• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Roc Compliment?

Crosseyed0811

Eagle Member
What mid's out there are good compliment for Rocs? I know Rocs will beat in to cover most any mid range shot, but if you don't have any broken in and are looking for a less stable compliment, what works best. I was thinking Coyote or Mako maybe. I know I have an older Star Coyote that I've always been trying to break in a Roc to fly like (but have yet to). I have not thrown a Mako yet and have heard some people say that they were better at anny lines than a Coyote which puzzled me since it was supposed to me more stable.

"nice roc shot"

"that roc looks nice and domey"

"wow! you really know how to throw rocs really well"

Complement? Comet, definitely.

Coyote was always supposed to have more fade than Mako, and since the Mako came along they've actually changed the Coyote to be a bit more overstable. I like both and they're great discs, but the Comet definitely is above both, the only things going for them would be speed and a different grip that might suit you better. Z Comet will easily handle straight shots and holds an anhyzer truer than most anything on the market, and if you want understability get an X Comet. It'll start out straight but is easy to beat into understable.

Leave it to Frank, I should have expected that reply :p I just bought a Comet the other day and wound up taking it back... Didn't like the grip on it. Didn't think it was an unusual grip but after messing around with it at home it made my hand hurt...

Are we saying Mako or Coyote won't work well with a Roc?
And I have an older Coyote (had it for about 4 years now maybe?) Getting a new one won't be the same I'm gathering?
I know I can't tell the difference in them and a Mako looking at one, so is it more similar to the older Coyotes now?
Since the Coyote is more stable now is it more versatile? As in can it stand as a lone midrange disc more easily? I figure it still won't handle wind well and I'll still need my Rocs for it, plus with the stack of Rocs I have I feel somewhat obliged to continue throwing them...

Edit: Why I'm asking is I'm planning to either buy another Coyote to go with the one I have, or get a Mako... Now what I'm hearing is I might need to get one of each since mine doesn't seem to represent them well anymore?

I am assuming that you are talking rancho's in your original post. So, why not just snag an ontario roc to compliment your rancho? An ontario will beat up enough to cover the spread.

Not sure what is meant by "the new Roc" in your post. To add to why I'm looking for another disc is that while I like some of the thing I can do with a Roc, I prefer throwing on lower lines most of the time and I have been told that I obviously won't get the most out of my Rocs on those line drive type of lines. If "just throw the Roc" worked for me, I wouldn't be looking for other discs. There are things I've been able to do with my Coyote that I've never been able to do with a Roc, no matter how beat in it is. I was MOSTLY looking for comparison between Mako and Coyote while still leaving the door open for something that worked better for what I wanted than either that I was unaware of or not thinking of.

P-MD2 might also work if you have a need for a straight disc that will hold any angle you give it.

im gonna have to go with an ontario roc, comet of any sort, or a shark... all three go very well with rocs!

jubuttib said:
P-MD2 might also work if you have a need for a straight disc that will hold any angle you give it.

This is one I'm interested in... Checked PIAS for them yesterday but all they had were S and C lines. I was contemplating trying to switch completely to MD2's but I have a huge stack of Rocs so I feel like I'm tied to them at least for a little while... I think I read where you hadn't beaten one to flippy yet?

I haven't. I've had one that turned a bit, but nowhere near like for example a Fuse. And even that was a second hand specimen, and of the inferior red first run stock (the orange ones had a totally different wing due to a molding mishap, I think). Those were R-Pro and had a sharper nose than the premiums and current run of P-Line (regular Pro), more understable out of the box.

Currently they all have the blunt nose and the same wing shape, and I haven't gotten one of those to turn more than a bit after months.

Crosseyed0811 said:
Not sure what is meant by "the new Roc" in your post. To add to why I'm looking for another disc is that while I like some of the thing I can do with a Roc, I prefer throwing on lower lines most of the time and I have been told that I obviously won't get the most out of my Rocs on those line drive type of lines. If "just throw the Roc" worked for me, I wouldn't be looking for other discs. There are things I've been able to do with my Coyote that I've never been able to do with a Roc, no matter how beat in it is. I was MOSTLY looking for comparison between Mako and Coyote while still leaving the door open for something that worked better for what I wanted than either that I was unaware of or not thinking of.
Here's a quote from your first post:

I know Rocs will beat in to cover most any mid range shot, but if you don't have any broken in and are looking for a less stable compliment, what works best.
The "new Roc" I was talking about were the ones that aren't broken in that you mentioned. Not broken in = new. How am I supposed to get "I want something that works better on low lines," rather than "I have a new Roc and want something less understable to cover those shots until my Roc beats up?" from that? You even say they will work for most shots, not that you think they can't cover mid shots you want to make. If there's more to your OP than what you originally posted that's fine, but adding snarky comments like, "If 'just throw the Roc' worked for me, I wouldn't be looking for other discs" becasue I didn't answer the secret question that you didn't actually ask isn't a great way to encourage a different answer.

Don't take things personally... I wasn't being "snarky" towards you. You said "the new Roc" so I didn't know if you meant the newer Star San Marino's or the newer R-Pro Roc+'s... There is a big difference between "the new Roc" and "a new Roc"... That was the ONLY part of my post that was directed towards yours. And you are exactly right that I did not put something other than the Roc or something better on low lines in my OP so that's why I was adding it then. Also why I started that section with "To add..." My appologies if you took anything the wrong way. These are some of the drawbacks to text only communication...

im currently throwing comets, but threw a fuse for a long time previously/ Either is fine, its a matter of throwing style and opinion IMO. Fuse is more like a beat roc (in flight), comet is its own thing and just happens to feel like a roc IMO.

Currently I'm using a new Roc/ slightly beat in CMD2/ beat in Star Mako trifecta in my mid department. A lot of people don't like Mako's because they can be fickle, but if you put the time in with them they are really great discs once you figure them out.

I use my Mako for understable duties/approaches; they do achieve some nice anny lines and if you put a slight hyzer on it you can throw some straight line bombs. The Mako is still the best approaching mid I've thrown, I know a lot of Comet guys will disagree but I've never really cared for the grip of the Comet.

I've also been interested in grabbing a PMD2 and seeing if that could put my Mako to shame, I love my C-MD2.