• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Santa Cruz/Monterey trip planned

Danger

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
Hey all, a few of us are traveling up the course to hit up a few favorites, here is our tentative schedule:

Sunset time for trip: 5:00PM

Sunday, November 20th:
Preface: We have played this area before, Waller Pines is our fave and we have not played Sea Pines in Los Osos (and we like bolf courses).
-Waller Pines
-Sea Pines Golf Resort

Monday, November 21st: (we may be hung over, so coupled with a 2-3 hour drive up the coast, our disc time may be limited)
-Ryan Ranch
-Perhaps the CSUMB courses

Tuesday, November 22nd:
-DeLaveaga
-Black Mouse

Wednesday, November 23rd:
-Pinto Lake
-Aptos or Ryan Ranch weekly

So, we are staying the 1st night in the SLO area, and the last 2 nights in Santa Cruz. Driving back south that night after dark. Any suggestions, alterations, warnings, or advice on weeklies or guides would be greatly appreciated!

Sounds good to me! take course maps for sure and be real cool at The Mouse. Home owners are tryin to get it pulled. Someone jumped a fence to get his disc and broke a coupla fence boards. Owner went Ape sh*t and smashed up 18's basket. This is all hearsay, mind you. Course map wont do alot of good there, try to find a local, trust me. And you have to go after school hrs. but if your doin DeLa first it should be no prob. Have fun and if you were doing it on the weekend I'd join you!

I also just learned that Wednesday that week is a holiday, so we may do some schedule switching to hit Black Mouse and Aptos both that day before 3, and then the Ryan Ranch weekly. Does anybody know what time it will start for winter hours? At 5:15 (according to DGCR), it will be just about dark out.

. Does anybody know what time it will start for winter hours? At 5:15 (according to DGCR), it will be just about dark out.

As far as I know its 5:15. I don't know how many people show up to the weekday weekly though so there might not be too much of a demand to change the start time.

Who all's going up? I'm going to be in that area myself over T-day, maybe we'll join up!

Skip black mouse and play an extra round at Dela. BM has little to offer other than the fact that its amongst redwoods. I knew it was a poorly designed course when I smashed my hand on a tree throwing from a standstill on the tee box.

^Sorry Norcal, BM is actually at the top of my list and I will definitely be checking it out! The redwoods are a HUGE (pun intended) draw for me.

Baz, its just a group of three of us, I don't think you know any of us! I'm the only member here, but I still think it would be cool to meet up with you there, especially if you have any experience on the courses!

^Sorry Norcal, BM is actually at the top of my list and I will definitely be checking it out! The redwoods are a HUGE (pun intended) draw for me.

Really? I'd be interested in your thoughts of the course after you play there, but I too say play Dela twice.

Hey, I'm interested in my thoughts of the course after I play there as well. I will keep in mind that it does not seem to be liked by the locals, however I just can't pass up a round of circus golf among the redwoods. I hope we have a chance to play Dela twice, we may realign our schedule a bit because we just learned that schools will be out on Wednesday.

So we might do Dela all day Tuesday and do BM, Aptos, and RR on Wednesday.

Hey man. I'm a Monterey dude. We had our last Ryan Ranch Wednesday weekly last week due to the darkness situation.. I'd be willing to play Ryan Ranch with you that day though and show you around. Hit me up!

-A.J.

AJ, sounds good; as the trip nears I will PM you with more info as to exactly where we will be on what day. The lack of the weekly may change things!

That schedule looks mostly doable.

1. Don't pass up Black Mouse, it's a fun course.

2. Watch for the Poison Oak at Pinto and Aptos.

3. Ryan Ranch and CSU is doable in a day if the CSU is still 27-hole worlds, if they've split it back up into Oaks and Cypress then good luck getting all 3 of those rounds in...AJ will know more about all that. Look him up he's a good dude.

^Keep in mind that we also plan on driving up from the SLO area that day, possibly after drinking, so its a pretty ambitious day. Fortunately, the last day of the trip, Wednesday, is turning out to be a 'what did we miss' type of day so if we miss CSUMB or something else, we will likely hit it that day. Lots of 'playing it by ear' right now! Without the weekly at Ryan Ranch, I doubt we will want to play it twice...and will end up with more time at Dela instead.

^It just concerns me when people say that. Are you guys really just not proud of any other courses in the area? Is Santa Cruz really NOT a DG destination? Just Dela? Is everything else mega lame? lol...

I wouldn't say that. It's just Dela is superior to the other courses around, and if you've never played it before, then in all liklihood once you're done and recharged you'll probably want to have another crack at it.

Black mouse is fun, but there is little to no signage to find all of the holes and it's layout is a bit confusing.

Aptos high is also fun. More challenging than BM, but not as hard as Dela.

Pinto is a very good course with beautiful tee pads and such.

I'd stick to your plan since you want to play in the redwoods, but make sure you show up after 3pm if you want to play on a weekday, and respect the rules that any school (especially a middle school) would have with regards to drinking, smoking, etc.

^BM and Aptos can both be played in the AM on Wednesday, which according to both schools' websites, is a holiday! yay!

Not sure others are hating on Black Mouse so much, if you pay attention there is fairly good signage to most of the next tees. Not the longest course with bomber shots, but decently worth playing around. I love that it is never crowded. Aptos is a great course too.

Does anybody know of any good spots in the area for lit night golf or glow?

Latest posts