• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Roc3x midrange

I'm hoping I just had a bad throwing day or something, gonna try the same disc out again today along with another of the 4.

Ok, looks like I have a lemon. took another DX disc out and it was stable and super glidey, whereas the first disc still has some turn to it. So I guess I have already started cycling with a flippy one out of the box. Glad I didn't start with a disc like this because I would have never chosen the mold.

Took me a while to find this thread because the 3 comes after the X.

Picked up a DX RocX3 a couple weeks back and the thing was laser straight with a healthy fade. pretty high speed stable even in a little headwind. Based on that flight I decided to pick up a small stack of DX RX3s and a couple Glow Champ RX3s because I couldn't find any clear colorless champ and my color OCD is strong with discs. The Glow Champ RX3s are fantastically beefy and I love them, but the one new DX RX3 I tried to throw had some turn to it. Has anyone else experienced this with the mold, or might I have a lemon? for reference, the disc is 176g and I have only thrown 1 of the 4 so far. Not sure if the others have turn or if I was unintentionally turning it over.

My experience with RocX3 in Glow Champ was pretty much a slightly shorter (lower glide) Roc3. The DX Color Glow pumpkin stamped one I have did behave more like a straight Roc3 and had a bit of turn after 1-2 rounds of use. DX Roc3s & DT Solstices are prone to flipping over into any headwinds off the shelf as well. I would hypothesize the flat top & blunted leading edge don't do much for extra fade/stability making these molds more nose angle/release angle sensitive than the domey Mid range molds.

My experience with RocX3 in Glow Champ was pretty much a slightly shorter (lower glide) Roc3. The DX Color Glow pumpkin stamped one I have did behave more like a straight Roc3 and had a bit of turn after 1-2 rounds of use. DX Roc3s & DT Solstices are prone to flipping over into any headwinds off the shelf as well. I would hypothesize the flat top & blunted leading edge don't do much for extra fade/stability making these molds more nose angle/release angle sensitive than the domey Mid range molds.

Thank you for the insight. I see that you have Roc as well as Roc3 in your sig. If you throw both, do you notice any distance gap between the two when beaten into similar stability? I ask because I have been thinking about picking up some DX or KC Pro Rocs, but if they don't get as much distance then there might not be enough separation from my Rekos.

Thank you for the insight. I see that you have Roc as well as Roc3 in your sig. If you throw both, do you notice any distance gap between the two when beaten into similar stability? I ask because I have been thinking about picking up some DX or KC Pro Rocs, but if they don't get as much distance then there might not be enough separation from my Rekos.

My big diameter Mid Range lineup is 2 or 3 of these:
Luster Champ Roc3 (OS) > DX Roc (new to slightly beat in straight) > Quantum Aurora MS (Shapeable US) > DX Roc3 (US)

I see less distance potential from a DX Roc3 than a DX Roc mostly due to the Roc having more stability and allowing a higher release speed without turning and burning.

I'd say there are some benefits to the stability a large diameter Mid range has with the higher max weight compared to putters. My mid range usage is really dependent on the course/wind conditions so sometimes they get very little use and others a majority of ~300' shots.

I haven't thrown the Glow Champ RocX3 in a while so maybe I'll take it out of storage to compare with the new Quantum Solstice I have been trying out this year since they share the same blunt flat-top.

My big diameter Mid Range lineup is 2 or 3 of these:
Luster Champ Roc3 (OS) > DX Roc (new to slightly beat in straight) > Quantum Aurora MS (Shapeable US) > DX Roc3 (US)

I see less distance potential from a DX Roc3 than a DX Roc mostly due to the Roc having more stability and allowing a higher release speed without turning and burning.

I'd say there are some benefits to the stability a large diameter Mid range has with the higher max weight compared to putters. My mid range usage is really dependent on the course/wind conditions so sometimes they get very little use and others a majority of ~300' shots.

I haven't thrown the Glow Champ RocX3 in a while so maybe I'll take it out of storage to compare with the new Quantum Solstice I have been trying out this year since they share the same blunt flat-top.

Ok, I think I might switch over to DX Rocs for the cycle then. Thanks again for the info.

I will say DT Solstice vs DX RocX3 (The first stable one I got), the Solstice likes to dump straight to the ground where the RocX3 had some nice drifting fade and about 20-30 feet extra distance for me. I haven't tested my glow champ RocX3 against my QSolstice yet, but I had a similar experience when testing a Metal Flake MD4 vs the QSolstice just less of a distance gap between the two.

Latest posts