks to the forum.

I was reading another thread and various grip issues were being addressed. Finally figured out that I am putting a death grip on the disc from the very beginning of my throwing motion.

Pinching hard at the last moment is really helping me keep my arm loose and get more snap at the end of the motion.

Birdied several 400+ foot holes this weekend(an accomplishment for me).

Still not throwing with a run up. I really want my upper body motion to be locked down before I add the extra complications of the x step and run up.

Are you using the x step in the 400'ish throws? If not that is a great distance and you're gonna bomb once you add that successfully. A run up helps even more for raw D but it'll be a long while before you can pull it off accurately and consistently. There you'll soon run into the realization that your current 400'ish form is likely more accurate and consistent and only going for 450' birdies benefits from the added complication and accuracy and consistency losses of adding more speed. It sounds like you're making great progress. Cool!

I might have mis-spoke, those long holes are par 4's on the course I'm playing. Should have mentioned that. I'm throwing nowhere near 400' with a standstill throw. More like 260'

Latest posts