• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Running starts..

aajpity

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Do you have to have a running start? I did for a while so I stoped and I just stand at the end of the tee and throw with all my shoulder strength. I'm thinking I should start doing the run and throw thing because I see people getting more distance when they do that. What do you recomend?

I'm a noob dude.. I want to know if it's required to have a running start or not? That's what I'm asking.

a moving start will get you more distance IF you have good form. if the movement has a negative effect on your actual throwing motion then it will help you get less distance.

the X-Step is the leg maneuver that puts you in good position to have good form during your throw. if you are asking if you should run up before you X-step then go back to my first statement. as a noob i would discourage the running start, you won't benefit from it in the long run. you should first work on a slow x-step and having good throwing form.

distance does not come from how fast your body is moving forward, almost all of your distance potential is coming from the snap of the disc which is the movement of the disc from your right pec out.

this is a drill that will help you tremendously, it helped me.

Required...no. It may help ease the stress on your shoulder/arm, but it also may impede learning to throw.

well whenever heaving an object, forward momentum always helps relieve the load on your arm. thats why you will see it in bowling, baseball, etc. I found these little pointer drawings from innova helpful.

I've never seen a Bowler or Pitcher 'run up' into their throw. A slow controlled step that will set you up for the pull is more beneficial to distance and accuracy then a full on 'run up'. If a pitcher can throw a ball 100 MPH from a standstill then there's no reason a disc golfer with proper form can't hit over 350' starting with a slow lead-in to an explosive finish. Acceleration through the hit is more important than raw speed. I'd discourage you from 'running' into the throw.

I would recomend that noobs start off learning to do a standstill throw. It will help you develop proper technique. Running up/X-step may seem like it's less stress, but you should develop a standstill throw and then translate that to a run-up when you nail the standstill.

I've never seen a Bowler or Pitcher 'run up' into their throw. A slow controlled step that will set you up for the pull is more beneficial to distance and accuracy then a full on 'run up'. If a pitcher can throw a ball 100 MPH from a standstill then there's no reason a disc golfer with proper form can't hit over 350' starting with a slow lead-in to an explosive finish. Acceleration through the hit is more important than raw speed. I'd discourage you from 'running' into the throw.

Well I was hinting at more of a moving approach than a standstill. A pitcher takes a step and falls downhill to boost his momentum. I played quarterback and pitched in highschool and can tell you I can definitely throw farther while running forward. An outfielder doesn't throw from a standstill but crow hops. This however doesnt totally translate to disc golf as I've found so far. I've noticed people get carried away with running and then tossing and I've found while beginning, your body and arm form are definitely more important than complex footwork. But he didnt say he was even taking a step.

Last edited:
I'm a noob dude.. I want to know if it's required to have a running start or not? That's what I'm asking.

Are you required to do a run up? No.

However, if you have good form then it will help increase your distance versus a standstill shot.

I say no...
I know for my noob arm, the distance difference is negligible between a run up, and my typical "stroll" up, or even my stand still.

I walk up to my throws just to get a sense of rhythm and timing to my toss...but as far as throwing further, it's rarely any more than I can do flat footed.

Logically, adding a run up just give you more things to go wrong in your throw...
I'm with the majority, that you just stick with a nice smooth release, that is accurate, whether it comes via a stand still or whatever...
Consistency is what distinguishes the pros from the amateurs...so the more variables you can eliminate... the better me thinks.

I quit using the runup but still use an X-step and have seen both distance and accuracy increase as my form is improving. I'm 46 years old now and I think it also reduces my chances of injury. AND you'll never hear me complain about short tee boxes again!

For myself, I am throw sidearm about 90% of the time and am trying to get away from that by learning to throw backhand. So far from what I've been practicing, the stand still or even the slow x-step has done the best for me. If i try to speed up and run through the x-step my discs don't go straight at all and the distance is minimal. My suggestion is try to get the throwing form down from a stand still or try the one step as posted above from Dan Beto, once you get the motion right try adding the step or two or even a slow x step.

At 0.3 years you should still be experimenting and having fun. Run up once in a while, stand still other times. Over time you will see whether or not you want to go through the effort to learn the correct technique or not. Have fun with it!

run ups end in disaster for me...a slow x-step is more my style

Same with me. For whatever reason, it seems that if you do a run up your body gets into this "I'm going to run and huck this thing as hard as i can" mode which, for me, ends up in the trees on the left, lake on the right, or shooting for the moon. So I stick with my nice walking x-step.