• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Roadrunner Vs Sidewinder

I have the Sidewinder, Roadrunner, and Avenger SS all in my bag. The Sidewinder is a very predictable disc and is great for beginner/intermediate players that want a nice s-turn on their shots. The Roadrunner is great for long, slow turnovers and will fade back slightly at the end. The Avenger SS is more understable for me than the Roadrunner and is great for getting around obstacles or right to left holes that need a long turnover. If it's calm with a slight headwind, I can release my Avenger SS at a hyzer angle, get it to pop up flat, fade slightly right, and turn back with hardly any effort.

I have only thrown 1 sidewinder and I never got it under control...it was just too flippy.

I love my champion roadrunners! These things have been extremely predictable for me. I generally hyzer-flip them into a turnover shot, but I can also release them pretty flat (to very slight hyzer) and get a much more pronounced anhyzer out of them. These things generally don't come back for me (don't fade out for me).

I used to throw Avenger SS but I agree with BENFTS above post saying that they are much more stable than RRs or Sidewinders.

TLDR: RoadRunner FTW!

I've gone through a number of sidewinders and, at least among the ones I threw, the Star and Champ were entirely different discs, with the Champ being much flippier. With my low-velocity arm the Stars start out straight and beat into a reliable turnover; the Champs I can throw for a high anhyzer and not stall out.

I carry and love them both! For my arm, Star Sidewinders are helpful for straight to slightly anhyzer shots and my beloved Echo Star Roadrunner is another standard deviation more than that. It's definitely my long range anhyzer Disc, and in fact, it taught me how to execute the throw. (Anhyzering with a RHBH has always been my Achilles' heel. I was a forehand player throughout my youth and am happy to have both options in my arsenal now). I know that I haven't snapped it enough when it peters back to the left at the end of its flight.

Gotta give some love to Discraft, too...Just bought a new Elite-X Stratus and it's fantastic for the same shot, but 50-75 feet shorter and slower. My 12-year-old Stratus is beautifully beaten in for trick anhyzers, and now it's time to beat in the next one to take its place. :)

Last edited:
I have always preferred my Star Sidewinder. However, mine does have a predictable fade at the end. It is also a good utility disc for overhand or rollers.

The RR has always been too flippy for me. I have a friend though that will throw his Star RR on an anny with usually no fade. I guess it depends on the way you throw.

The Avenger SS is also a similar disc.

As someone with a severe shoulder injury that prevents me from throwing backhand at all, I rely on my Champ RR for a few key shots. It is my go-to finesse and sky roller (for those who know DeLa, the RR will happily make it to the end of I-5's fairway and then turn the corner for me). I use it when I want a truly effortless 300' (maybe 40% power?), when I want it to weave its way there. But most importantly, it is the only disc I've ever thrown that I can get to travel anny for 350' plus w/o fading at the end. This is obviously an indication of my skill level, not because no other discs out there will do it, but I'm not sure I'll ever play w/o a RR again.

I have thrown only the sidewinder in DX and the RR in star and own two. The weight might have done something to it but my problem with the sidewinder was once it turned over it would not come back. Might be the trait you wanted but mine went into a gully and was lost forever. For the RR's I still have both 175g bad boys and I can always count on them to come back or at least level out. I also have a Avenger SS and just realized the last two rounds how great of a 60% power control driver it is. I used to use my roadrunners but have found that those have a little to much left to right play in them. The avenger goes straight at about 60%, fades right after about 75% at 150ft, or turns hard right at 100% and follows that line.

I have 2 star rr's. One is a few grams lighter, and also slightly beat in, and one almost new. If I put a good nose down hyzer on the beat one its a monster. Flew out of my hand and just starts lifting and turning right. Must be close to 30 ft high and 350 ft out before fading back and landing at 380'. It was beautiful. The newer one is the same but turns less so theres a little less distance. 2nd longest drive came with 169 star rr

Now the star sw.. Slight hyzer and that thing is laser straight. Little more and you get a nice hyzer flip. Thrown flat will have a nice slow right. Love using the sidewinder forehand. Put a lil hyzer on the release and watch it flex out and come back left.

Overall I dont think you can go wrong with either. I wish I would have had these discs before I was playing int/adv, but I honestly probably couldn't have thrown them like I do now

Last edited:
I pretty much only throw the Sidewinder. I love that disc its my main turnover disc altho sometimes it come out of its ANNY, mainly now in the winter months.

My Champ Sidewinders are very stable, will take 360' of power at a ~2:30 angle, just a little hyzer, they'll turn to flat but not move right much at all.

Star SW are my turn over disc/long lineshaping from a much steeper hyzer.

I've been throwing the same Star Sidewinder for over a year. It's my flippy control driver, and now I basically only use it for long annies since I'm using a River for hyzer-flip laser beam duties.

That said, I don't find Sidewinders to be turn and burn machines at all. If I throw a ~350' turnover, it will go straight for about 275-300, then start turning, then sometimes flex back a bit at the end, and often wants to fight back just enough to put on the brakes at that distance. It's easy to get it to hold a big anny to the ground though. Thrown straight (which I never really do), there's a ton of distance potential if you dial in the amount of hyzer, throw it high enough and get it to turn and flex out nose down.

I've only thrown Roadrunners a few times, but they definitely turn earlier. The Sidewinder likes to turn late, and I feel you can put a bit more on them, but that's probably only because I'm very used to my Sidewinder. They're both good discs.