• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Roc3: OS Plastic of choice?

Well the RocX3 is only a "Roc" because of the name they printed on it. Several of the non-Innova suggestions actually feel closer to a regular Roc than the RocX3 does.

My DX RocX3 really does just feel like a flat, overstable DX Roc. It's only maybe 30' max shorter with a bit more fade, and more reliable into a headwind. But at the end of the day, it's still very much a roc to me.

Millennnium Taurus is the Roc-X and a step up in stability if you're dead set on staying in the Roc family. Otherwise I'll throw another vote in for a good old Z Wasp.

Millennnium Taurus is the Roc-X and a step up in stability if you're dead set on staying in the Roc family. Otherwise I'll throw another vote in for a good old Z Wasp.

Talk to me more about the Taurus?

Well the RocX3 is only a "Roc" because of the name they printed on it. Several of the non-Innova suggestions actually feel closer to a regular Roc than the RocX3 does.

Please elaborate? Looking for the same feel as a flat top kc pro roc. But more overstable...

Please elaborate? Looking for the same feel as a flat top kc pro roc. But more overstable...

It's a similar disc to the Roc, but the nose shape is noticeably different. It's a "Roc" in the same way that a BuzzzOS is a Buzzz. It's meant to be an overstable compliment and it's very similar. But it's not the same disc.

So my point is that if you're trying to be a Roc purist for whatever reason, the RocX3 doesn't really fit. Something like a Wasp, Ghost, Mace are all closer to a Roc, despite the name IMO.

There are several other non-Innova options that feel basically identical to a Roc but will fly a little more overstable. I know you want to stay within the Roc family and everything, but the easiest solution is really to just suck it up and throw a Z Wasp. If you close your eyes you won't know the difference. And it will be way easier and cheaper to replace than whatever specialty run of Roc you need to find.

I can tell a difference, the Z Wasp has the more comfortable rim due to being Wider then a ROC.

Another great and cheep on Gotta Go Gotta Throw is Lighting # 3 Hyzer. The #3 Hyzer is very similar to what A ROCX3 is for a disc but maybe that disc is 4-5|3-4|0|4 but being in the Baseline the disc will wear in a tad. I know as my dad had that and kept loosing them as discs so he found the Z Wasp as that was as OS as my dad needed, he found that he did not need such an OS Disc.

At the time in m dad in his 2 year of play he was trying to get a disc for ever single shot type he needed, a few years later to now he has mostly a putter for putting and an OS putting putter, a US and OS putter for throwing, a US and OS set of midrange then same but also a neutral fairway, and same for drivers in 9-10 and then just a Tee-Rex/Xcal disc for the max speed slot as there was not much for speed 12 in 2007-2009 that was not on the OS side.

I have a quick dumb question : are Roc3s typically flat on top? Like, I'm more likely to trust that I'll get a flat Roc3 if I order one blindly through the mail? Isn't that one of the main appeals of Roc3s over regular Ranchos besides being a tad faster?

I have a quick dumb question : are Roc3s typically flat on top? Like, I'm more likely to trust that I'll get a flat Roc3 if I order one blindly through the mail? Isn't that one of the main appeals of Roc3s over regular Ranchos besides being a tad faster?

From what I have seen the average Roc3 has more of what I'd consider a low dome or "kinda flat" but not really flat. I've had Roc3s in Champ and Star that were as domey as regular Ranchos. If you want to buy a flat Roc3 it will have to be in person or through an online store that will confirm flatness. OTB Discs is one that lists ratings for how flat or domey each disc is.

None of them are as flat as a Flat Top Roc, but I've never seen a domey Roc3 in any plastic

None of them are as flat as a Flat Top Roc, but I've never seen a domey Roc3 in any plastic

Star is most likely to be domey from what I have seen and owned. Both stock stamp and bottom stamp Star Roc3s have had some substantial dome.

EDIT: looked at OTB Discs and they have a Star Roc3 with a 6 out of 7 on the flat/domey scale (pretty domey.)

Last edited:
I have a max weight Star Roc3 and it's way beefier than any DX one I've ever thrown. I'm always a little surprised at how stable it is by comparison.

I've got a Taurus in bound, picked up a rocx3 at the store the other day... looking to throw them together when the Taurus comes in.

Early run Glow Champ Roc3's marked "R" on the bottom.

Not a true OS mold, but will hold that end of the line up if you're throwing KC Flat Tops.

Z Wasp is still the best answer to this. More stability than any Roc or Roc3, and holds the sweet spot WAY longer. It also has a bead similar to the Roc. Not sure why you wouldn't at least give it a try...