• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Salient HELIX Bag

Very nice video Tom. I can't thank you enough for taking the time to record and edit the video. The bag is a large bag and that was the point. This will fit are large bag market. I personally love a large bag as I have carried a mahal and spinal tap. Size wise I would compare it to the spinal tap.

Looks like Helix bag will find a happy home in Canada.
Thanks to those that PM'd me about.

Looks like Helix bag will find a happy home in Canada.
Thanks to those that PM'd me about.

Glad you got it figured out skullboy! We realize the helix is large and fits a niche. The new Ember and Spark will definitely fit the needs of casual and tournament players looking to carry less much better with some of the same features as Helix. Look for a video review of our two new bags in September.

Having seen one, I can say they're a solid upgrade from the Catalyst. (Though, with the issues that faced that bag, I'm not sure that was difficult.)

That being said, I'm only concerned with the price tag. It still doesn't seem to fit the need for a $210 price tag -- but hey, at least they're not charging for shipping like Grip.

The go-get-it slots do seem a bit odd to me. Maybe it's because I have a Grip and the quiver is just so ingrained in me. It's very Grip-like, but different too. But I'm not always sure that's good.

I won't be grabbing one (I don't really need one...) but I can see how people who want to carry a ton of plastic will be very happy.

I just hope they hold up.

Having seen one, I can say they're a solid upgrade from the Catalyst. (Though, with the issues that faced that bag, I'm not sure that was difficult.)

That being said, I'm only concerned with the price tag. It still doesn't seem to fit the need for a $210 price tag -- but hey, at least they're not charging for shipping like Grip.

The go-get-it slots do seem a bit odd to me. Maybe it's because I have a Grip and the quiver is just so ingrained in me. It's very Grip-like, but different too. But I'm not always sure that's good.

I won't be grabbing one (I don't really need one...) but I can see how people who want to carry a ton of plastic will be very happy.

I just hope they hold up.

I've been around just about every backpack on the market but the Spinal Tap, and I will say that this bag has options no other company offers. The extra side pocket organizational pockets, the lined valuables top pocket, and three bottom rails are three of those. The build quality is also definitely on par with its competitors. Considering I paid almost that much for my first gen Ergo, I believe it's very much worth the price.

It is gigantic though. I don't see myself using the bag a ton because of that, but I feel it's a winner for those looking to bring everything and more with them to the course.

The Helix is actually undervalued compared to all other bags of this size and quality. The materials are the best available, like Tbird mentioned no other company offers 3 rails and storage like the Helix. We also offer the same warranty as bags that are $50+ dollars more with not as many options as Helix. We are pleased with this bag.

The Helix is actually undervalued compared to all other bags of this size and quality. The materials are the best available, like Tbird mentioned no other company offers 3 rails and storage like the Helix. We also offer the same warranty as bags that are $50+ dollars more with not as many options as Helix. We are pleased with this bag.

Unfortunately, Kilgus, you telling me it's "undervalued" does not make me think it. From a business owner's standpoint, you might believe it to be, but you're also the one who launched the Catalyst.

I am glad that you are pleased with it. You should be pleased with your products before they make it to market. I specifically stated it was an upgrade from the Catalyst. I'm also glad to see that your warranty policy has changed. That's a step in the right direction as well.

Once the bag has been put "through the ringer" and it holds up, then I can personally understand the price tag. However, as it stands now, I think it's a little high for how it felt.

Also note: I am not simply against expensive bags. I own a grip. I just want my product to seem worth the price tag to me. And I'm wary at this point that this one would be.

Company #1 comes out, fails preorder miserably, fixes problem, and all is forgiven.
Company #2 comes out, fails preorder miserably, fixes problem more than company above, and is considered garbage.

:toughcrowd:

LMK when you find as big of bag with similar specs at the same price or "less" like you believe it should be priced-- yet you own a grip bag..!? :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, Kilgus, you telling me it's "undervalued" does not make me think it. From a business owner's standpoint, you might believe it to be, but you're also the one who launched the Catalyst.

I am glad that you are pleased with it. You should be pleased with your products before they make it to market. I specifically stated it was an upgrade from the Catalyst. I'm also glad to see that your warranty policy has changed. That's a step in the right direction as well.

