• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Scared of getting old!

What age do we start to lose distance?

• 30-35

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • 36-40

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • 40-45

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • over 46

Votes: 24 52.2%

• Total voters
It's not about age, it's form, technique and practice.
As we get older, it's harder to get by on natural talent and muscle.
Technique and practice will usually win over talent. Work on your form. Form mutiplies strength.
Then there's the whole putting thing...

I'll turn 60 in August about the same time to celebrate my first anniversary of playing DG.

So, I don't know much about loss of distance versus age since I haven't been playing that long. I chuck 'em out there about 300-320' on average and have found that the better my techique is, the less effort I have to exert.

What I have found out is that most of the injuries I suffered at other sports (raquetball, tennis, etc.) earlier in my life have come back to haunt me the older I get. Arthriitis and tendonitis are with me every minute of every day. Plus, muscle soreness takes a lot longer to get over the older I get. But, then again, that's why God invented Ben Gay. LOL

Will I let it effect me? Not even a little bit. I love this game and will continue to play as long as I'm looking at the grass from up here on top.

A good friend of mine who just turned 65 and has been a pro golfer most of his life has a saying: "As you get older, you have to find a different way to do the same things you did when you were younger."

If you're really worried about losing distance, hang out with fat people with really short arms. LOL

Woodpecker

Last edited:
I know of a local pro around here called HAMMER. He can't throw very far on a straight drive, he says because he's too old, but I can tell you he throws one hell of a roller, and drains 50 ft putts with regularity. Distance isn't disc golf.

i lost distance dramatically at 40. (the day after my birthday i picked up a 5 gallon bucket of water in my left hand and had my L4-L5 disc rupture, happy freaking birthday :eek: )

There are guys twice my age (32) that drive twice as far as me.

This crap is so much more finesse than strength anyway. If John Smoltz can still pitch in the Majors at 254 years old I'm not worried. There's this guy I know that plays in Castle Hayne, he's probably in his 40's at least, can rip it like crazy, the farthest reach back I've ever seen. Plus you can always get lighter discs and play on windless days.

I'm 45 and throwing the disc farther now, then any time in my 30+ years of playing. This is based on today's disc technology, I would have loved having these disc, say 20 years ago, to see what kind of distance I could have thrown.

Wait till you get over 40, your check engine light comes on. Don't be afraid of going for it and if necessary, there are a lot of good orthopedic surgeons out there. I have shoulder issues and am going under the knife in a month. I am promised over 400' throws once I am done with rehab (and I am over 50).
I do suggest you begin a consistent stretching program. I see too many younger guys launch into big distance without proper warmup.

choice a ) get old

choice b) die

not the hardest decision in the world.

choice c) live forever because there can be only one.
highlander_resam.jpg

As far as the poll.....Ill get back to you on that

I played with a guy in a tournament once that had to be around 50, and this guy was out driving me by 100ft. He was also about a foot shorter than me. I was very impressed.

age is just a number not to mention all people age differently. The way I see it the only way you lose a significant amount of distance is if you stop playing as much.

I can relate to this concern. While only 28 I am surrounded my individuals 5-10 years younger than me in law school and the USMC. However, I think as long as you stay in good shape you will be able to do pretty much what you can now for decades to come. The only difference is that you might be a little sorer the next day. ;)

The times I've noticed changes in my ability to throw far have usually been associated with injury to either my knee or my back.

Distance is after all - all in your feet. Without good footwork and timing, there is no turn, and there is no armspeed. So take care of your bones, stretch regularly, and you will continue to develop, and you'll last a little longer.

As Sauls said, it's not age it's injuries. I've known many people who've said something like "If I'd known I was going to live this long I'd taken better care of myself." At 52 I now feel that way. Be careful how and how much you lift.

I'll also echo his remarks on driving.

I'm 44 and hitting my longest distances ever. Of course, the newer disc molds and plastics have a lot to do with it.