• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] RHFH Approach Disc

Golden Tuna

Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I go back and forth between the Zone and Suspect, but having issues with both...

The Suspect doesn't hold up to win + snap that well (for me) & the Zone is a little short & overstable (for me). I think I'm eaither looking for a crazy overstable Suspect or super beat in Zone...

What are you guys using for RHFH approach shots at <150'?

You can also look into a base plastic Harp or a Jawbreaker Zone. I find Zone/Harp flights pretty interchangeable, and they are less overstable in those plastics after some wear. Still HSS though.

I use my Soft Proxy for this range. It can hold a hyzer as well.

Nobody ever believes me, except Moose33, but the BT Soft Harp is what you are looking for. The Bt Soft starts out the most OS and stays that way the longest.

FH approach shots are my bread and butter. The soft Harp is great. Latey I've also been using a Kastaplast Berg. Although much slower than a Harp (or Suspect), I've found it to have the perfect stability for FH approach shots. They don't glide much and are very easy to range and set down right where you want them. Hope that helps. Bt Soft Harp fits the stabilty description you are seeking the best tho.

Nobody ever believes me, except Moose33, but the BT Soft Harp is what you are looking for. The Bt Soft starts out the most OS and stays that way the longest.

FH approach shots are my bread and butter. The soft Harp is great. Latey I've also been using a Kastaplast Berg. Although much slower than a Harp (or Suspect), I've found it to have the perfect stability for FH approach shots. They don't glide much and are very easy to range and set down right where you want them. Hope that helps. Bt Soft Harp fits the stabilty description you are seeking the best tho.

Yeah the last BT Soft Harp I tried was as stable as my ESP Zone. Stops when it hits the ground better though. They will ding up or at least look dinged up pretty quick though. I think it would get to a really good spot for this. Or Med/Hard, whatever preference.

Berg is a really interesting disc. It's super slow but extremely HSS without a ton of LSS. This is one of those discs that if you have a really good FH it's really cool, but I have the feeling that if OP is having issues at 150' with a Zone, that the Berg might not be easy enough to get that distance with either. It's such a unique and trustworthy disc though.

RFrance's post reminds me of the Envy...I haven't flicked one in wind but they feel great when I've tried them in calm. I wish I could have an excuse to bag one but it'd overlap a ton in my setup.

I totally believe you.

Having said that, I prefer the BT Hard and Tournament plastic Harps. The TP doesn't beat in as fast and skips well; the BT Hard seasons in and doesn't skip as much. The particular situation dictates which disc I throw.

I'm also beginning to work with my new ESP Zone, and we'll see how it goes...

BT Hard Harps if you want them to last a while. I carry two -- fresh and beat up. Used to carry a Zone, but it was more OS and more skippy than I wanted. These Hard Harps start about there, but season really nicely. Baseline plastic Harps are perfect.

Origio plastic is nice and stiff as well -- think older stiffer DX -- and season in more quickly. Medium plastic is decent too. Soft is just too soft in the hand for me, but I totally get it.

BT Soft Harp is what you are looking for. The Bt Soft starts out the most OS and stays that way the longest.

If I understand what you're saying, the BT Soft Harp is more OS (than my Zone) & stays that way longer? If that is the case, that is the opposite direction of where I am trying to go. I would be looking for something less stable than a Zone or Harp, but more stable than a Suspect. Please correct me if I got that wrong...

Yeah the last BT Soft Harp I tried was as stable as my ESP Zone. Stops when it hits the ground better though. They will ding up or at least look dinged up pretty quick though. I think it would get to a really good spot for this. Or Med/Hard, whatever preference.

Berg is a really interesting disc. It's super slow but extremely HSS without a ton of LSS. This is one of those discs that if you have a really good FH it's really cool, but I have the feeling that if OP is having issues at 150' with a Zone, that the Berg might not be easy enough to get that distance with either. It's such a unique and trustworthy disc though.

I should have clarified the "trouble" I'm having... My home course has a long-ish hole (~475') with water on either side of the pin. Looking straight at the pin from the tee pad there is a pond 15-20' to the right of the pin, which is atop a steep hill that leads straight down to another water hazard. So, you basically need to land within ~15 of the pin to stay in bounds and on top of the hill.

The way I play the hole, I throw a mid off the tee, then flick up to the pin. There is also a headwind in your face. I turned my Suspect over and put it in the lake at the bottom of the hill. My Felon skipped off the top of the hill and landed in the right pond. The Zone fights the wind and doesn't skip too far, but it leaves me with a tough putt and the same danger of rolling down the hill into the lower water hazard.