Once the bag has been put "through the ringer" and it holds up, then I can personally understand the price tag. However, as it stands now, I think it's a little high for how it felt.

Also note: I am not simply against expensive bags. I own a grip. I just want my product to seem worth the price tag to me. And I'm wary at this point that this one would be.

I completely understand your viewpoint, and I would agree. Without years of field tested durability, you can only rely on the materials used and "hope".

I do hope that this bag stands up to abuse, and all the claims given it. It does seem to be pretty rugged, for that, and the materials used, I give it the benefit of the doubt. For how Chris and Scott have handled the "transition" of the company, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt as well.

Given it a couple years time, the uphill climb should plateau, and the other thoughts of "well look at their past" should reside and "look at what they're doing" should be validated.

Obviously you weren't disparaged, you bought the Helix, it just wasn't the right fit for you. I get it. I switch bags often as well, and keep finding myself clinging to my DD solder bag.

Thanks for coming on and giving your thoughts, and doing so in a constructive manner.

I completely understand your viewpoint, and I would agree. Without years of field tested durability, you can only rely on the materials used and "hope".

I do hope that this bag stands up to abuse, and all the claims given it. It does seem to be pretty rugged, for that, and the materials used, I give it the benefit of the doubt. For how Chris and Scott have handled the "transition" of the company, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt as well.

Given it a couple years time, the uphill climb should plateau, and the other thoughts of "well look at their past" should reside and "look at what they're doing" should be validated.

Obviously you weren't disparaged, you bought the Helix, it just wasn't the right fit for you. I get it. I switch bags often as well, and keep finding myself clinging to my DD solder bag.

Thanks for coming on and giving your thoughts, and doing so in a constructive manner.

He didn't purchase one he just saw and handled one. This is all fine as I am not going to jam a product down anyone's throat like a car salesman does. I am focused on laying out the facts and letting the consumer decide for themselves. I am personally glad players have jumped on board and purchased our products and I personally look forward to hearing from more and more players on what they think of our products. We have heard great things so far and I am looking to forward to watching the upward trend.

He didn't purchase one he just saw and handled one. This is all fine as I am not going to jam a product down anyone's throat like a car salesman does. I am focused on laying out the facts and letting the consumer decide for themselves. I am personally glad players have jumped on board and purchased our products and I personally look forward to hearing from more and more players on what they think of our products. We have heard great things so far and I am looking to forward to watching the upward trend.

Actually got him and Skulboy mixed up...whoops! Need to focus more....

And like you said, continue the climb, that's what will matter in the long run :)

Restock of Helix bags will arrive in customs the week of Sept 8th and then we will be stocked for a full 12 months.

Loving mine so far!
Larger then a Grip and much better construction. This is just what I was looking for. Right now, I have 19 discs in the bottom (5 putters, 4 mids and 10 drivers) there is still room for a disc or two! 3 putters in the top. Plenty of room left. I'm looking forward to puuting my shoes and a pair of shorts inside and checking out a few courses via bicycle. The bag is quite heavy with all my stuff in it and 2 32-oz nalgenes, but on both shoulders w/ the sternum strap I can barely feel the weight. And the elastic in the sternum strap is just awesome! I can still breathe with it all cinched up. Nice job boys! Very stisfied!

The top felt pocket and addition smaller pocket inside of it is very nice plus the large zippered sides being so well organized for storage of stuff, really stands out to me vs my hyzer bomb. The small zipper pockets along the bottom near cup holders work out great for putting a stool in and securing with the top strap or for bug spray/birdie bag etc..

The 3 rails on the bottom make this bag stable even on a hill and love how it rests on firm ground or benches being very sturdy. I also keep 3 minis in the bottom pocket and don't even use a few of the spaces without carrying a TON of stuff. Great bag thus far!

Last edited:
This is much worse than my recent experience with GripEQ which started with me being unhappy with how quickly they were getting back to me and ended with one of the managing partners calling me on my cell phone to make sure I was satisfied and to apologize for any inconvenience, and in the end everything being taken care of within 2 business hours of my complaint.

Can't stress enough the power of good customer service.

Meaning, in addition to my review, this is an excellent bag for caddy duties as well as a large tournament bag.

Still the best large bag on the market IMO

Latest posts