• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Riding the Tibia / Weight shift / The final step

navel

Birdie Member
Struggling with shifting from behind? Not feeling all that confident in your last step? Losing balance?
Having questions like: Where do my feet go? How do I get power and accuracy to my shots? Why can't I stay centered?

Look no further! Here's the solution for you!

Three easy steps for success:
1. Let your front hip ride down your back tibia going into the last step. (To achieve this you need to clear your back hip a bit to make room for your front hip.)
2. Let your back hip ride up your front tibia into the throw. (To achieve this you need to clear your front hip to make room for your back hip.)
3. Profit!

And while you are at it: Stay stacked at all times. Don't overcomplicate the throw by rushing it, leaning out of center or losing balance. Everything will happen automatically. Just riiiide down the tibia for as long as possible, getting low into the last step. Then ride up the other tibia while pushing of like a jump.
Balance will feel easier than ever, and so will the rest. Feet will be placed for balance. Your body will take care of that for you. So once again, don't overcomplicate it.

Wtq7wGs.png

Here are a few examples:

oZT6OJ.gif

OkwApA.gif

VagueDapperAmericanindianhorse-size_restricted.gif

FR5_Bp.gif

lMoF4Sy.gif

Remember to make room for the hips!
Pushing into the ground with a firm and balanced front foot you can easily clear the front hip out of the way, and allow the back hip to ride up that front tibia.

Equally important! Feel the connection front hip -> back tibia and back hip -> front tibia

Clearing of the front hip and riding up the front tibia:
25jqFZ.gif

I see people miss this all the time. Just thought a clarification would be of use.
Have fun!

Looking at some of those gifs, the disc stays just about centered in the pelvis through the entire swing (from a top view perspective).

Looking at some of those gifs, the disc stays just about centered in the pelvis through the entire swing (from a top view perspective).

Mostly correct. I would choose to say centered in the torso instead. Since the torso and disc lags behind the pelvis.

When shifting the right way:
Upper back will turn facing the target -> Disc will stay in place while your mass travels towards the target.
This gives you a nice reach out, straight away from the torso (but also back away from target).

When done correctly: reach out = reach back.
When done incorrectly: reach out ≠ reach back.

Thanks for this Navel,

Really like this and will go out to test it.
"...getting low into the last step. Then ride up the other tibia while pushing of like a jump." I'm a bit conflicted about this part. I think I get it but sounds easy to rise through the plant with this sentiment in the head. Gavin sort of does it in his GIF but looks like he is throwing it on a really high trajactory. Probably shouldn't judge it before giving it a go.

Well done!

Thanks for this Navel,

Really like this and will go out to test it.
"...getting low into the last step. Then ride up the other tibia while pushing of like a jump." I'm a bit conflicted about this part. I think I get it but sounds easy to rise through the plant with this sentiment in the head. Gavin sort of does it in his GIF but looks like he is throwing it on a really high trajactory. Probably shouldn't judge it before giving it a go.

Well done!

Thanks!
Staying stacked is key. You want to stay centered between your feet, not leaning and swaying back and forth.

Think about it like a skateboarder on a pump track. You are able to generate speed by pumping the ground straight down, even though the ground might be leaning.
You are never leaning into your feet and tibia however. You ride down and up while staying stacked. Look at the illustration in my first post with Will Schusterick.

Good luck!

Can you use your fibula too? Or is it just the tibia?

In the GIF above, Will makes the shift backwards purely lateral. His weight goes straight back. I think.

Then from there, he starts with SW22's Figure 8 move, as he recenters weight forward. I think he's all the way forward before counterclockwise switches to clockwise, but the rotation and the shift forwards are combined.