• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Removing sharpie from a disc.

theGryphon

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a way to remove sharpie from the back of a disc. I found a few discs and have tried to contact the numbers on the back. Some said they no longer play and too keep the disc while others have changed phone numbers and obviously can't be reached. I also have a disc or two that I don't want anymore. I would like to put these discs up for trade. Before I do that I would like to remove the sharpie writing on the back. If anyone has a suggestion let me know. Thanks.

Acetone. I've heard of people using things like lighter fluid and brake cleaner but nothing will work as good as 100% acetone.

DO NOT USE GOOF OFF. It ruins most plastics. 100% acetone is the way to go, but I don't know of anything that will completely take permanant marker off once it has set in.
I suggest dyeing over it - Rit dye. Set your name and number on the bottom with stick-on letters, fill the inside with slightly warm rit dye (not hot or it will take off the letters), let it sit, soak the dye out with a sponge, rinse with cold water, peel off the stickers and voila! The bottom of your disc will be black or brown or whatever color and your name and number will be the original disc color.

Cool...thanx for the tips. Although I don't want to mark the disc as mine with the Rit dye idea, I will save that for the future if I want the disc.

I've never heard of dying your info into a disc, nice one John. I usually just use a Sharpie, but I've found that depending on which style of Sharpie used, the ink fades much quicker, especially on Champion plastic.

But to get back on topic, acetone is the only way to go man.

Kaboom. if you spray it on and let it sit there for about 20 seconds then wipe it of with a paper towel then the name should ome right off. i have done this with about 10 disc i have bought used. what disc do you have to possibly trade?

i have used gas and my g-friends nail polish remover both worked very well (be careful of the nail polish remover... do not to leave it on the surface of the disc as it likes to eat away soft plastic discs ) also (be careful when siphoning the gas from your neighbors car as it tastes very horrible)

Rofl at matt for.....(be careful when siphoning the gas from your neighbors car as it tastes very horrible) I'll also be posting the discs for trade soon. I need to try again on monday to get in touch with one of the owners. If I can't reach them I want to include it as well.

Last edited:
M.E.K. (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) also known as PVC Cleaner works great and won't damage the plastic. Just don't get any on the stamp or it's gone. DX plastic is impossible to totally get Sharpie out of but the MEK will remove about 80%.

M.E.K. (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) also known as PVC Cleaner works great and won't damage the plastic. Just don't get any on the stamp or it's gone. DX plastic is impossible to totally get Sharpie out of but the MEK will remove about 80%.

Where would you buy MEK?

i tried a little spot on a star disc today with a swab soaked w/ MEK, to my amazement, it started dissolving the sharpie ink, something i've never seen with any other attempts on star plastic...i've had much better luck with 91% isopropyl on dx and pro...

removing sharpie marker

does anyone know any tricks to remove sharpie ink?? i recently got a cool disc from a buddy but he decided to draw all over the bottom, and i also have some others i would like to take my name off so i can sell....any tricks? i found this video but i havent tried it yet....
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/702022/remove_sharpie_marker_with_a_dry_erase_marker/
does anyone know if that would work? seems too easy lol