• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

sanding discs

satherton

All of my discs are DX plastic with the exception of a few Pro Valkyries. I have heard it mentioned that it is legal to sand down the rough spots on the edge of a disc that might tear or cut your throwing hand. What grits or types of sanding devices do most players use on their dics? Any input would be appreciated!

-Steve A.

only "excessive" sanding is illegal. I actually use a 3m green scuffy pad for mine and it works great

rubbing the disc on carpet works great for removing burrs and flashing, smoothing gouges, etc.

I use an electric fingernail buffer for fixing all my discs, feel a little gay at times when I'm doing it but the results are worth it. 7 different heads for the buffer, from a cloth felty thing too a rough metal file type dealie.

On the sanding note, I sanded the bottom of one of my star wraiths earlier this year and found I was able to hyzer flip it into a sweet turn with my sidearm. obviously I was a little overzealous with the sanding, use extremely fine grained sand paper if you are using it on large areas. as for small dings, I think its best to use something that will only hit the area you want to fix (like an electric fingernail buffer...ask your girlfriend, just don't tell her why you need it lol).

I use a metal emmy board for sanding down discs now. 2 minutes, and the flashing is GONE! I took the flashing off a CE EL (and that is some hard flashing) in about 3 minutes.

Jesse B 707 said:
what exactly does removing the flashing do for the disc?

Make it fly like it was intended.

Flashing basically adds a bead to the bottom of the disc, or, in the case of CE discs, adds a notch to the wing.

Flashing = Added Stability.

Wow! Thanks for all of the suggestions. Since most of my discs are DX, many of them get to the point where there isn't a smooth surface to hold onto after awhile.