So, I need something that is strong enough to hold up to a good wind, but not so overstable that it will go past the pin into the right side hazard, that will also hit and sit...

Here's the hole. The red arrow in the first pic shows the pin location. The 2nd pic shows the lower/left water hazard (just past the bench) but doesn't illustrate how steep that hill really is...

Does anyone use a Gator, Mortar, or Justice for this shot?
Couse: Logan University in Chesterfield, MO.

Attachments

• Logan 8.jpg
    Logan 8.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 41
  • Logan 8-2.jpg
    Logan 8-2.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 37
If I understand what you're saying, the BT Soft Harp is more OS (than my Zone) & stays that way longer? If that is the case, that is the opposite direction of where I am trying to go. I would be looking for something less stable than a Zone or Harp, but more stable than a Suspect. Please correct me if I got that wrong...

No, the Harp is not as OS and dumpy as a Zone. I read your post and I understand what you are asking for. It's right inbetween a Zone and a Suspect, imho. The soft Harp just seems to start off in that comfortably OS spot and stay there for a looooong time even after they get ugly and puddle topped. The puddle top that develops only makes the FH grip better. The soft plastic hits and sticks like no other while still not being so soft that you can't flick it.

I'm a huge Suspect fan, but at 150ft, I'm using a Rhyno.
A Scale might be another option.

Harp always seemed too deep for me and I never found a use for a Zone (Just doesn't fit me).

^Yeah the fresh Soft Harp I tried was basically the same stability as the Zone but I'm sure it will beat in to mellow out, but not get flippy or anything. The Med/Hard I think is a little less OS. I've never owned a base plastic Harp, so I basically just have the equal to or less than premium Zone comparisons. I think one of the base plastic Harps is a good bet here since it'd be familiar to you as a Zone thrower, but stick better and not be quite as OS.

Are you able to throw a pure Hyzer or even borderline spike hyzer to stick the landing zone? Or would that be too prone to rollaways?

Also the Rhyno suggestions are good, they are pretty straight compared to a Zone but HSS. That's going by star/Gstar that I have tried recently, I remember champs being bricks but it's been quite some time since I've tried one.

Are you forehand dominant? Given the pictures, it seems like a RHBH throw would give better results. Perhaps a straight midrange with which you can give a soft hyzer just over the water fading gently to the pin. Anyone else think the same thing?

It's too bad the medium Harps very those dimples in the flight plate that never come out. The medium Harp feels great but for some reason they just didn't work out. They lose their stability faster than any other Harp. It's weird.

The Rhyno suggestions are ok, but those aren't more OS than a Suspect. Jokeri could work too but again, not really all that different that a Suspect.

One thing about Suspects though is that the most OS ones are the slightly puddle topped fuzions or biofuzions. If you've been using a Lucid Suspect, try a bio beacase the Lucids are waaay straighter. The bio might have the fade you are looking for. Just a thought.

If all else fails, just get a K1 and a K3 Berg and you'll park all the shots.

I like Squalls. They aren't OS like the other discs you're talking about, but they're straight. Some awesome dude hooked me up with a couple of SPs :D ; they're a bit more stable than the Prolines.

You already tried my answer. I'm downright deadly with a Zone flick. Use the Buzzz for the less overstable/longer approach.

I was going to say Buzzz too, though the thought of a headwind makes me change my mind. A plain ol' Z Buzzz is a very versatile forehand approach tool. With a headwind, you could try a Buzzz OS?

I think everyone's different. I think I'd be using a Zone for that shot, but it would depend on conditions.

A majority of my sidearm approach shots are with a Pig or a Mortar. If I want more skip and/or more distance I go with the Recon Mortar. If I want little to no skip I use a Pig. I throw the Pig sidearm a lot more than backhand. I prefer the Factory Store "Stiff" Pro Pigs. I've been experimenting with my Frontline-X Mortar to try to replace my Pig (to carry less molds). It skips less than the Recon but more than a Pig. I prefer to flick beadless discs so I like my setup.

I bag a suspect for longer approaches 150-225ish, a BT Medium harp for shorter approaches <150 and a Fuzion Justice for utility approaches. Combined with a beat in Judge that is my throwing putter I cover almost any shot I can face. Of those 4 discs you will never find me without the Suspect/Harp/Judge. The Justice could probably go but it is fun to throw.