• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Roottori's Bag

I'm nowhere near that kind of distance, more like 350' on flat ground and golf lines, 360' at best. Both of my Pro Beasts turn at that distance and I wouldn't call them beat. Seasoned maybe but not beat. I believe I have quite clean form because I can throw newish X Comet up to 300' without turning it. So maybe I've just got lemons or I don't know what beat means.

Maybe you need to use the Champ Beast more. Or your form might have some issues or you are seeing the effects of changing winds.

Yeah, I probably should do that. I'll see if I could find a good, domey Beast with high-ish PLH and see what happens.

A quick update here. I dropped Beasts and I've been playing with only Eagles and Preds, so far it's worked pretty well. I also dropped Champion Eagles from my bag, because mostly when I reach for an Eagle I don't want that harsh of a fade, if I need something overstable I go with a Pred. One Champion Eagle-L is getting a test run, so far I've been liking it quite a bit for straighter shots, because it doesn't turn like my beat Eagles but it doesn't fade as hard as new Eagles. As for midranges, it's Comets only for now, I haven't really had a feeling that I needed something more overstable. I also picked up a QOLS from a local retailer and it's getting a few throws here and there, let's see if I end up liking it or not.

2x Firm Wizard 173g, putts and back-up
Firm Wizard 175g, straight-ish
Chalky Soft Wizard 175g, overstable

X Comet 180g, beating this one up for understable stuff
LE ESP Comet 180g, straight
ESP Comet 180g, overstable-ish-kind-of-for-comet-at-least

3x DX Eagle-X 175g, beat, seasoned and new
Champion Eagle-L 171g, straight
2x Z Predator 173g, a new one and a slightly seasoned one
QOLS 175g, testing this one for distance

Unfortunately I lost my beautifully beat soft Wizard just when it was starting to develop some high speed turn. :( But today I scored my first ace ever with my firm Wizard, 230' tunnel shot, slight downhill, it was cool. So I think we got our relationship off to a good start. :mrgreen: But now I need another understable putter, sigh. And beating up those Wizards will probably take a loooong time, so... Any good out-of-the-box understable putters out there to use as a substitute while I'm beating up my Wizards? Magic, Summit?

Warlock and grats on the ace. Qols is not that long and shorter than jls and faster discs. Blizzards maybe a 13x wraith could work to give more distance.

Thank you!

Heh, I'm not that desperate to get more distance that I would use those bubbly ones. I've actually got quite used to using just Eagles, so I'm not really even looking for a distance driver at the moment, just testing different stuff here and there. I'll rather work on my form and try to push those Eagles farther than try to go for easy distance.

Warlock? Isn't that supposed to be more of a Wizard-like disc without bead? :?:

Yup. They break in nicely. The QOLS is a great disc in fact it is my FW driver and there are certainly a lot of options that are longer than the Eagles the QOLS included but there are even longer ones out there. Including the Beast that you dropped. Was it fading too much for you?

Allright, then the Warlock isn't quite what I'm looking for. I need an understable putter that I can use while I'm beating in my Wizards, not an overstable disc that I can beat in while I'm beating in my Wizards. :p Therefore I ordered a firm Summit, I think it should do the trick while I'm waiting for understable Wizard goodness. And I've wanted to test Vibram's stuff for a long time anyway.

Well, my Pro Beasts were way too squirrely to be used in windy situations and my Champion Beast was too beefy to get any kind of distance with. I was having a lot of nose angle issues those days though, so I'm quite sure the problem was indian and not the arrow, as usual. I still have those Beasts sitting in my closet, so I may give them another shot when my technique improves.

About my technique, basically I'm not getting the disc in to the power pocket or power zone, whatever the heck you want to call it, but the disc only reaches my left pec before I take it farther away from my body resulting in rounding, nose up and no explosiveness. So I've started doing right pec drill and trying to incorporate it to my throw, and I've already seen some quite promising improvements. When I've played practice rounds I've thrown with two-step "walk-up", bent elbow and very short reach back (I don't really bring the disc farther than my left pec). Even with that short of a reach back and basically no run-up I'm already throwing about the same distance as I was throwing before with full run-up, reach back etc. and I'm feeling more explosiveness in my throw. So I'm hoping I could possibly see some kind of distance, accuracy and consistency improvement once I get more used to throwing from my right pec and get smoother with my throw.

I'd say your best bet would be to start cycling Star Eagles instead of DX. Star plastic holds it's flight characteristics longer than DX but still beats in nicely. Just throw in a Star Eagle next time you would normally need to throw in a fresh DX one. Eventually you will be cycling Star Eagles & you won't be buy discs as frequently. Just my $.02

Nose up is usually not a result of rounding. There are probably other areas in which you can improve to unlock the power of the Beast. While it is one of the most forgiving fast drivers to nose up throws it still is a bad ass fast disc that is gonna punish and stay short. Super soft Warlocks break in really fast when being driven with as the main putter which is why i recommended it. Summit is a pretty understable disc from the bow and as such less dependable than a used Warlock. But it should cover most of your understable needs it just has a too high LSS for my taste for understable shots. At lower speeds or at height it likes to flex out which is great at times but not all the time. You are right about keeping the movements short enough to allow clean form and not running before you can walk. As long as you push the limits to learn more powerful form as well.

DiscinFiend said:
I'd say your best bet would be to start cycling Star Eagles instead of DX. Star plastic holds it's flight characteristics longer than DX but still beats in nicely. Just throw in a Star Eagle next time you would normally need to throw in a fresh DX one. Eventually you will be cycling Star Eagles & you won't be buy discs as frequently. Just my $.02

I might give it a shot next time I need to put a new one in. I have one flat Star Eagle but it feels veeery beefy, almost more so than my Champion ones. I'm not sure if it's due to the flatness or are they really that overstable when they are fresh?

JR said:
Nose up is usually not a result of rounding. There are probably other areas in which you can improve to unlock the power of the Beast. While it is one of the most forgiving fast drivers to nose up throws it still is a bad ass fast disc that is gonna punish and stay short. Super soft Warlocks break in really fast when being driven with as the main putter which is why i recommended it. Summit is a pretty understable disc from the bow and as such less dependable than a used Warlock. But it should cover most of your understable needs it just has a too high LSS for my taste for understable shots. At lower speeds or at height it likes to flex out which is great at times but not all the time. You are right about keeping the movements short enough to allow clean form and not running before you can walk. As long as you push the limits to learn more powerful form as well.

Aah, okey, thanks for clarifying that. Maybe I'm just not getting my weight forward enough and that is causing the nose up.

I was aware of Summit not being the same as a beat up version of a more overstable putter, but I think it will do the job I got it for, which is longer putter throws that need to turn over, well enough. On shorter or higher right hand turns I'll rather throw one of my stable Wizards with anhyzer anyway, but on longer shots flat or hyzer start and later turn is quite a different line in comparison with a pure anhyzer shot.

Roottori said:
DiscinFiend said:

I might give it a shot next time I need to put a new one in. I have one flat Star Eagle but it feels veeery beefy, almost more so than my Champion ones. I'm not sure if it's due to the flatness or are they really that overstable when they are fresh?

The Star Eagles may start out slightly more OS than your DX ones but shouldn't be that noticeable. In time the switch will be worth it, just make sure your check the PLH & Dome before you buy one.

Allright, thanks. I guess I'll better hunt for ones with some dome to get somewhat similar glide as DX ones have?

Roottori said:
Allright, thanks. I guess I'll better hunt for ones with some dome to get somewhat similar glide as DX ones have?

If in your experience the Star Eagle has been to OS then yeah I'd say get one with some dome.

Latest posts