• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rollers?

Valk will probably be easier to flip over, but being more stable the Eagle could hold the line longer. Depends on many things, for example do you flip the disc over or do you throw with massive anhyzer?

yeah thats a big difference

a dx valkyrie will be great for flip rollers

a dx eagle will be better for anhyzer rollers. Well assuming it is an Eagle-X.

If you have an Eagle-L, it can handle types of BH rollers fairly well

My suggestion is to take every disc in your bag, go to the field, and throw all sorts of rollers. You can roll any disc, which one suits your throwing style best is likely to differ from mine, and maybe anyone else's.

Generally speaking, for a sky roller most people are throwing something more understable, or that will flip faster. For a cut roller it's generally something more overstable that will stand up quickly.

BH I roll Roadrunners, Predators and Rocs. FH cut rollers are typically Predators, occasionally a short cut roll with a putter.

Wowza get a circle stamped avenger ss and roll till your hearts content. For cut and standup rollers, I roll a predator and also a zone (sidearm)

ferretdance03 said:
My suggestion is to take every disc in your bag, go to the field, and throw all sorts of rollers. You can roll any disc, which one suits your throwing style best is likely to differ from mine, and maybe anyone else's.

Generally speaking, for a sky roller most people are throwing something more understable, or that will flip faster. For a cut roller it's generally something more overstable that will stand up quickly.

BH I roll Roadrunners, Predators and Rocs. FH cut rollers are typically Predators, occasionally a short cut roll with a putter.

^ QFT

I played a round with a local pro once that helped me "choose" how to throw a couple shots. He had me throw some short FH rollers with putters. Once you understand what it can do they're an amazing asset. Throwing (or at least understanding) some of the unconventional shots can often save you a stroke if you end up somewhere you didn't intend.

Try rollers with all your discs, both FH and BH, so that you understand what they do. Once you know that you may find yourself in situations where they're the best shot to attempt, instead of some general "this disc for this type of shot" logic.

I'll second trying a bunch of different stuff, the most logical choices being the discs you already carry. The disc which is best for a given shot will depend on elevation change, ceiling height, line you want to hit, landing zone, etc...one roller doesn't really do it all.

It really depends on what types of rollers you want to do and what you want to accomplish with them.

I've found that overstable discs like to roll longer because they stand up and roll out slower than understable discs. The trick is getting an overstable disc to hit the ground at the right angle especially with the BH roller. I mostly use massively overstable discs for short FH rollers or BH rollers that hit the ground less than 150' away.

I've also found that faster discs roll really far because the narrower nose provides less contact with the ground.

If you are trying to do big sky rollers then you might want to consider a more evenly stable disc or slightly understable.

If you are trying to set your roller down 300' away from the teepad then you are pretty much going to have to use an understable disc unless you have monster power.

For you I'd recommend Working the Valk on as many different types of rollers as possible. Figure out what works and what doesn't. When you know what the Valk can't do then come back and ask for more advice. Chances are that a different disc will do what the Valk can't.

Went to the field today and tried the dx valk out. its not understable enough for the sky roller yet, however it handles quick rollers great.
then the xpress...... still my best roller as it will do any roller you want.........even with 35mph wind :)